PDA

View Full Version : replacing 250w de bulbs

welsher7
05/29/2009, 11:32 AM
This may seem stupid but hear me out, I bought a refurbished 250w outer orbit fixture. When the light arrived the bulb was already in the socket. Now when i tried to remove the bulb i lifted the one end (like you would a 150w de bulb, and ended up breaking it. I have the one end stuck in the fixture still. Any one know how i could get that out?

Obviously you don't follow the same procedure used on 150w de bulbs for the 250w. Any advice on inserting and removing 250w de bulbs? I feel so stupid asking that but i would hate to break $70.00 bulbs.

welsher7
06/01/2009, 05:41 AM
anybody?

argi
06/01/2009, 07:05 AM
To remove the piece left in there, unplug the fixture and use needlenose plyers.

To get bulbs out I try to put a couple of fingers under each side of the ceramic socket and apply even force to get the bulb out.

To put bulbs in I basically do the opposite...put the bulb in place and apply even pressure on both sides.

I have also heard using white lithium grease, which is a water resisting grease can also slow/stop corrosion which causes much of the friction to begin with can help out getting the bulbs in and out. It will not impede the effectiveness of the bulbs and/or ballast. You can get this stuff from Home Depot or Lowes and it's fairly inexpensive at around $5 a tube. I haven't tried it yet, but may as the last bulb I installed I cracked the ceramic endcap of the bulb (but it is still working fine).

HTH,

Keith