PDA

View Full Version : Copper in secondhand equipment

micstarz
06/01/2009, 05:06 AM
I just got a secondhand Aquaclear 70 HOB from my LFS. Before I connected it up and got it ready for use, I realized that I needed to test it for copper (this thing came from a tasteless blood parrot cichlid tank) so I'm not sure what meds were used on it. Does copper leach into the filter if it was used on the tank? If so, how long does it take for it to leach out again? I've filled it with fresh water right now and am going to test for copper in a few days. How long will it take for any copper to register on an API test kit?

Thanks!

P.S. Where is Randy Holmes-Farley? :(

HighlandReefer
06/01/2009, 06:22 AM
I would clean off any deposits with a vinegar solution. The deposits on the equipment will hold the heavy metals as well as possibly the organic build-up. Once you clean the residues, soaking in vinegar again will help to eliminate any other left on the equipment. Rinse well after the soaking as the vinegar can cause bacterial blooms.

micstarz
06/01/2009, 07:12 AM
Alright. Will do :D I've placed a feeder shrimp in there to see how it fares...not a very good gauge I know, as they die so easily...

Thanks for the advice!

HighlandReefer
06/01/2009, 02:25 PM
Your welcome.

Happy Reefing. ;)