PDA

View Full Version : Disasterous Experience

marineang
05/28/2009, 08:05 PM
Regarding order #A2672768

Incurred shipping delay (no fault to anyone except the shipping company). When I received the package a day later than planned, box was dripping wet but knowing the contents, I had no intention of refusing the package.

Opened to find the styrofoam container with a gouge down the right side and 2+ inches of water in the bottom. 4 of the bags were completely deflated and contained neither air nor water, merely dried fish stuck to the side. 3 of those 4 bags had no metal ring secured at the top of the bag any longer.

There were no heat/ice packs in the shipment whatsoever. Due to the delay and the weather in New England the past few days, the bags that did arrive intact contained water with a temperature of 53 degrees. Needless to say nothing in this shipment has survived. I contacted Live Aquaria immediately via e-mail and enclosed pictures as documentation. Not hearing back after an hour and a half, I proceeded to acclimate every specimin, though clearly deceased and then called them only to be told that a manager would be calling me back within the hour. I then re-forwarded my original e-mail to them twice more over the course of 4 hours to no avail. I then submitted one more e-mail via the website. It's been 11 hours since receipt of the livestock and no one has yet contacted me back via either method.

I don't frequently purchase aquatic related livestock online but being a member of my local reefing society and knowing many speak highly of LiveAquaria, their product and customer service, I decided to place this large order.

I will say that their customer service (and lack there of) is unacceptable and the worst I've ever personally experienced. They were quick to charge the credit card for the $300 order but apparently addressing the issue at hand isn't something they feel they need to do in a timely manner.

(If my file sizes weren't too big, I'd be posting the packing catastrophie pictures in this thread)

dfs/la2
05/28/2009, 08:37 PM
Marineang,

Thank you for your post and recent order with LiveAquaria. We sincerely apologize for the delay and damage to your order. We apologize that we have not responded to your emails. We ask you to please PM us with the problems that you have experienced and we would be more than happy to assist you further in this matter.

Michelle L.
LiveAquaria (LiveAquaria.com)
Drs. Foster and Smith (drsfostersmith.com)

phuzzykins
05/28/2009, 08:46 PM
I completely understand your frustration; nobody likes to lose animals for any reason. The one thing I can assure you of is that they will, without a doubt, make it right.

These folks have issued me credits for things I didn't ask for, and *wouldn't* have asked for.

Even the best of customer service departments occasionally get overwhelmed. Clearly the service you've received thus far is neither what you expect, nor what they strive for. Again... have faith that they will make it right.

I'd be interested in seeing the photos of your packing catastrophe. I'll PM you with my email address; if you'd like to mail them to me I will be happy to resize them and post them for you.

Cheers,
-Matt

Patrick12
05/28/2009, 08:57 PM
Sorry to see that your first post...ever...had to be a bad one.

F&S will do you right.....they always do.

marineang
05/28/2009, 09:22 PM
I received a response in this thread (great response time) but ONLY after I made this public. And even then, they asked ME to PM them with the issue's (which I did) but this is not making sense to me seeing as how I've submitted numerous e-mails AND phone calls to them today but yet even still - they can't find their documentation and contact me.

Poor customer service - again.

Should I have refused the package? Should I reasonably expect a matter such as this be addressed? Boy, talk about ruining someone's day. Maybe orders have to be $400 to recieve some problem resolution.

marineang
05/28/2009, 09:22 PM
I received a response in this thread (great response time) but ONLY after I made this public. And even then, they asked ME to PM them with the issue's (which I did) but this is not making sense to me seeing as how I've submitted numerous e-mails AND phone calls to them today but yet even still - they can't find their documentation and contact me.

Should I have refused the package? Should I reasonably expect a matter such as this be addressed? Boy, talk about ruining someone's day. Maybe orders have to be $400 to recieve some problem resolution.

phuzzykins
05/28/2009, 09:33 PM
Angela,

Here are your photos.

http://www.placebco.com/angela/1_std.jpg
http://www.placebco.com/angela/2_std.jpg
http://www.placebco.com/angela/3_std.jpg
http://www.placebco.com/angela/4_std.jpg

Here's a link to the full gallery (http://www.placebco.com/angela) , which has the timestamps and other EXIF information.

It can be problematic sometimes if you accept a shipment with obvious damage, as it becomes harder to get the shipping company to own up to the damage. In the case of live animals, I would simply take a photo of the box in the condition received, with the delivery person's ID in the frame, before signing for the box.

marineang
05/28/2009, 09:55 PM
Thank you for doing that, and for the info. I've never had an issue before and despite the poor customer service, I'm just more upset at the loss of the fish... if I hadn't ordered them, they'd still be alive etc... I knew they'd make amazing additons to my reef tanks and yet it all ended so terribly, it's SUCH a shame.

DFS/LA1
05/28/2009, 11:09 PM
Marineang,

Per our PM communications with you and at your request, we have put a credit on your account for the entire order.

I apologize for the delay and that your order was destroyed in transit. While the vast majority of our shipments arrive safe and sound, in situations such as yours where the shipment did not go well and there are losses, our primary concern is for the livestock. We continually strive to provide the safest shipping for our livestock.

I would also like to apologize that we did not communicate with you in a timely manner. The emails you sent had not yet been worked on. Neither I nor the supervisory staff was made aware of your calls. Our normal response to a customer such as yourself who reports a loss is to take care of the situation to your satisfaction right away while you are on the phone. That certainly should have been done in this situation.

If you have any additional concerns regarding this please let us know.

Russ D.
Management Staff
LiveAquaria (http://www.liveaquaria.com/)

jmaneyapanda
05/28/2009, 11:16 PM
Marineang-

Do you not have a telephone? I understand the sense of urgency in a situation like this, so why didnt you call the phone number that is plastered everywhere (even on the side of the box in your pictures)? You wouldve gotten instant and immediate resolution. You give them your order number, and they resolve it. You say you called. What did you say? Who did you speak to? But, instead, you sent multiple emails, and posted on an online forum? That is very poor response, in my opinion. If publicly degrading (whether maliciously or justifiably) a company is a course of action, BEFORE even dialing their prominantly displayed phone number, I personally question your motivations and intentions for doing so. JMO.

AuroraDrvr
05/29/2009, 12:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15094909#post15094909 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marineang

How is DF&S supposed to know who "marineang" is? Do they have some magical ball that tells them who someone on some internet board is? No. They need your information. Thus why they asked you to PM it to them. So they know who you are. Hardly "Poor customer service".

As for the 11 hours being poor time, I think Jeremy covered it well. You also have to realize that DF&S is a large company. That does many many transactions in a single day.

marineang
05/29/2009, 12:54 AM
Jman,
If you read my very first posting, I was on the phone with them within the hour - my first issue at hand was to get them all acclimating in hopes I could save one, some or all of the livestock. I DID call, as I mention. When I explained the situation, I was told a manager would be contacting me back within the hour. Before you suggest that I didn't do my part, please just read how it transpired. And what may seem like publically bashing a company, try being the consumer and have your repeated (SIX) attempts to contact any business gone unanswered, and you will be able to relate.

Aurora,
How are they supposed to know who 'Marineang' is.... this would be why I included my order # on my original post....valid way of identifying myself - just as I did on the phone when I called today.

jmaneyapanda
05/29/2009, 08:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15096007#post15096007 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marineang
Jman,
If you read my very first posting, I was on the phone with them within the hour - my first issue at hand was to get them all acclimating in hopes I could save one, some or all of the livestock. I DID call, as I mention. When I explained the situation, I was told a manager would be contacting me back within the hour. Before you suggest that I didn't do my part, please just read how it transpired. And what may seem like publically bashing a company, try being the consumer and have your repeated (SIX) attempts to contact any business gone unanswered, and you will be able to relate.

Aurora,
How are they supposed to know who 'Marineang' is.... this would be why I included my order # on my original post....valid way of identifying myself - just as I did on the phone when I called today.

Fair enough. I did not see the one indication that you called. That was my error. However, I still dont understand this procedure. Email 5 or 6 times, but call once?

I, too, am a consumer, and have had a survival issue with this company more than once. However, in each case, I made a phone call, and my concern was addressed immediately. I, do still, stand by my position, stating you didnt play your part before attending to this. If this matter was as urgent and critical as you are claiming (demanding immediate attention), then more than one phone call wouldve been in order. At the very least, to complain to them. The fact that it has ended up here appears to me top be nothing more than a guerilla tactic. But, nonetheless, I have nothing invested in it, either way.

They were quick to charge the credit card for the $300 order but apparently addressing the issue at hand isn't something they feel they need to do in a timely manner.

This is the type of comment I am talking about. Name ONE online retailer that doesnt charge your credit card when they ship you goods. For that matter, name one online retailer (of any kind) that will immediately and automatically refund your credit card within hours of shipment.

Regardless, you got what you wanted. The "worst customer service you have ever personally experienced", just credited back your entire order. Good luck.

aquaticvet1
05/29/2009, 08:57 AM
Marineang,
I am very sorry for our failure to resolve this situation promptly. It will not happen again and please accept my personal apologies. As mentioned , you will be credited for your entire order and we will deal with FedEx on our end.

If there is anything else we can do to help, please contact our customer service department.

Thank you and I am sorry,
Race Foster

snorvich
05/29/2009, 05:09 PM
I have done a large amount of business involving many, many orders with Drs. Foster and Smith. In general, all goes as it should, but when it does not, they always promptly make things right. They are the ONLY online vendor I trust to do so.

reeferoo
05/29/2009, 05:25 PM
I have also had excellent experiences with DrF&S
being timely is important, but more important to me is the overall result of the monetary issue being resolved.

sreefs
05/29/2009, 07:07 PM
I have ordered from them many times and a few times things were not as they should have been, but they always made it right! This is the only vendor when I order from I have no worry's!
Sorry you had a bad experience the first time.

vetdog
05/29/2009, 07:13 PM
I love F&S....one of the best companies out there. The customer service is normally top notch.

Macimage
06/03/2009, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by marineang

It's been 11 hours since receipt of the livestock and no one has yet contacted me back via either method.

You have to be kidding!!

11 hours and you are bashing them on a public forum!

You might consider giving them a day to get back to you. Everyone on the Internet is not on the same time zone and they may have a few other customers in front of you to take care of.

Originally posted</a> by jmaneyapanda
The fact that it has ended up here appears to me top be nothing more than a guerilla tactic.

Agree with that!

Nice first post marineang.

As the animals were dead, I don't see the immediate urgent need to have your credit card credited within hours of the delivery. It would be different if the animals were barely alive and you needed some type of urgent advice or assistance.

They are an AWESOME company.

tangafish
06/05/2009, 05:50 PM
marineang I am sorry for your loss of the livestock. It is always disheartening when that happens unfortunately I think your frustration is not with LiveAquaria but with the shipper. I personally have received many orders from numerous online vendors over the years and sometimes the issues you run into is the shipping. That is definetly your case. You certainly cant blame them for the shippers faulty handling. LiveAquaria no doubt sent you primo healthy livestock. They are the best possible online seller you can deal with. You may not feel like it right now, but I am sure it was after doing much research confirming their excellent stock and service that you even chose to place an order with them.

I speak from experience as over the years I have placed mmmmmmmany orders with both Live Aquaria and DF&S...some large; some small. The quality of the service and products you receive has nothing to do with the amount you spend. I have had some losses and my account was credited no questions asked.
I received a response in this thread (great response time) but ONLY after I made this public.
I have to agree with Macimage statement, it is unfair that you didn't give them enough time to get the opportunity to resolve it before you felt it necessary to post as you have. I assure you despite your implications you did not have to post in here to get resolution or your money back. That would have immediately came no questions asked had you just given them a little more time. Honestly, does that seem too unreasonable?

4wheelvfr
06/06/2009, 12:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15096880#post15096880 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aquaticvet1
you will be credited for your entire order and we will deal with FedEx on our end.

If there is anything else we can do to help, please contact our customer service department.

Thank you and I am sorry,
Race Foster

This should attest to the quality of their customer service. Marine fish are often very hard to get a good guarantee on and it's even less common to find a place that will stand by their guarantee. Kudos to LA for handling a problem that was probably not their fault.

euromomtx
06/06/2009, 01:51 AM
I just received an order from them this week with one DOA and I got a credit right away.
I did call the number on the instruction sheet and I called during business hours so I didn't have to wait.
Really other than credit your card what more can they do?
It definitely looks like the package got crushed in transit rather than a packing error, etc.

phuzzykins
06/06/2009, 11:22 AM
I have a couple of things I'd like to point out.

#1) The EXIF shooting data for these photos indicated that they were taken a day earlier than the OP claims. It seems unlikely that her camera's clock would be off by exactly a day, and it calls the "I received the package a day later" claim into question.

#2) Note that these are photos of a wet, slightly damaged box. They are not photos of dead fish. I could go downstairs right now and slightly damage and moisten a LiveAquaria box, but that won't kill my fish.

gogatsbj
06/11/2009, 07:08 AM
F&S has the best product and customer service out there, I have been buying live fish and coral from them for almost 5 years and have had 1 death, which they instantly refunded me my money for, on a Saturday...they didn't even require pictures, on my word....they are a great company and this bashing is crazy

Macimage
06/11/2009, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by phuzzykins
I have a couple of things I'd like to point out.

#1) The EXIF shooting data for these photos indicated that they were taken a day earlier than the OP claims. It seems unlikely that her camera's clock would be off by exactly a day, and it calls the "I received the package a day later" claim into question.

#2) Note that these are photos of a wet, slightly damaged box. They are not photos of dead fish. I could go downstairs right now and slightly damage and moisten a LiveAquaria box, but that won't kill my fish.

Excellent points!!

It looks like the OP posted to get a full refund (perhaps undeserved) and is now gone.

AuroraDrvr
06/11/2009, 11:05 AM
Well the quick way to check that, would be for DF&S to check the tracking number for the order. See if it really did show up a day late.

If I were DF&S I would also request pictures of the dead specimens. A couple simple pictures of a wet/broken box and cooler wouldn't suffice. However, I am not sure if marineang possibly already provided them?

Anyhow...

Macimage
06/11/2009, 05:11 PM
Originally posted</a> by AuroraDrvr

If I were DF&S I would also request pictures of the dead specimens. A couple simple pictures of a wet/broken box and cooler wouldn't suffice. However, I am not sure if marineang possibly already provided them?

Dr. FS&S is an awesome company and the RC posts that I've read about them have all stated that have provided refunds based on the customer's word.

In fact, I remember one post from an RC member that ordered a <b>VERY</b> expensive fish that unfortunately did not make it. They refunded the customer upon his word without any questions/problems.

aoeBombcat
06/11/2009, 06:07 PM
I once ordered Live fish from Drs F & S and 1/2 of the shipment didn't make it. I called and they give credit to my credit card with no prove after I explain. I ordered like $500 worth of fish and it was due to over packing and they didn't request for photos or anything. So it is kind of hard for me to believe they didn't get back to you for 11 hours and that many emails..... Maybe emails was undeliverable due to the size of your photos?? Too large emails and they are rejected??

But good to hear that they have resolved your issue and a full credit of your purchases. So now you can reorder the same fish.