PDA

View Full Version : overlapping silicone

nachocheese
05/26/2009, 04:08 PM
I bought a 210g glass tank that has clear silicone on it. I really like the look of Black silicone. Would it be safe to just put a thin coat of black silicone over the existing clear silicone. Will that anyhow damage the old silicone on there already? There is nothing wrong with the seams on this tank so i dont want to remove the existing silicone and reseal it. I will be doing this only to the 2 seams in the back beacause in i plan on paiting all 3 sides of the tank black and a about 1" of the front corners to cover all seams.

ironwill723
05/26/2009, 04:17 PM
+1...tagging along for an answer to this.

uncleof6
05/26/2009, 07:27 PM
Most silicone labels say not to apply over cured silicone. It does not stick well, and may end up floating in your tank at some point. I am certain, someone will pop up and say "I have done that... and....." but that does not mean that you should.

Regards,

Jim

troylee
05/26/2009, 07:58 PM
Lol.....that's what I was thinking to jim.......it won't adhere very well but if it is for cosmetic purposes only the worst that could happen is it will peel off at some point.......

rguyler
05/26/2009, 08:14 PM
+1 for Troylee's comments.

Your efforts will have a better chance of success if you clean the existing silicon real well. Isopropyl alcohol won't hurt the cured silicon and should clean it well enough to enhance adhesion of the black layer.

laugh
05/26/2009, 08:28 PM
I don't think it would look very black from the outside either. You would still be seeing the clear silicone and I think it would look white with the black behind it.