PDA

View Full Version : Few Gigantea Questions

JustinReef
05/31/2009, 07:57 PM
I have had my Gigantea for a few months now, so not long at all. So far so good though.

Few things I would like to ask though.

1. How much flow do they like? I was told they love lots of flow and this is an SPS tank, so it does have a lot but sometimes it seems to be too much.

2. Will they sting or irritate SPS if they touch them? I assume yes but I never really thought about it before. The anemone is getting awfully close to a colony.

3. How often should I feed it? Right now I don't really spot it too much but instead I feed the tank heavily.

4. Mine often looks like a toadstool...it rarely is actually 'laying' down on the sand/rocks like I see in pictures. I thought maybe too much flow? When my Vortech slows down, the anemone seems to relax a little and almost look better. But when the flow is up full speed, it does seem to extend its tentacles even longer which seems good too. Any advice?

Given Giganteas reputation for being very difficult to keep in captivity, I feel pretty lucky so far...how long would you think it takes before your 'in the clear' so to speak. Obviously its never a sure thing but if it makes it to a year, is it pretty good bet it will survive long term? Whats a good milestone?

Thanks!

JustinReef
05/31/2009, 07:57 PM
Oh and a picture to make the thread more interesting :)

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/_MG_6814.jpg

tufacody
05/31/2009, 08:06 PM
1) Most successful gigantea keeps will tell you that its not so much flow as it is "surge and rest". They seem to do best is random flow patterns.

2) Yes, anemones will sting corals, fish, and other corals. Its just what they do!

3) Feeding opinions vary. I think most do at least once a week. Several posts lately seem to be espousing more feedings than what was generally recommended. Since you have had yours for two months and it looks beautiful, I'd start slow and work up.

4) See number 1. Healthy anemones will find a spot that they like.

5) With this anemone, I don't think you are ever out of the clear! But with that said, I'd say two months is a fantastic start. Pretty much says that you received an healthy anemone, and now its up to you to keep it that way. I'd say the milestone is a year.

JustinReef
05/31/2009, 09:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15110578#post15110578 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tufacody
1) Most successful gigantea keeps will tell you that its not so much flow as it is "surge and rest". They seem to do best is random flow patterns.

2) Yes, anemones will sting corals, fish, and other corals. Its just what they do!

3) Feeding opinions vary. I think most do at least once a week. Several posts lately seem to be espousing more feedings than what was generally recommended. Since you have had yours for two months and it looks beautiful, I'd start slow and work up.

4) See number 1. Healthy anemones will find a spot that they like.

5) With this anemone, I don't think you are ever out of the clear! But with that said, I'd say two months is a fantastic start. Pretty much says that you received an healthy anemone, and now its up to you to keep it that way. I'd say the milestone is a year.

Ok thanks for the info...pretty much what I thought but always nice to get more advice. I have only kept bubbletips in the past. I honestly did not know how tough Giganteas were when I first got it or I probably would not have even tried.

I had to take down my 200G and only have a 34G solana now, so space is tight but the tank is pretty much dedicated to the anemone, so as of now it has half the tank to itself and if it needs more, I will give it more. My biggest concern was stability in a small tank but so far its been much easier than I thought with a reliable ATO, chiller and decent skimmer. I guess having only 3 small fish also helps :)

As for the flow, I have an MP20 full power on reef crest mode, so its very random and the anemone is definitely getting 'surges'.

I knew they can sting corals and obviously fish but I wasn't sure if it would do much if any damage. The carpet has touched a close by SPS once and didn't do any damage but maybe it wasn't touching it long enough.

Thanks again.

JustinReef
05/31/2009, 09:17 PM
Oh one other thing....

Sometimes the carpet seems to get a little smaller and keep its tentacles quite short and tight together like this:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/IMG_6502.jpg

Other times it expands and really extends its tentacles and just gets HUGE overall. I don't really have a picture but you can see in this one its tentacles are longer and more spread out:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/_MG_6801.jpg

What is the reason it does this? Obviously at night it retracts a bit and once in a while even balls up but I am just curious about why it seems to have these different moods. Very fascinating!

Also, how fast do they grow? I know it depends on feeding but is there a general monthly growth rate that is noticeable? Mine is about 9" now I would say when fully expanded.

adtravels
05/31/2009, 10:11 PM
mine does exactly the same as that, morning and evening it is floppy and smaller, early after noon (when the halides come on) it goes more "tight" the late afternoon gets real big, like clockwork.

JustinReef
05/31/2009, 11:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15111369#post15111369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by adtravels
mine does exactly the same as that, morning and evening it is floppy and smaller, early after noon (when the halides come on) it goes more "tight" the late afternoon gets real big, like clockwork.

OK, thanks. Mine though seems to be more random though and not so much routine. Although very similar...usually really big in the afternoon/evening after the lights have been on for about 3-4 hours.

I only run my lights for 6 hours a day but may start to go a bit longer for the anemone. I like 6 hours for SPS but maybe the anemone would like a bit more light. Might try 8 hours. Just increase by 30 mins. every few days.

adtravels
06/01/2009, 12:17 AM
Mine gets 6 hours in the week and 7 at weekends from halides I reduced from 8-9 to save electricity and it has been fine.

JustinReef
06/01/2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks...

So the night after I post about how well it seems to be doing the thing decides to move! I guess its not so happy after all :(

Still looks fine but its actually moved up onto the side glass a bit. No powerheads or anything it can get into but I am worried about why it would decide to move now. Because its an all in one tank, there is a false wall in the back. The false wall doesn't go all the way across the tank from side to side but instead goes to within a few inches of the side walls and then angles to the back corner where its attached to the tank. Don't know if that description makes sense but the false wall leaves a little area between itself and the side glass. The anemone has kind of put itself in this area.

Do they like to wedge between things? Have their foot in small places?

I don't like where it moved to but I guess if its happy that's good. I obviously don't want to stress it more by moving it.

tufacody
06/01/2009, 03:42 PM
I do think there is a posting jinx when it comes to nems!

Giganteas seem to like smoother flat surfaces and attach right above the gravel line, but they will move to suit their flow and light needs. You are right not to move it, too easy to tear the foot and it will just move again anyway. Obviously if its moving you want to make especially sure it can't get near a powerhead.

JustinReef
06/01/2009, 08:32 PM
I agree about the Jinx but actually it kind of looks really good today after moving in the night. Its very big and seems really happy. It also is in a cool spot. At first I thought it was kind of weird but its grown on me already:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/_MG_6864.jpg

I will take some more showing the foot and how its attached. Its quite cool to be able to clearly see the foot on the glass!

JustinReef
06/01/2009, 08:35 PM
You can see the vortech is just on the other side of the tank from it which makes me nervous. Hopefully it won't go for another walk and if it does, I hope it just goes back down to the sand and not across the back wall.

tufacody
06/02/2009, 11:40 AM
Don't mean to be bossy, but you need to move that powerhead or get it covered or something. It is a beautiful gigantea, but they love flow and could crawl over to it in less than 15 minutes. I have one that is very similar to yours.

JustinReef
06/02/2009, 11:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15119884#post15119884 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tufacody
Don't mean to be bossy, but you need to move that powerhead or get it covered or something. It is a beautiful gigantea, but they love flow and could crawl over to it in less than 15 minutes. I have one that is very similar to yours.

Well it hasn't moved again and I will take my chances. There is nowhere to move the powerhead and I will not cover it. I would sooner get rid of the anemone than move the powerhead :) Its in a 'dry' box built for the back compartment of the tank. I could move it to the side wall but it would be very ugly.

thorsky
06/02/2009, 11:56 AM
2nd that recommendation. No gigantea for me but my LTA has been known to cruise the whole tank. I got lucky in that it only lost a few tentacles to a power head, but ever since then I've moved it to a special tank (was going to be my refugium :D ) with no exposed inlets.

JustinReef
06/02/2009, 11:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15119950#post15119950 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thorsky
2nd that recommendation. No gigantea for me but my LTA has been known to cruise the whole tank. I got lucky in that it only lost a few tentacles to a power head, but ever since then I've moved it to a special tank (was going to be my refugium :D ) with no exposed inlets.

Thanks. But like I said I will take my chances. I know the risks.

If it doesn't effect the performance of the vortech I will try putting the foam over the inlets that it came with.

Reefvette
06/02/2009, 12:53 PM
Its only a matter of time. In your case i ditch the gigantea.

If that thing gets sucked into a vortech your going to loose your whole tank.

Gigantea are very sticky and when they get vorteched as i like to say its messy.

JustinReef
06/02/2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks...

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/602__image_09.jpg

Reefvette
06/02/2009, 01:35 PM
Well the reason i beleive people are "beating a dead horse" most times is that you never hammer your point home enough.

You were being very dismissive of other peoples advise, which led people to beleive that if enough people tell you maybe you will realize that its not going to lead to a good outcome.

Why take a risk when you can prevent it.

BTW VORTECHS SUCK

synofreak
06/02/2009, 01:48 PM
IMO, the nem looks rather healthy. I'm wondering why it moved? Flow would be my guess.
How about a different suggestion, as the OP is trying to keep the Nem in question(and doing a good job in my eyes).
Maybe cut some screening, and use zipties to connect to the outside.
Maybe fiberglass screening would be reef safe? Just as a precaution of coarse.
I have no exp with Vortecs, but do have alot with nems and Koralia. Although my Gigantia exp is limited to 3 months.
Just a thought, and nice job on the nem.

tufacody
06/02/2009, 02:47 PM
Sad that you would take your chances with such a beautiful specimen.

JustinReef
06/02/2009, 07:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15120571#post15120571 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefvette
Well the reason i beleive people are "beating a dead horse" most times is that you never hammer your point home enough.

You were being very dismissive of other peoples advise, which led people to beleive that if enough people tell you maybe you will realize that its not going to lead to a good outcome.

Why take a risk when you can prevent it.

BTW VORTECHS SUCK

Dismissive? No...I said I understood the risks and I was willing to take a chance. I never debated it or said anyone was wrong. I simply said I will see what happens.

And if you want to be in the minority of people who think Vortechs suck then be my guest but do it somewhere else. They are by far the best powerhead I have ever used. Nothing else has come close.

Not to mention telling people its only a matter of time is ridiculous.

JustinReef
06/02/2009, 07:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15120639#post15120639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by synofreak
IMO, the nem looks rather healthy. I'm wondering why it moved? Flow would be my guess.
How about a different suggestion, as the OP is trying to keep the Nem in question(and doing a good job in my eyes).
Maybe cut some screening, and use zipties to connect to the outside.
Maybe fiberglass screening would be reef safe? Just as a precaution of coarse.
I have no exp with Vortecs, but do have alot with nems and Koralia. Although my Gigantia exp is limited to 3 months.
Just a thought, and nice job on the nem.

Yeah not bad ideas. I put the foam cover over it (the one it comes with) and I think that would help. Hopefully it just won't move again. I hear they really don't move much at all (least likely to move anyways) once they are happy. It hasn't moved even a tiny bit since moving the other day. Also looks happier than ever.

JustinReef
06/02/2009, 07:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15120981#post15120981 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tufacody
Sad that you would take your chances with such a beautiful specimen.

When is this hobby not a risk?

I have devoted half of my tank to this nem if its wants it, stocked only 3 tiny fish so that I can keep it and still feed it and not pollute the tank, I do weekly water changes, only because I have the nem. I am doing a lot to keep it happy but one thing I am not doing is moving a powerhead that has nowhere else to go.

Not to mention I have a feeling moving the flow around will mean the nem will start moving again.

adtravels
06/02/2009, 08:31 PM
Hopefully it will settle, but I doubt it will be there long term, its too exposed and not perpendicular to the light.
When I got mine i had alot of sps in a 60 cube, (I know yor tank is bigger), As it grew I took most of the sps ( they will devastate any sps they touch) out and dedicated the tank to the anemone. That was always the long term plan.
If you have a nice big dedicated area for your nem in a 200 you should have ample room.
I would consider draining the tank down to the nems foot level and very slowly removing it with a credit card (you can sand down one of the edges) this should take about an hour, your corals will be fine if the lights are off and you splash them periodically.
Then relocate it to a flat ish rock near the sand.
I did this recently when I moved house and relocated my gig and it was not too bad, just be careful no prize fish are near the nem at the time and you are super slow and careful.

Then think why it may have moved does it have enough light and flow and als feel secure, it seems you water quality is pristine so thats not a prob.

Good luck

synofreak
06/02/2009, 09:40 PM
Sorry to hijack, but
ADTRAVELS
What do you mean by perpendicular to the light? I understand the open(foot) theory, but as the nem is on the side of the tank, would that not be perpendicular?
Reason I ask, is mine has always been on a rock and overflow, now entirely on overflow. Always next to the sand. BUT mine has never faced fully to the light, especially the foot. Always perpendicular.
"Should" a healthy Gigantia body run parallel with the water surface "alot" of the time.
Could you elaborate.
Sorry again Justinreef, but I think we both need "hear" as much as we can with "keepers" of these animals. Looks like we are both doing our best, but a little more EXP cant hurt =).

tufacody
06/02/2009, 10:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15122680#post15122680 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JustinReef
When is this hobby not a risk?

I have devoted half of my tank to this nem if its wants it, stocked only 3 tiny fish so that I can keep it and still feed it and not pollute the tank, I do weekly water changes, only because I have the nem. I am doing a lot to keep it happy but one thing I am not doing is moving a powerhead that has nowhere else to go.

Not to mention I have a feeling moving the flow around will mean the nem will start moving again.

You have a very beautiful nem, and you are obviously doing something right. I agree that this hobby is risk, but its also about minimizing it. I consider progress in this hobby the continued minimalization of risk to the animals we keep.

I'm sorry if this came off indignant, I was just trying to save you and the nem a lot of injury. I realize there may be no option to cover a Vortech. I hope you stay lucky.

JustinReef
06/02/2009, 11:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15123990#post15123990 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tufacody
You have a very beautiful nem, and you are obviously doing something right. I agree that this hobby is risk, but its also about minimizing it. I consider progress in this hobby the continued minimalization of risk to the animals we keep.

I'm sorry if this came off indignant, I was just trying to save you and the nem a lot of injury. I realize there may be no option to cover a Vortech. I hope you stay lucky.

No you didn't come off indignant at all.

I came looking for answers about the anemone as I don't have a ton of experience keeping them. I kept a bubbletip for 5 years or so and many tank transfers but it was pretty much bullet proof. I have no problem with people mentioning the powerhead issue but saying its just a matter of time is silly and repeating it over and over is useless. By the way, someone PM'd me about how they have had their gigantea (and many in the past) and it has not moved in 4 years now after finding a sweet spot.

I just don't want this thread to become all about the powerhead and wanted to be clear I am willing to take the chance. Whether people agree or not, I honestly don't care. I don't mean that to sound ignorant or arrogant but I know the risk and will be taking it.

These threads always get turned into "you know what will happen and its just a matter of time, blah, blah" and it gets old fast. Obviously the tangs in 4' tanks debate is the most common. :rolleyes:

adtravels
06/03/2009, 12:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15123558#post15123558 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by synofreak
Sorry to hijack, but
ADTRAVELS
What do you mean by perpendicular to the light? I understand the open(foot) theory, but as the nem is on the side of the tank, would that not be perpendicular?
Reason I ask, is mine has always been on a rock and overflow, now entirely on overflow. Always next to the sand. BUT mine has never faced fully to the light, especially the foot. Always perpendicular.
"Should" a healthy Gigantia body run parallel with the water surface "alot" of the time.
Could you elaborate.
Sorry again Justinreef, but I think we both need "hear" as much as we can with "keepers" of these animals. Looks like we are both doing our best, but a little more EXP cant hurt =).

sorry for the confusion, mine also was attached to the glass for a time, I dont thint it matters if the foot is at right angles or perpendicular to the light as long as the oral disc can face upwards.

I am just concerned that at that position, in justin's tank there is signigicantly more risk of him loosing the anemone as they tend to move at night and, imo, it may be better to move it. The fact he has a foam cover on the vortech negates the threat a great deal and its up to him if he rides it out and the nem moves down.

I think we all want want is best for such a splendid animal, most of all justin I imagine.

adtravels
06/03/2009, 12:14 AM
In addition I have been lucky enough to see hundreds of these animals in the wild in thailand, borneo, malaysia etc. They have always been pointing oral disc upwards ( towards the sun):)

adtravels
06/03/2009, 06:33 AM
also here's what it could do to your sps, this was a healthy coral before I had the move, i gave it a chance but the nem won when it found its new home.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/113133IMG_4531.jpg

tufacody
06/03/2009, 08:44 AM
ok, no more on the PH.

My gigantea is going on a month. Its is very dark green like yours, and the healthiest looking gig I have ever seen. It is very dark green like yours. I placed mine on the base of a rock right at the sand-line and hasn't moved since. Seems to be getting good flow. Since the nem was so darkly colored when I received it, I bypassed the screen acclimation, and raised my MH fixture as high as it would go. Yesterday I brought it down a little and he expanded even more, so I'm thinking he's ready for more light.

I also just recently started feeding. His feeding response is excellent. I'm feeding just small pieces, nothing bigger than an eraser on a pencil.

I agree that sharing knowledge on these guys is critical. But I'm not posting a pic of mine for fear of the curse!!

JustinReef
06/03/2009, 09:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15125390#post15125390 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tufacody
ok, no more on the PH.

My gigantea is going on a month. Its is very dark green like yours, and the healthiest looking gig I have ever seen. It is very dark green like yours. I placed mine on the base of a rock right at the sand-line and hasn't moved since. Seems to be getting good flow. Since the nem was so darkly colored when I received it, I bypassed the screen acclimation, and raised my MH fixture as high as it would go. Yesterday I brought it down a little and he expanded even more, so I'm thinking he's ready for more light.

I also just recently started feeding. His feeding response is excellent. I'm feeding just small pieces, nothing bigger than an eraser on a pencil.

I agree that sharing knowledge on these guys is critical. But I'm not posting a pic of mine for fear of the curse!!

Too bad, I would love to see it :p

What are you feeding it?

JustinReef
06/03/2009, 09:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15124865#post15124865 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by adtravels
also here's what it could do to your sps, this was a healthy coral before I had the move, i gave it a chance but the nem won when it found its new home.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/113133IMG_4531.jpg

Well if it wants to kill SPS, I am kind of fine with that...obviously I would prefer it didn't but I am not going to worry too much if it finds a spot it likes near some SPS. Most of my SPS has browned out after the tank transfer anyways :D

I am thinking of getting rid of a bunch of SPS though and only keeping a few pieces to put up high on a rock and then moving the nem back down to the bottom of the tank. Especially since you guys are saying it should be facing up. It just looks so happy the last few days and I hate to annoy it but peeling it off the glass. I had to peel it off a rock once before when moving tanks and it wasn't fun (used a credit card). Although I suppose the glass would be much easier.

tufacody
06/03/2009, 11:25 AM
I started with chopped silversides, and will try some krill tonight.

JustinReef
06/03/2009, 11:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15126385#post15126385 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tufacody
I started with chopped silversides, and will try some krill tonight.

OK, I have been feeding chopped squid, prawns, octopus, silversides, clam meat and some mysis. It seems to like all of it! I soak it all in vitamins but I am not sure how much that helps a nem. More for fish I think.

I have noticed my stupid female clown will sometimes try to pull the food out of its mouth, so I have to place the food quite close to the mouth so that the nem can eat it fast.

synofreak
06/03/2009, 03:45 PM
I've pulled a few clone BTA's off the glass or overflow with CCD's. Some of them weren't easy.
Would be a pain with a large Gig I imagine.
I mainly feed mine human consumer SW fish chunks.
My Gig also never opens up completely up toward the light. Always at an angle. And I'm only running T5.
Gotta be plenty of light though, as it was fairly bleached 3 months ago.

adtravels
06/03/2009, 08:40 PM
I would not even entertain trying to peel one of these off a rock, the columns are like wet paper, it was stressful enough getting it off the glass but can be done

tufacody
06/03/2009, 08:50 PM
I wonder if you gigantea keepers would comment on your nems feeding behaviour a little. Last night I fed my gigantea a very small piece of silverside (about the size of an eraser head). It grabbed it, and then very quickly curled it up to its mouth. However tonight, I took a turkey baster and squirted some thawed krill into it. The pieces are obviously less dense than the silverside. Some krill stuck to it, but it never brought the food to its mouth like it did with the silverside. I'm wondering if this should be cause for concern, or if its normal?

According to Fenner/Calfo, these nems rarely see larger chunks of meat in their natural environment, feeding more on smaller particles in the water stream. If this is true, I wonder if nems consume these particles not so much by gathering them with their tentacles but rather through inhalation of water through the mouth? Perhaps only larger pieces trigger the tentacle to mouth response?

tufacody
06/03/2009, 09:17 PM
well i was impatient, lol, and tried another very small piece of silverside. To my relief it was quickly gobbled, like the night before. Still curious on opinions about the krill though.

adtravels
06/04/2009, 12:16 AM
I hope that its OK it's to put this info in the thread, if not we can start another, but I don't see the point.
I only ever have fed small pieces, either hikari mysis, sandworms (polycheate worms) or the grated shrimp/scallop based concoction I give to my fish as food.

I did eat a couple of my fish, by accident though it was my fault~

tufacody
06/04/2009, 09:50 AM
Ad- what kind of response do you get with the smaller pieces? Does it immediately curl it to its mouth?

JustinReef
06/04/2009, 09:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15131151#post15131151 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by adtravels
I hope that its OK it's to put this info in the thread, if not we can start another, but I don't see the point.
I only ever have fed small pieces, either hikari mysis, sandworms (polycheate worms) or the grated shrimp/scallop based concoction I give to my fish as food.

I did eat a couple of my fish, by accident though it was my fault~

Yeah I am looking for all this kind of info and I agree, no point in starting another thread.

synofreak
06/04/2009, 04:26 PM
How did it react to the fish(food), sorry for your loss, but had to ask =).
I'm the opposite. I never feed small particles, other then it getting Rods food(regular fish feeding ).
I always feed descent chunks(1/2" cubed or so every 7-10 days), or Krill occasionally. It always reacts and folds. Never spit up.
Before I got the group of Occy's, the nem crab tried to steal food, but the clowns have not. The Porcelain crab now lives on the outskirts and underside(filter feeder anyway).
Mine has been moving ever so slightly, and I changed the flow a pinch, so we will see.
I'm also debating on uping the feedings. Your thoughts?
I wish everybody the best, and lets keep this thread going. EXP becomes knowledge, and everybody needs this, especially with this particular nem.

tufacody
06/04/2009, 05:16 PM
How did it react to the fish(food), sorry for your loss, but had to ask =).

Not sure I follow that ^

How do you feed decent chunks of krill? I can only buy the stuff in cubes, which melts into pretty small pieces. Is there another type that is chunkier?

adtravels
06/04/2009, 05:35 PM
Tufa~ smaller pieces are grabbed by just one or two tentacles, they detect the small piece and then curl up around it, that's the last I see of it, if loads of pieces are captured simultaneously then the nem closes partially as (I assume) the food is passed to the mouth from tentacle to tentacle.

Syno, the fish eating experience was a horrlble one, It happened when I moved the tank. The anemone was stuck o the glass wall at the base of the tank, I removed all the water down to the foot line, then the rocks but in my haste, stress I did not think to remove my fish until after the anemone was out. I figured they would avoid it as they had always done. I was wrong, as it was the only cover left they swam to it. The nem ate a potters and a mimic tang (juvi) a dispar anthias and a sixline wrasse, It let go of the potters, regurgitated the tang and I never saw the others again, needless to say I did not feed it for a week and wont make the mistake again, I hope no one else will if they read this.
Finally, I got the anemone at 3-4 inches across, it was in an old squamosa clam shell (handy) I fed and continue to feed every other day for the last 6 months. First three months it got a cube of rinsed mysis (or equivalent) and a drop of aahc from zeovit (dont know if that made a difference) months 3-6 I doubled the food. Last two week have cut back to feeding once evry three days as the tank recycles and the nem reaches a decent size.
here's a quick comparison to show the growth in 6 months.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/113133ftgig.jpg
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/113133IMG_4539.jpg

tufacody
06/04/2009, 07:22 PM
Ugh, what a sad story :(

Mine must not like krill, lol. He just doesnt close up on it, but does so immediately on the silverside. Do you feed at any particular time of day? When lights are off?

synofreak
06/04/2009, 08:26 PM
Man that is sad ADTRAVELS. I did not expect that story. Fudge.
Sounds like it did OK, even after 2 fish whole.
Very sorry again.
Yes there is Krill available in ziplock style packages, whole mostly. This I feed every 3rd to 4th time. Full size krill basically.
Again Adtravels, I was never joking, just wanting to know how it reacted. I've feared alot of my fish while I introduced it, before clowns hosting, as they were right up in it basically(blue jaw tang, checkerboard wrasse, bristletooth tang).
Another EXP that you taught to not do.

tufacody
06/06/2009, 08:16 PM
Well after 3 weeks my gigantea is now showing signs of going downhill. Very dejected about this. Not sure how or why, but last night it deflated for the first time and has not expanded today to his normal size. I did a small WC and changed carbon, but no improvement. I'll be very bummed if I lose this guy.

tufacody
06/07/2009, 04:47 PM
Just an update: he looks great today. If he doesn't crash tonight then he might be ok. I was feeding him every two days so maybe it was just time for a good ole poop?

JustinReef
06/13/2009, 09:39 PM
Im glad yours pulled through!

Mine is doing very well still and been on the glass for a few weeks...getting bigger and bigger. That's the problem though. I don't think I can keep it and have all the corals I want to keep. I would have never bought this nem for the size tank I now have and I think I am going to sell it. I really wish I still had the 200 now! It would have been a beautiful centerpiece!

How big do they get in captivity?

What is a smaller and good 'replacement' for my clowns? I am guessing there really isn't anything.

Thanks!

adtravels
06/14/2009, 03:43 AM
Unfortunately, nothing will ever look as good:(

JustinReef
06/14/2009, 09:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15190036#post15190036 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by adtravels
Unfortunately, nothing will ever look as good:(

Yeah I know...I think I will just get some kind of softie for the clowns to host in instead. I don't think getting another anemone is the way to go for me. I don't really like anemone's other than the carpets.

JustinReef
06/14/2009, 05:21 PM
So no one for max size?

I have spoken to one person who has had theirs for 2 years and its about 12" max and another person who has had theirs for 4 years and its about 14"...he also had one for 6 years and said hes pretty sure it never got bigger than about 14" either.

But then I am reading 2' on some sites. Although I am more interested in actual specimens from tanks and not what has been found in the ocean.

How long have you had yours and how big is it?

tufacody
06/14/2009, 07:46 PM
In the wild these guys can be measured in feet.

JustinReef
06/14/2009, 07:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15193566#post15193566 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tufacody
In the wild these guys can be measured in feet.

Yes I know. That is very easy information to find and when I was in Singapore last year, I saw them probably over 2' but thats not what I am looking for.

I want to hear from more people keeping them over 2 years and how big they got. So far I haven't found any that got bigger than 14" or so. There is one guy I know who claims his got to about 2' before it died in a power outage but he when he was buying my 8" Sailfin (I measured) he kept insisting it was a foot :rolleyes: So I don't believe the guy.

Not that they can't get that big in aquariums but it seems very unlikely.

Rod Buehler
06/15/2009, 06:50 AM
I have always read that a gigantea will max out at about 22" and that is what both of mine are at when they "stretch". With folds they are about 16-18" One of mine is about 5 and the other about 15 years in my presence.