PDA

View Full Version : Need input-Vortech mp40 on 180???

acrouse
05/25/2009, 07:20 PM
Looking to completely change flow/pump setup on my tall 180. I want this to be the only pumps in the setup-no other supplemental pumps. (other than returns).

List of questions-
1. How many pumps and what size?
2. Do I need a controller for each pump?
3. If I do not need controller for each one, where do you just order the pumps. (found online for 419.99 think that was with controller and battery backup)
4. Can you mix the size of pumps on your system(ex. mp10,20,or 40-or do all pumps need to be the same size.
5. If you can mix do they have to be on seperate controllers?
6. Any pictures with MP40's in your tank to see size of heads?

thanks in advance for your imput and patience for all the questions. I just want to find out before I spend the $$$
jolene

redhanded77
05/25/2009, 07:26 PM
i have a 180g 6x2x2 that is cycling right now. i have 2mp40s on the tank, one on each end. at full throttle, there seems to be good water movement all around, but it will depend on your rock work. i plan on adding 2 more mp40s when i break down my 50g that they are on right now. again, i will place them on each end, for a total of 2 m40s on each side of the tank.

acrouse
05/26/2009, 09:42 PM
Sounds like you will have exceptional flow-do you think it will require all 4 to give you good flow in a 180? Or are you going above what you have to have?(to get exceptional flow) Maybe better asked-do you think you will have to run all 4 on full throttle or will you have to turn them down because of too much flow, so 2 or 3 pumps could have worked if you were just purchasing them?

My 180 is 72x18x30 .

Maybe I am just expecting too much from these pumps-or I have over-rated them myself because of the good reviews I have read about them.

thanks jolene

nikon187
05/26/2009, 10:46 PM
2 should be fine depending on rock placement and coral choices, all SPS maybe 3-4 depending on placement

Ldesp
05/26/2009, 10:49 PM
From all the posts I read around here 2 should be enough. I was chosing between a hydor delux with 4 mags and I opted for 2 vortechs instead. I just ordered mine the other day gotta wait a week for them to arrive.

redhanded77
05/27/2009, 01:47 AM
im sure 2 of the pumps will give good flow, again, depending on the rock work. i put the pumps of reef mode at 100% and there was good water movement around the rocks. i know this by watching the food i put in the tank, fly around. im going to have lots of sps, so i decided to go with 4 pumps just to be sure the flow will be decent.

acrouse
05/27/2009, 05:09 PM
Thank you all for your input. I was going to try to start with 2-3 pumps . So sounds like this will be okay.

I am just a little more confused now as I just read a post that refered to the MP40w GEN 2? What is the GEN 2, is this a newer model of the mp40w. Also, is the MP40 the same as MP40w?

I have been trying to read all I can find, but have not found a good site yet that explains how the pumps can work together. Not even on the vortech website.

thanks again
jolene

Nereaga
05/27/2009, 07:31 PM
The gen 2 refers to the second generation of the wetsides. They changed them to make them run smoother and not wear out as fast.

The Mp40 and the Mp40w are 2 different drivers. The Mp40 is the old ones and no longer made. The Mp40w is the new drivers and the w stands for wireless. If you have 2 of the Mp40w drivers they can communicate with each other wirelessly. You can run them in sync mode or anti-sync mode.

Brad

acrouse
05/27/2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks for explaining Brad-greatly appreciated!

jolene

acrouse
05/27/2009, 08:45 PM
I can't believe this-I just found out 2 minutes ago what GEN 2 stands for on the Vortech pumps and I went to read some more about these pumps and found a site advertising the new GEN 3 for 690.00??
Do they come out with new versions this fast?

thanks jolene

modifyd
05/28/2009, 07:27 PM
where did you find Gen 3?

Ldesp
05/29/2009, 12:08 AM
I just bought my Gen2 last week sadly still waiting on delivery.

I did alot of research and never came across anything on GEN3 .. I sure hope you are mistaken.

Let us know where you saw GEN3.

Aqua Keepers
05/29/2009, 04:10 AM
Yeah what's up with Gen 3?

acrouse
05/29/2009, 09:14 PM
I cant get the search to post, but if you google Vortech pump-the site starts out "Marine and Reef Aquarium Supplies..........then says New Vortech Propeller MP40w-New GEN 3 version.

Since I am just learning about these pumps, I do not know what is different from the GEN 2-sounds the same to me. Let me know what you find out as I do not want to order the GEN 2, if new version is out.

thanks jolene

Ldesp
05/30/2009, 01:33 AM
I looked all over last week before buying and did not see anything about GEN3 even a search today in google returns no results on GEN3. I am not sure where you are getting that information. I really hope that is not true as my GEN 2 arrive Tuesday.

Aqua Keepers
05/30/2009, 05:53 AM
I just asked over in the EcoTech Marine forum. I'm waiting for a response.

solitude127
05/30/2009, 08:38 AM
What type of corals do you plan on keeping?

acrouse
05/31/2009, 06:14 AM
Ldesp-I have also been doing alot of reading/research on the Vortech pumps-as it would be a first for me and never came across a GEN3.

Actually, I just had it explained to me on this site about the new upgrade on what GEN2 meant. I was just as surprised to see the search that came up with New Version GEN3.

You can find what I found if you go to google, type in exactly what I did "Vortech pump" . and hit search. Like the 6th or 7th one on the search starts out...."Marine and Reef Aquarium Supplies......New Vortech GEN 3 version.......". Like I said before, with no experience it could be the same thing just referred to as Version GEN3? I would like to also know, as I am just learning about them.

PITO-did you find the same search? Thanks for asking Vortech about this.

Solitude-I plan on some SPS in future. Right now just LPS, softies, anenomes, and clam.

I am also anxious to find out, as I would like to get my new pumps ordered. Where did all of you order your pumps from?

thanks jolene

acrouse
05/31/2009, 06:19 AM
Okay-Husband showed me another way to try and copy my search to include here so you all can see what came up on my search. Hope it works, let me know.

VorTech pump by EcoTech Marine distributed thru IceCap VorTech MP40W pump by EcoTech Marine ... With our new Wireless Wave Driver, the VorTech pump can act autonomously to create waves in your ...www.saltycritter.com/pumps/vortech-pump.html

Marine and Reef Aquarium Supplies including coral, caribsea, VorTech NEW VorTech Propeller Pump - MP40W - New Gen 3 Version, the latest American made and Engineered from Ecotech Marine.www.reefaquarium.com.au/

Hope this helps
jolene

DarG
05/31/2009, 07:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15107006#post15107006 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by acrouse
Okay-Husband showed me another way to try and copy my search to include here so you all can see what came up on my search. Hope it works, let me know.

VorTech pump by EcoTech Marine distributed thru IceCap VorTech MP40W pump by EcoTech Marine ... With our new Wireless Wave Driver, the VorTech pump can act autonomously to create waves in your ...www.saltycritter.com/pumps/vortech-pump.html

Marine and Reef Aquarium Supplies including coral, caribsea, VorTech NEW VorTech Propeller Pump - MP40W - New Gen 3 Version, the latest American made and Engineered from Ecotech Marine.www.reefaquarium.com.au/

Hope this helps
jolene

Just go to the Ecotech site, that will tell you whether there is a new Gen3. Maybe they are calling the Gen2 the 3 overseas or maybe they released something overseas that they havent here yet.

The Gen2 also upgraded the modes over the original Gen1. I think they added a mode or modified them. They added a night mode so the pumps automatically can be set to reduce flow at night at the set time. I have a Gen1 and a Gen2. The programming difference involves a firmware upgrade that the end user can make if he/she has a Gen1 and buys a Gen2 to add to the system. You can upgrade the Gen1 with the Gen2 wirelessly. Beside that, as mentioned, the wet side assembly was upgraded ... the wet side magnet is now completely encapsulated so it wont rust. The original magnets had a coating and after a while they needed replacing as the water would penetrate the coating and they would rust. They also replaced the stainless shaft nut and bolt with a resin type so no rust would be a problem with that either. My bolt and nut never rusted on the Gen1. And the baseplate for the wet side assembly is different to accomodate the newer magnets.

Not sure if this was answered for you but all pumps come with a controller (driver). It is hard wired to the dry side motor. The controllers communicate with each other wirelessly. So one can be set as a master and acts as the controller for all the othe pumps. The one pump will control speeds and modes of the other pumps without having to adjust each individually. The only think you need to adjust on the individual pumps is whether they operate in sync or out of sync with the master pump. I believe this feature only affects the two pulse modes. So anyway ... Thats where the wireles comes in. The controller communicates wirelessly to the other controllers but the control boxes are hard wired to the outer motor. You dont buy the pump alone, all of them come with a controller.

I apologize for using the bandwidth if this was already posted.

Ldesp
05/31/2009, 08:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15106995#post15106995 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by acrouse
Ldesp-I have also been doing alot of reading/research on the Vortech pumps-as it would be a first for me and never came across a GEN3.

Actually, I just had it explained to me on this site about the new upgrade on what GEN2 meant. I was just as surprised to see the search that came up with New Version GEN3.

You can find what I found if you go to google, type in exactly what I did "Vortech pump" . and hit search. Like the 6th or 7th one on the search starts out...."Marine and Reef Aquarium Supplies......New Vortech GEN 3 version.......". Like I said before, with no experience it could be the same thing just referred to as Version GEN3? I would like to also know, as I am just learning about them.

PITO-did you find the same search? Thanks for asking Vortech about this.

Solitude-I plan on some SPS in future. Right now just LPS, softies, anenomes, and clam.

I am also anxious to find out, as I would like to get my new pumps ordered. Where did all of you order your pumps from?

thanks jolene

Hi Joelene,

I went and checked out that link you pasted and did see them stating GEN3 upon clicking the link it went onto the website to state GEN2.2 .. this is the first time I have seen either of those and the main Ecotech website does not mention either. I would assume its a website just trying to get more business and falsely advertising or like another poster said it has not been released to the US market yet. I would write directly to Echotech and ask them to see what they have to say about GEN3 ... http://ecotechmarine.com/

To answer your other question .. I bought mine at Marine Depot... http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~powerheads_pumps_icecap_ecotech_marine_vortech_propeller.html

acrouse
05/31/2009, 01:45 PM
Darg-thank you very much for the detailed explaination of how the pumps have changed and work together.

Ldestp-thanks also for the good information and the links. I will also contact ecotech and see what they say about newer model. I do not want to order my pumps now if a newer version may be coming out. And who knows, maybe its the same thing.

Thanks everyone for the help. I just wanted to understand more before investing the $$$$. RC has always been a great place to go for information!! thanks again jolene

Aqua Keepers
06/01/2009, 06:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15113036#post15113036 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EcoTech Marine
There is no Gen3. If someone claims there is it's probably just their ignorance of the product line.

I just got this response from them

acrouse
06/01/2009, 08:23 PM
Pito-thanks for posting their reply. Its just too bad that the site stating GEN 3 are people selling and representing their (Vortech) products.
I may try and forward the search results from above to their website. Then they can decide if they want ignorant people selling their products.

Thanks again Jolene

DarG
06/02/2009, 08:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15116601#post15116601 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by acrouse
Pito-thanks for posting their reply. Its just too bad that the site stating GEN 3 are people selling and representing their (Vortech) products.
I may try and forward the search results from above to their website. Then they can decide if they want ignorant people selling their products.

Thanks again Jolene

Was this the link for the overseas website? ...

They may not even be authorized dealers. Depending on how Ecotech distributes their products, it may not be too difficult for dealers to obtain the products for sale even if they arent authorized. Or, they could be asian made knock-offs that arent even the real Ecotech Vortechs. Im not condemning this dealer ... I didnt even check the link. It could be a typo for all I know.
Just speaking very generically ... it happens and we all know that there is lots of shady buisness on the net.

Personally, I wouldnt buy a large ticket item from anyone other than an authorized dealer. It's not worth saving a few bucks to lose warranty support or all support whatsoever.

Ldesp
06/02/2009, 09:52 AM
I think its probably more along the lines of what I said. False advertising in hopes of grabbing unsuspecting and unknowing customers that have not done that much research on the pumps and what versions are out. They are just hoping to get more customers by saying they are selling GEN 3 when it has not even come out yet. Someone who has not done enough research just might by them thinking they are getting the latest. That website probably should be reported to EchoTech.

I am glad to hear all this cause I just bought my GEN2's from Marinedepot last week. So it is a relief to know that EchoTech confirmed no GEN3 has been released.

DarG
06/02/2009, 10:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15119244#post15119244 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ldesp
I think its probably more along the lines of what I said. False advertising in hopes of grabbing unsuspecting and unknowing customers that have not done that much research on the pumps and what versions are out. They are just hoping to get more customers by saying they are selling GEN 3 when it has not even come out yet. Someone who has not done enough research just might by them thinking they are getting the latest. That website probably should be reported to EchoTech.

I am glad to hear all this cause I just bought my GEN2's from Marinedepot last week. So it is a relief to know that EchoTech confirmed no GEN3 has been released.

I just checked that site. It's an overseas site (australia I think). Anyway ... looks like they are calling it the Gen3 just to have browsers click the link. In the actual description they are calling it the Gen 2.2 ... which is just the latest firmware update to the Gen2. So yeah, a bit shady calling it Gen3 to "grab" ones attention, then a little less shady calling it version 2.2 in the actual description. Technically it probably is the 2.2 version of the firmware but the pump is just called the Gen2 by everyone else.

Personally, that type of advertising makes me very leary of a dealer. It is atleast misleading and personally would have me wondering about the dealers integrity. But thats just me.

Im glad you got all your questions and concerns ironed out.
Hope you like the Vortech. I think they are great.

acrouse
06/02/2009, 06:13 PM
I agree about being a shady website and no way would I even consider buying from them. I always try to buy from RC sponsers when possible.

I did post on Echotechs sponser page to let them know where the GEN 3 question arose from.

I just happened to stumble on it as I was searching for more info/video on the Vortech pumps before deciding if they would be what I wanted. And to someone like myself, that has just started looking seriously into the Vortech pumps,( GEN2, GEN 2.2, & GEN3) did not mean the same thing. (now I know).

So thank all of you very much for your very helpful responses. I hope I did not cause any problems by asking about the GEN 3 version.(not knowing it did not exist) I think I will be very happy with the Vortech pumps. Especially now that I understand more about the different versions and how the pumps work together. Also glad to hear Vortech has great customer service.

Thanks again,
jolene

Aqua Keepers
06/02/2009, 07:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15119018#post15119018 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EcoTech Marine
I have no idea why that guy is selling it as a Gen3, it may be as simple as a typo. There's no conspiracies here guys, sorry. There's no such thing as a Gen3 VorTech here, there, or anywhere. The fact that he's in Australia means that he purchases through our Australian distributor and so he's not getting the info directly from us. This could explain why he may be confused.