PDA

View Full Version : Tempered? or filtered lens?

lost in it all
05/26/2009, 07:08 PM
I read that you can use a filtered lens like a white laptop screen or a cell phone to tell if a tank has tempered glass. So I tried it on my 55 gallon and all the sides are the same with no lines even the bottom is the same and that has a sticker saying it is tempered. Any suggestions on being able to tell and no I don't know the manufacturer. on a side note I don't want to wreck my tank but it is going to be a sump so if I drill the side and it breaks just that side will break right? I could replace it with an already drill pane? Thanks

uncleof6
05/26/2009, 07:16 PM
Only the side you drill will shatter. Take it to a glass shop, they should know how to tell tempered/not tempered. The laptop screen seems to work and doesn't seem to work, the polarized lenses seem to work, and don't seem to work.

HTH,

Jim

lost in it all
05/26/2009, 07:40 PM
As I sit thinking about this it doesn't really matter then if it shatters i just have to replace it its cheaper then building or buying an entire new sump/ tank

troylee
05/26/2009, 07:54 PM
That's the spirit.....:) there's only one way to tell, drill it........:) fwiw my cousin has ran a glass shop for years and he told there is no def. Way to tell if it is or not.......dunno....I'm a acrylic guy I don't have those problems...:)

lost in it all
05/26/2009, 08:06 PM
yeah if i didn't have the 55 already in the house i would have built another sump out of acrylic, i enjoyed building the last one.. oh well that will have to wait for the frag tank

flskimmer
05/26/2009, 08:18 PM
place a laptop with the background set to white on one side of the glass, wear polarized sunglasses and be on the other side of the glass, the the glass between you and the laptop. If you see circular spot-type discolorations, it's tempered. Try it on your side car windows to see what I mean. My front widshield did not exhibit the tempered characteristic, while the sides and back did.

flskimmer
05/26/2009, 08:22 PM
just realized you have to hit post reply to get the attach pic option.

here's the results of barely touching the bottom with a diamond dremel bit.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b103/bradevers/Tank/IMG_1204.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b103/bradevers/Tank/IMG_1206.jpg

flskimmer
05/26/2009, 08:29 PM
edited: double post

uncleof6
05/26/2009, 08:31 PM
That one hurt.......

Jim

lost in it all
05/26/2009, 08:36 PM
Wow thanks so i should put down a garbage bag or two just in case!

BeanAnimal
05/27/2009, 06:30 AM
I think you figured out that most tanks in that size range have tempered bottoms... the hard way :)

lost in it all
05/29/2009, 09:56 PM
OH NO! My tank has a hole in it! :) Well the 55 was not tempered the hole is not perfect but not to bad for my first drilling experince and its on a sump so its not out in the open.