PDA

View Full Version : broken DT!

DSMchad
05/24/2009, 09:12 PM
of all the things to happen, my 55 gal DT cracked while i wasnt home. i dont know if the dog was jumping at it and got it rocking around, or *** happened, but i came home and it was ****ing on the floor and had a split across the front glass. i managed to get most of the water into buckets and a trash can, only lost 5 or so on the floor. but now i have as much LR as i could stuff in and all my fish, cleanup crew and inverts, anything i could possibly save crammed into a 20 gallon tank, and one 5 gal bucket with a heater and pump to keep some other LR going. all of the sand is in water and it filled a bucket to the top, but i cant exactly keep it heated.
so what should i do with this mess when i get a new tank. should i wash the sand? im concerned with die off because there are a TON of pods in that sand and who knows what else.
i really cant afford to buy a new tank this week or next unless i can find a used 55 gal around here for a decent price. i dont know... maybe time to give up.... fish sale? :mixed:

1blackchicken
05/24/2009, 09:28 PM
Sorry to hear that man. My DT was recently broken by my wife so I used the excuse to upgrade. I would probably rinse your sand if you are going to be reusing it. Craigslist is a great place to find used tanks. You could also get a large rubbermaid container put things in temporarily. Good luck and dont give up.

Jeremy0322
05/24/2009, 09:28 PM
Check craigslist to see if you can find a good deal on a used tank, or if you have friends locally in the hobby maybe someone has a tank you can borrow for a while?

DSMchad
05/24/2009, 09:37 PM
i can borrow my boss's 30 gal but thats almost not worth the hassle since everything is in the 20 now. isnt much around here on craigslist locally.i CAN afford a new tank, i just really dont wanna spend the money on it, if im gonna do that i want to go bigger.And that is really cutting into my race car stash i need this week to go faster next weekend.

Jeremy0322
05/24/2009, 09:39 PM
Going bigger is always a better option, and now is a good time to do it if you were considering it.

PRDubois
05/24/2009, 10:00 PM
RUBBERMAID from Walmart till you find tank

Jeremy0322
05/24/2009, 10:12 PM
If you already have stuff in a tank right now I would just focus on getting a new tank for everything, craigslist would still be my best advice, you can even use crazedlist.org and search multiple craigslist areas at once if you dont mind a drive.

billdogg
05/25/2009, 05:58 AM
i would put everything in the biggest rubbermaid container you can find, then set up your new BIG tank and use the rubbermaid as the sump :-). you can keep everything pretty much indefinitely in the rubbermaid, so you won't have to rush around to get the new tank ready

username in use
05/25/2009, 08:01 AM
+30 on the rubbermaid. I like to always keep a couple on hand, just in case of a catastrophic failure like this. Don't worry, you'd be suprised how far you can push stuff and have it survive. just kepp doing some big water changes to stave off any spikes in that small tank while you get your other stuff together.