PDA

View Full Version : Got a small Maxima

Trandall
05/29/2009, 08:28 PM
Tridacna Maxima. He's a beauty, only around 1.5 inches. A *trifecta if you will, gold, blue and green.I've done a lot of reading and asked questions but am a bit confused. Been getting a lot of conflicting opinions. I was under the impression that you set the baby in the sand bed.
But others are saying you should put it up in a crevice in the rockwork and let him attach his byssal organ to something rather smooth and hard. then, after firmly attached, you can move him along with the small rock or object to a place you select.

Since I value the info I've gotten here, I thought I'd ask if any of you keep or have kept clams, especially babies and if so, what seemed to work best for you.

He's nestled in the sand bed right now and seems to be aclimating well. He opend very quickly, is sensitive to movement, etc.

Anyway... if any of you can offer any tips or info or point me to good info iId appreciate it. I've got a dozen or so books but the info on keeping clams is very limited. I've always wanted to keep one but with my other tanks and the way they were stocked it wasn't possible.

thanks in advance~

noahm
05/31/2009, 04:27 PM
I have seen this question posted in the clam forum a few times. It appears the confusion arises because in nature they are a rock clam, but many many people seem to find them to be very happy on the sand bed. Mine will go on the sand. The problem with putting it on your rocks is that it may outgrow its space and drop off anyway. It will be fine either way.

One thing you can do is bury a clam shell, flat rock, or similar item slightly under the depression of sand you wish to put it. That way it attaches to the item rather than the tank bottom in case you have to move it for some reason.

Trandall
06/10/2009, 05:58 PM
Thank you Noah. that's exactly what i did and he's doing just great.