PDA

View Full Version : When To Change Everything

twodaend
05/31/2009, 06:30 PM
I have had my Ocean Reef +1 for 1 1/2 years now. I have not replaced my filters, but from I'm reading I should do this about every 6 months so I'll be placing my order for the $22.00 - STANDARD FILTER PACKAGE soon. When I first turn on my unit I get about 50ppm before DI and 0ppm after. After about a minute or two, I get 0ppm before and after DI. I'm wondering besides replacing my filters, do I need to replace my DI and membrane too.

I have a 20L so I'm only making 5 - 10 gallons of water a week.

Thanks

Thefilterguys
06/02/2009, 02:13 PM
The 50 you see in the first minute of operation is tds creep and can be up to two-thirds of your tap water tds. Generally in the first minute it settles down to your normal reading which is zero and is somewhere between zero and one so the meter registers zero. Your DI is fine as long as it is producing zero tds and only needs changing when it goes up to two to three. Membranes generally last two to three years and the only thing you need to change at six months is your sediment and carbon filters.

Jim

twodaend
06/02/2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks Jim. I'll place my order for the $22.00 - STANDARD FILTER PACKAGE. By having my filters now for 1 1/2 years and I'm still getting 0 ppm before and after DI does that mean the filter is work as it should or I just have low ppm from my tap water to begin with?

Thefilterguys
06/02/2009, 09:37 PM
Your readings tell me you have low tds tap water but you still need to make regular sediment and carbon filter changes as they have no bearing on your tds. I have low tds and ran a DI cartridge for 2 1/2 years before exhaustion but I still did regular carbon and sediment filter changes. Even for very low volume drinking water systems we recommend yearly filter changes.

Jim