PDA

View Full Version : bad news...

alextheromanian
05/30/2009, 11:43 PM
leaving for 7 weeks and couldnt find anyone to take care of the tanks while im gone that has even the slightest base of knowledge when it comes to saltwater tanks...let alone my mini reef...

the only person i could find can only come in once a week so thats the best i can hope for....

so once a week water top off and once a week feeding along with adding filter food and purple up.

if that tanks dont crash by the time im back im gonna do a lttle jig in my living room.

VacavilleFC3S
05/31/2009, 12:08 AM
scary

jpkboca
05/31/2009, 12:18 AM
At least get an automatic fish feeder. It's not much but will help.

Michael
05/31/2009, 01:02 AM
if you get a auto top off going alex and a large enough resevoir for a weeks supply of freshwater then you will be ok, make sure you mix up 7 weeks worth of freshwater and put it in containers next to your resevoir, get your tank sitter to fill the resevoir up to the top every week from the containers, also ask them to drop some food in every week, fish can live for several weeks without food and will feed off the reef, providing you give them some basic instructions with topping off and not putting too much food in you will be fine

lostinthereef
05/31/2009, 01:06 AM
no lfs can help you if you pay em?

lenny8671
05/31/2009, 03:04 AM
Im going for 2 weeks and not happy about letting someone else look after my tank...GOOD LUCK !!!!!

jener8tionx
05/31/2009, 07:53 AM
No one from the local reef club can stop by?

alextheromanian
05/31/2009, 08:33 AM
yeah ill have to get a small powerhead and some hose i cant expect the person to lift the big gallon jugs i hold the water in

the cheapest feeder around here is 40$
and its a really cheap looking one too sadly...

i dont know people around here in reef clubs

egh

im leaving on the 3rd...thats wednesday and i dont know how to otherwise i would have installed an auto top off a long long time ago...but if you guys can would you be willing to show me how they work and how much they are....i could host a water container below it in the basement

eb8919
05/31/2009, 09:08 AM
Good luck with that...when i left for 2 weeks i typed up a couple pages for my tank sitter and kept it as basic as possible. Top off, light feeding, clean skimmer. And a couple "what ifs"...the person knew nothing about aquariums. First day there he said...hey thats a nemo..lol i was worried but when i got home my tank did pretty good minus a little algae on the glass. GOOD LUCK 7 weeks is a long time.

jhoff
05/31/2009, 09:07 PM
Mayby someone should start a business Reefsitters.

I wish ya luck.

imcosmokramer
05/31/2009, 09:40 PM
if you go buy an ATO from autotopoff.com, it'll be there in time, and it will take you literally 5 minutes to hook it up, I kid you not. I would REALLY recommend doing that. It's only $50 for the dual sensor one. I can't imagine you'll even have questions about how to set it up, bc it's so simple, but I'd be happy to help.