PDA

View Full Version : Need some electrical help

Nanz
05/26/2009, 12:23 PM
Last Friday when I was out of town for only 6 hours my GFCI switched off and I traced the problem back to my return pump. I switched the return pump with another pump and tried to clean the one that kept triggering the GFCI.

My question is can I still use this faulty pump? What are the consequeces to using this pump on a NON-GFCI outlet just for short periods of time (5 mins). The pump still works and I would like to use it for pumping water from my salt mixing container to the tank during water changes.

Why is the GFCI tripping? Can it cause a problem in my house wiring? Sorry for all the questions but Im no electrical expert.

SeanT
05/26/2009, 12:32 PM
Did the GFCI trip just that once or did it keep happening?

Nanz
05/26/2009, 12:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15078999#post15078999 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SeanT
Did the GFCI trip just that once or did it keep happening?

It kept tripping everytime the pump was plugged in. I tested it by placing the pump in a bucket and plugged it alone into the socket and it tripped it with 15 secends several times. If I run it on a NON-GFCI it seems to work.

Sisterlimonpot
05/26/2009, 12:41 PM
Using it to transfer salt water mixture container to the tank will be fine. I'm curious if you figured out what exactly it was that made it trip?
You shouldn't have a concern with the house wiring when the GFCI trips (unless you have a faulty GFCI)
I had one that tripped all the time and I replaced it with a new (higher end) one and it doesn't trip anymore.

Sisterlimonpot
05/26/2009, 12:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15079011#post15079011 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nanz
It kept tripping everytime the pump was plugged in. I tested it by placing the pump in a bucket and plugged it alone into the socket and it tripped it with 15 secends several times. If I run it on a NON-GFCI it seems to work. You possible have faulty wire windings in your pump motor itself (excessive heat can cause that). Is it internal or external? I wouldn’t' use it for anything if it's an internal pump in fear of shock.

thorsky
05/26/2009, 12:45 PM
I'm no expert either. That said, if I had a pump that repeatedly tripped my GFI, I wouldn't use it on a non GFI circuit. Somthing is wrong with the pump, and the chance of getting zapped isn't one I'd be willing to take.

Nanz
05/26/2009, 02:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15079074#post15079074 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sisterlimonpot
You possible have faulty wire windings in your pump motor itself (excessive heat can cause that). Is it internal or external? I wouldn’t' use it for anything if it's an internal pump in fear of shock.

Its an internal pump, Mag 9.5.

I have no idea what made it trip the pump looks fine when I take it apart except the screws seem to have some rust around the edges of them and were not that way before.

reefergeorge
05/26/2009, 04:47 PM
Does it trip it when you turn it on, or randomly while running?

I would plug it into a non gfci outlet, and put the pump in a bucket of water, and check to see if you can read a voltage from the bucket to ground with a voltmeter.

I wouldn't be willing to stick my hand in the bucket if I were you.

WaterKeeper
05/26/2009, 05:33 PM
Although the motor is imbedded in potting material that may have cracked and water is reaching the windings. I'd pick it myself.

Sisterlimonpot
05/26/2009, 06:13 PM
^^pick??

stricknine
05/26/2009, 06:29 PM
It is not uncommon for a motor to experience (current) loss on start up causing the GFI to trip. I'm guessing the pump that trips the GFI is larger than the one that works? Also when you plug any load in to a GFI receptacle it has a tendency to arc which also causes a small loss and again trips the GFI. Try plugging it in real fast to alleviate the chance of an arc, or use a switch.

Either way, GFI's save lives. Always use one, and do not use an appliance that will not operate on one. Even if you are careful, accidents DO happen!

WaterKeeper
05/26/2009, 07:09 PM
Whoops, I missed that pitch while at the plate.;)

lenny8671
05/27/2009, 06:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15079080#post15079080 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thorsky
I'm no expert either. That said, if I had a pump that repeatedly tripped my GFI, I wouldn't use it on a non GFI circuit. Somthing is wrong with the pump, and the chance of getting zapped isn't one I'd be willing to take.

+1 If it trips aGFI then its faulty, just because it dosnt do it on a non GFI circuit dosnt mean its ok. If your just going to ignore what your equipment is telling you why have it? JMHO

Nanz
05/27/2009, 06:13 AM
Thanks guys!

I threw the pump in the trash. I scrapped the impeller and some parts but put the motor in the trash. I tested it again last night and after running the pump for a few secs on a NON-GFCI outlet the water became oily and the pump died. After I unplugged it it was very HOT!

WaterKeeper
05/27/2009, 06:31 AM
Smart move as it sounds like it was suffering a melt down. :thumbsup:

BTW-run carbon as the oily film may be phenol coming out of the phenolic resins often used in motor encapsulation. That GFCI may have saved your tank as well as you.

Nanz
05/27/2009, 10:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15083681#post15083681 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
Smart move as it sounds like it was suffering a melt down. :thumbsup:

BTW-run carbon as the oily film may be phenol coming out of the phenolic resins often used in motor encapsulation. That GFCI may have saved your tank as well as you.

Thanks I was wondering what the oil was. I always run carbon but I will change it tonight so its fresh.

Thanks again :)