PDA

View Full Version : New bubble coral not opening

aquamanSD
05/27/2009, 06:11 PM
I just got a new blue bubble coral today thats not opening. It was shipping overnight UPS. He's not in the path of a strong current and i even moved him to the bottom but still not opening. Tried just actinics on for lighting and nothing really seems to help. I also have a smaller bubble coral thats already in there and doing great.

My lighting is 4x400watt MH's and VHO actinics. I can run just one MH on each side or both... So my question is... Should i leave the lights on its normal schedule? Or just run the actinics? Or just go lights out till tomorrow?

Jeff
05/27/2009, 06:29 PM
Leave him alone and it will open up if your tank is mature enough for him. Dont bother change your lighting period for each coral.

aquamanSD
05/27/2009, 08:34 PM
Ya that makes sense... I've just read so many things and so many ways to do it like leave the lights out for 24 hours every time you add a new coral and what not. I've never done it before but i've never had anything not open up the same day i got it either. Thanks for the advice Jeff :)

lostinthereef
05/27/2009, 10:37 PM
bubble coral like low light move it to a shady area

tatmanfish
05/27/2009, 10:55 PM
sometimes it takes a coral a couple days to get accustomed to your tank. doesnt seem like a big deal if you water is fine. if ti lasts for more than a couple days, then something is up.

lombard0
05/27/2009, 11:14 PM
Try to move the coral in a shady part of your rockwork if it doesn't open up after another day or so.

aquamanSD
05/27/2009, 11:54 PM
Ok thanks guys for all the good advice. I started it off in a shady area and later on moved it to a slightly shaded part on the bottom and decided to move it back where it was since it was a better spot and leave it there. All my water parameters are spot on so i doubt its that as everything else in the tank seems fine. Its probably fine and just needs time. I think i'm just paranoid since i haven't tried many corals and paid 150 bucks for this thing and don't want it to die.