PDA

View Full Version : Diy fish trap?

jong101
06/01/2009, 11:49 AM
So I've tried the soda bottle trick, but this freakin' psuedo is to smart and fast. Anyone have an idea of how to get him out?

foxhuntr
06/01/2009, 12:37 PM
use a quart canning jar and put it in the tank with the mouth of the jar facing the front of the glass and sqirt alittle bit of mysis in it....... when he goes in to eat put your hand on the front glass in front of the jar.... that will keep him in the jar till you put a net over the mouth of the jar....... works for me every time....just caught a copperband butterfly from my tank.... works good

jong101
06/01/2009, 01:04 PM
I'll give it a try, he wouldn't get the mysis out of a soda bottle, but maybe the bigger opening will help

ctripi
06/01/2009, 01:23 PM
Wait until he is sleeping around 4 am. Immediately turn lights on and scoop him out while he's stunned. Worked for a flame angel and an anthias so far.

jong101
06/01/2009, 05:10 PM
I'll try that, the jar didn't work

Ocean Mang
06/01/2009, 08:37 PM
I got lucky with mine, I was able to take the rock out on top that he was in.

Big Boy69
06/02/2009, 06:23 AM
I ended up buying one. The soda bottle worked no more. I had to get out a 6 line and a coral beauty that were to major mo fo's. They attacked everything I put new into the tank then they would go after each other. I finally bought a trap and it was well worth the money. I forget the name but it was 35 bucks. The front looks exactly like a guillotine and a cylinder behind it with some holes in it. The front obviously has a sliding door with fishing line attached to it with about 3 million feet of line. I layed on the floor half way across the dinning room with a bolt, nuts and washers attached to the line to weigh it down and hold the door open. I left it on the floor until the fish went all the way in and then just lift the weighted part up and the door comes down and it's pretty quick.

Forgot, I always put raw clams on the half shell inside. This time I had to use PE mysis inside a piece of mesh netting rubber banded to a piece of tonga and it worked.

Big Boy69
06/02/2009, 06:25 AM
I ended up buying one. The soda bottle worked no more. I had to get out a 6 line and a coral beauty that were to major mo fo's. They attacked everything I put new into the tank then they would go after each other. I finally bought a trap and it was well worth the money. I forget the name but it was 35 bucks. The front looks exactly like a guillotine and a cylinder behind it with some holes in it. The front obviously has a sliding door with fishing line attached to it with about 3 million feet of line. I layed on the floor half way across the dinning room with a bolt, nuts and washers attached to the line to weigh it down and hold the door open. I left it on the floor until the fish went all the way in and then just lift the weighted part up and the door comes down and it's pretty quick.

spleify
06/02/2009, 07:56 PM
This is the one I made.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/spleify/IMG_2189.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/spleify/IMG_2188.jpg

jong101
06/02/2009, 08:02 PM
That's sick, I'm probably gonna fab a ghetto version of that

lombard0
06/03/2009, 12:31 AM
Did someone say about ghetto? :D
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/lombard0/my_tank/DSC07456.jpg

ghrorick
06/03/2009, 07:08 AM
What soda bottle trick did you try? I bought a 2 litter, cut off the top part (the cone part), inverted it and tied fishing line to hold it together and pull it out, then cut little holes in it to make it easier to sink and pull out. Mine worked well because once the fish was in it was difficult for them to get back out (it is the same basic design that they use for fish traps that they drop out in the ocean). I had to catch a clarkii clown and the trap worked well (of course that devil was the last to swim in so I had alot of catch and release, some multiple times).