PDA

View Full Version : frp board

dilloncovington
05/29/2009, 07:04 PM
i was wonderin if u could line plywood tanks with frp board
thanks in advance

therealfatman
05/29/2009, 08:47 PM
The joining of the edges is done with a plastic welder (Thermal welding) where a plastic rod of an identical plastic is used as a filler material. A good plastic welder runs over $400 and requires a blower or compressor in addition. Also great care must be made to assure all fibers are trimmed back to the cut edge so as to not foul the seam. There is also the problem of knowing whether or not the platic is PVC, as is most common, as getting rod to match an off type platic could be difficult. It is common for people to cut rod out of the plastic they are using but that can not be done withn FRP panels due to the fibers. I have lined wood tanks with FRP, but I own a couple Laramy plastic welding outfits and a few blowers. The better welders such as the Laramy come with different wattage heaters and different tips and will last near to for ever. There are cheap ones not needing a compressor but they are very slow to work with and burn out quickly. However, they can be bough as cheaply as $39.99

dilloncovington
05/29/2009, 09:58 PM
wat about using silocone

therealfatman
05/30/2009, 04:55 AM
I wouldn't recommend it. I have seen a lot of silicone peel off of PVC. I have knwn a few pr eople who have used the channel strips made for FRP that are made pf PVC. They used it on every joint and used Oakey PVC cement on every joint. They said it was a PITA and that they still ended up using some silicone over the Oakley cemented corners in difficult areas such as the bottom corners.

BeanAnimal
05/30/2009, 06:30 AM
If you attempted to use hte corner strips, heavy bodied cement would be the better choice, or even a plastic epoxy. The $39 plastic welder that fatman mentioned can be had from eBay or Harbor Freight. They are not junk, but (as mentioned) they are not professional tools. They can be modded to work ok. Talk to H20ENG.. he has played with one a lot.

When it is all said and done, epoxy resin and glass cloth may be the easiest.

therealfatman
05/30/2009, 04:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15102368#post15102368 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
If you attempted to use hte corner strips, heavy bodied cement would be the better choice, or even a plastic epoxy. The $39 plastic welder that fatman mentioned can be had from eBay or Harbor Freight. They are not junk, but (as mentioned) they are not professional tools. They can be modded to work ok. Talk to H20ENG.. he has played with one a lot.

When it is all said and done, epoxy resin and glass cloth may be the easiest.

But very expensive if you mean sa pouring epoxy and not fiberglass resin as in automotive and boat resin. In general it seems most people who build an epoxied wood tank state it definitely costs a good deal more than a comparatably sized mass manafactured glass tank. Likely they are even more expensive than a custom glass tank including shipping.

dilloncovington
05/31/2009, 03:22 PM
ok i will probably use the cement and silicone