PDA

View Full Version : Help with marone Clowns

runyonh
05/29/2009, 07:55 AM
Ok so I messed up! I bought a small gold stripe marone ana a bigger White stripe marone. I thought I was buying a biger gold stripe to go with my small one. However I did not, will they get along small is male and big is female. Will they bread, they are not agressive towrard each other yet. please help.

Sisterlimonpot
05/29/2009, 08:21 AM
Hmm, if they are getting along than you're already doing great. as far as them breeding I don't know. Do you wnat to start breeding clowns?

maroun.c
05/29/2009, 08:21 AM
Not sure if it matters which one is the gold strip and which one white, Had a GSP female that mated with a white strip male for few years. lsot the female around 1 year ago and now the male has turned into a female and mated with a white stripe male

livingcorals
05/29/2009, 08:23 AM
I had that mix up and they did very well. I ended up traded them both in. They kept moving coral around and nipping at my hands every time I put them in the tank. lol

runyonh
05/29/2009, 08:33 AM
Cool I was just hopeing I could keep both, more diverstiy. I was just wondering if they would breed. I think it would make a cool cross bread. The small gold stripe is the male and the big white and red is the female.

runyonh
05/29/2009, 08:35 AM
Sisterlimonpot
Platinum Reefer

Hmm, if they are getting along than you're already doing great. as far as them breeding I don't know. Do you wnat to start breeding clowns?

I don't know that much about breeding, but I think it would make an intresting cross.

IslandCrow
05/29/2009, 09:09 AM
You can definitely mix gold and white stripe maroons. They're the same species, so they can be bred. Obviously the pairing process is the difficult part. Maroons are very aggressive towards each other and the larger fish will generally kill the smaller one if they aren't introduced properly.

runyonh
05/29/2009, 09:53 AM
My lfs said to add the small one and then add a large one. However I have been told that you should add clowns at the same time. So I bought a small gold stripe and then by mistake bought a big white stripe. I add them at the same time in a 120gal. They are the only fish in the tank.

HumbleLobster
05/29/2009, 10:22 AM
If the female hasn't killed the male in a week I'd say you're fine. Maroons are extremely agressive to other clowns, and if the female rejects the male she will kill it. If she accepts it, then no problems!

IslandCrow
05/29/2009, 12:33 PM
How are the two fish reacting to each other. Your tank may be big enough to keep them from killing each other, but the procedure you used is not what you generally want to do for maroon clowns. It works for other species, but maroons are particularly aggressive towards each other,so keep a close eye on them, and be ready to remove one or the other. If you go to the Clownfish and Anemone forum, there are procedures on proper pairing procedures for different species of clownfish.

runyonh
05/29/2009, 12:40 PM
Thank you Islandcrow, I will check the proper procedure out. Right now they are doing fine she will go at him every now and then. He will turn on his side and do a dance and she will leve him alone. She is leting him stay beside her.

reeferoo
05/29/2009, 01:11 PM
The little male is doing a submissive dance. If the female accepts it, she will cause his growth to be stunted and stop him from growing into a female. It sounds like you have a match and the dancing is often a good sign. My maroon is a good 4+" and she totally bites me allll the time- big meany! She also body slams- trying to use her gill spines on me-

watch for that with Maroons- careful with them in nets as they can get these spines caught!

She has spawned with her mate a few times but it seems to strongly depend on how recently i have reaquascaped, etc.

runyonh
05/29/2009, 01:23 PM
That is cool I hope my female will accept. I did not relize how hard it was to get a mated pair of maroons. It was my ignorance just assuming it was like all other clowns. I will watch her and if she gets rough seperate them. Thank you all for the advice and the help. I hope if she accepts the male, and mine will spawn that is realy cool reeferoo that your maroons have spawned.

agsansoo
05/29/2009, 01:28 PM
Pairing maroons is easy. If you know how. "Breeders little secret". ;)

runyonh
05/29/2009, 02:34 PM
Pairing maroons is easy. If you know how. "Breeders little secret".

Well Im gussing your not giving up info, am I on the right track.