PDA

View Full Version : Research on Flatworms

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
05/29/2009, 12:38 PM
Hey all,

In my lab we are trying to incorporate flatworms into our study of senescence (reaons for aging/mortality). There are computer models and projects currently being conducted on bacteria but planaria are a hopeful eukaryotic extension and support to that research.

We are obtaining freshwater varieties from other institutions but being a reefer, I remembered seeing a few red planaria in my own tanks not that I could find them ever again. We need specimens with asexual reproduction, short division times, and relatively easy care (small volumes like petri dishes) requirements.

1. Does anyone know of a saltwater flatworm that meets those requirements?
2. If you have a current population, would you mail a few for research?

Thanks!

L98-Z
05/29/2009, 12:41 PM
I have too many. Infact, if you can remove all of them for me, I'll pay you!

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
05/29/2009, 01:03 PM
Great! Do you know if they will survive if kept in small petri dishes (changing to new every day)? I would definitely cover shipping and packaging costs.

L98-Z
05/29/2009, 01:28 PM
I honestly have no idea what they'll survive. I know they can multiply quickly, but that's really about as far as it goes.

entropygain
05/29/2009, 06:41 PM
Black/Dave

I'm a UCSD alum and live in Encinitas.
Still have some red flatworms in my frag system that haven't been able to get rid of.
Be glad to give you some if you want to try.

I'm off for a couple weeks at a gordon conference and another meeting, back June 16.rs
let me know if you want some
scott

you've got PM