PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching rock?

lougotzz
05/29/2009, 07:40 PM
Hello everyone,
I have seen people have very white rock when they first add it to their tanks. Are they bleaching dried rrock? If so, how do they do this, and how do they get their bacteria and everything. Doesnt bleaching the rock kill all teh bacteria? I am looking to get taht white rock in my tank, and would like to know as much as I can about it.
Thanks.

reef2
05/29/2009, 07:46 PM
i bleached 500# of lr. well it was live until i bleached it:) what i did was soak the rock in water with some bleach for 2 days. after 2 days i drained the tubs and add just fresh water. after 2 more days i just let them dry out for a couple weeks. yes everything is dead on the rock. i just bought a few choice peices of live rock from my lfs to reseed it. im running the rock in my reef right now without any problems and its starting to color up.

lougotzz
05/29/2009, 07:55 PM
Alright, when I bleach it, can I use dried rock? Is the goal here to start off white, and eventually have it covered in just purple and coraline algae? I can use chlorox bleach? How long is the wait until the whole thing was reseeded?
Thanks.

jenglish
05/29/2009, 08:57 PM
What color is your rock now? I have had some rock come out pretty white after an acid bath but I wasn't trying to change color as much as purge organics

lougotzz
05/29/2009, 09:19 PM
I dont ahve the rock yet. I was thinking of buying it dry to save money, and then bleach it.

reef2
05/29/2009, 09:29 PM
dry rock should be pretty white to begin with. the reason i bleached mine was to rid it of any pest/algea.