PDA

View Full Version : 2 Ice cap 430 ballast - T12s or ??

lawdawg18
05/29/2009, 08:49 AM
I posted this in the equipment section but it wasn't getting much action so I thought I would try here.

I have been moving my 150 aquarium to our new house. The tank is going in wall. I will be doing away with the canopy and hanging the lights from the ceiling. It is time for new bulbs, I have had these for several years. I have two icecap 430 ballast. Each ballast runs 2 72inch VHO tubes.

I am not finding a large selection of t12 bulbs, are they outdated??

I was wondering since I am going to replace the tubes and rewire if I should look into other lighting options.

How much more trouble and $$ to go with T5s? Are the 5s better than the 12s??

I think the 430 will also power PC lights. are those good option??

For whatever lighting methods you suggest please include some specifics number of bulbs, lengths, VHOs, etc etc....

No corals in the tank right now but I do plan to add corals.

Jason

Sisterlimonpot
05/29/2009, 09:27 AM
Jason,
It appears WK isn't on right now. (He'd be all over this question)
I heard as well that VHO's are starting to phase out but there are plenty of companies still making them and they just came out with new bulbs so I don't think we will see them go anytime soon.

Anyway, yes T5's are the next best thing, but personally I think you can get a better color combination with VHO's. (super actinics coupled with 50/50 bulbs)

If you're looking to spend the money and wanting to upgrade, the best lighting for corals are MH coupled with super actinic VHO's (to give you that blue pop) is the way to go. That way you can still use those ballast.

I don't know if your ballast can be used with PC's but if your going to have corals I would stray from PC's anyway.
HTH