PDA

View Full Version : Algaefix Marine progress

cnaegler
06/01/2009, 12:34 PM
Ok, everyone. I've had enough of the HA. I've done everything i can do to get rid of this stuff naturally. I had the tank on Zeo for almost 9 months with no luck..it actually seemed to get worse. So, i ditched the ZEO and decided to go back to fuge/ GFO about a month ago. Still no change. Then someone recommended Algaefix Marine so I decided to purchase a bottle and give it a go.
First off, let me say this. I DO NOT like to dose chemicals into my reef. I have tried everything i can to get rid of the HA. I've manually pulled it, I've reduced feedings, photoperiod, you name it, i feel confident that i've tried it. My Hanna reads .01, which, IME, is pretty darn low.
So, today's the day i start the first dose and i decided to keep anyone who cared, updated on it's progress.
OK, a few tank parameters first:

ALK- 7.5 ( salifert) (a little low but i'm slowly bringing it up. It's at NSW value so i'm not too worried. I hope to bring up to 8-9 ish in the end.)
Cal.- 400(salifert)
Mg.- 1350 ( elos)
PO4- .01 (hanna)
NO3- undetectable(API)

I'll be checking these before every dose, which is every three days. According to the bottle, my recommended dose is 5ml for every 50 gallons. I have approx. 225 gallons total volume so i'll dose 20 ml.( i feel i'd better stay on the safe side and dose a pinch less)
I mainly keep SPS so you can bet i'll be watching CLOSELY for ANY signs of distress. If there is anything you want to add or know, please feel free to post any comments, good or bad. I'd like everyone's opinion on this. thanks!

cnaegler
06/01/2009, 12:36 PM
Heres a few shots of before i dose anything.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll6/cnaegler/180gallon001.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll6/cnaegler/180gallon002.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll6/cnaegler/180gallon003.jpg

I really hope this stuff doesn't affect my SPS!!

pIankton
06/01/2009, 02:07 PM
Never any problems with this product and SPS and I've used quite a bit of it in the past. I do recommend trying to pull out as much as you can prior to dosing though.

iFisch
06/01/2009, 02:35 PM
cnaegler,

I'd post here as well:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1595003&highlight=Algaefix+Marine

It's the "main" forum for Algeafix Marine.

mat167
06/01/2009, 02:39 PM
from the pic it looks a little more like bryopsis than hair algae. best of luck, I hope this works for you. you just might inspire me to try this on my diatoms.

iFisch
06/01/2009, 02:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15114429#post15114429 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mat167
you just might inspire me to try this on my diatoms.

It works on diatoms. Expect them gone in 2-3 days. At least mine were gone in 2 days time.

mat167
06/01/2009, 02:58 PM
inspired! lol im ordering a bottle asap.

iFisch
06/01/2009, 03:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15114557#post15114557 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mat167
inspired! lol im ordering a bottle asap.

Any pet store will have it. I got mine from Petsmart, but Petco also has it as well. No need to order it online.

I used the AlgeaFix "FW" or "normal" stuff, which has the same ingredients as the "marine" edition. And the "Marine" stuff comes in much larger bottles. The "FW" version comes in as small as a $5 bottle. Of which I got.

NCSUsalt
06/01/2009, 03:19 PM
i thought the FW algaefix was not invert safe. at least the warning on the bottle says it isn't

iFisch
06/01/2009, 03:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15114706#post15114706 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NCSUsalt
i thought the FW algaefix was not invert safe. at least the warning on the bottle says it isn't

I haven't had any deaths. And I have a VERY expensive and unique CuC. Not your typical CuC.

$10 Halloween hermits, and rare/unique snails.

Been using for about 2.5 weeks now. Nothing has died or is stressed. Everything is operating as normal.

I WILL be getting the "Marine" version once I run out. Because now I know the product works, and the bigger Marine version bottles are cheaper per ounce.

cnaegler
06/01/2009, 06:57 PM
Well, it's only been a few hours since the first dose but i don't notice any decline in PE...everything looks good initially. Another plus is that my skimmer didn't go crazy either. Yaaaa!
iFisch, Highlandreefer is actually the fellow that recommended this product to me and suggested i post my results. I think i will copy and paste my post to his as well.
NCSUsalt, The marine version says it's safe for inverts and corals so...

bshumake
06/01/2009, 08:09 PM
hey cnaegler. Congrats on the algaefix try and I think you're gonna be happy.
Let me offer some advice/exp on this.
FOLLOW the dosing instructions! I got antsy and dosed every two days and even every day a coulpe times and it did not take the algae down any quicker. If anything, I would say it had no effect or was detrimental. I cannot say for certin that it caused/contributed to the RTN of an acro, but I did loose an acro during that time.
If you have a filter sock and a length of hose I would prune as much of that algae out as you can after the first dose. I dropped the sock in my sump and rigged the hose to syphon into it to catch the algae. Then I hand picked as much as I possibly could. I had to stop from the hand cramping twice, but i got as much as possible from the tank. 1 day after the first dose, the algae came off much easier than the first time, when I pruned before i dosed.
Thats pretty much it.
I have dosed twice now (my second attempt after a large waterchange to basically start me over at square one) and am seeing fantastic results. I slapped a sponge prefilter on my return and am amazed to see that thing is clogged with algae thats released and drifted off from the rockwork. Dose 3 is (i believe) tomorrow. most report that dose 6 is the moneyshot so here's hoping. As is, my HA is definately thinner and sickly looking. Corals are doing fine and inverts are as rascally as ever.
B

iFisch
06/01/2009, 08:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15115933#post15115933 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cnaegler
Well, it's only been a few hours since the first dose but i don't notice any decline in PE...

In many cases, it is many doses before anything is seen with the eye, but usually its working on breaking whatever is in there, down.

If by the 4th dose you don't notice ANY decrease, then I would question the amount your dosing and how frequently your dosing.

Sometimes, it doesn't work. But keep posting in the main thread, and we'll help you out.

cnaegler
06/01/2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the input, guys!

mudhauler
11/08/2009, 11:53 AM
I'm into my 3rd my dose as reported I'm also seeing the HA looking sickly and more importantly not seeing new growth. My first dose killed a lot of algae in the water column. I noticed a marked difference in the clarity of the water and the corals and clams seamed to be fuller and more robust. I have quite a variety of inverts with no signs of loss or stress. I'm smiling as I type this because this stuff is reducing the stress the HA is causing. I'll check back with my results also.

lunarlanderboy
12/20/2009, 09:40 PM

I think it could also be that it's not safe with freshwater inverts- hence the warning only on the freshwater bottle...

iamwrasseman
12/20/2009, 09:51 PM
the main ingredient stops the sugar cycle that the hair algea needs to survive .it has worked very well for me as i have a few tanks that are packed with way to many wrasses and the bioload is incredible . i also raised my mag level to around 1600 with the kent marine mag supplement and it seemed to help but i have no proof . the algea fix will work for you and yes follow the directions closely as with any additive . i have not had any bad things come from the use of this product and would give it five stars for the ones of us that need a little help with hair algea .

adamsfour
03/12/2010, 04:24 PM
I have a question on Algaefix. If you read the bottle it warns you about coming into contact with the stuff. is this only in the undiluted case. I am assuming once in the tank it safe to come into contact with? Kind of surprise the bottle doesn't mention that it safe in diluted mode. Any advice?

iamwrasseman
03/12/2010, 05:59 PM
well all i can do is speak from my experience and i have used it for about a year ,first to eradicate then to maintain control of algae .i have been basically swimming in it with no ill effects as of yet but that's not to say that my skin wont turn purple soon . in reality its probably just a safeguard so you limit your contact with it and they have to know that you will be coming into contact with it in your tank so i would assume that its safe.i have had good results with it but i have three tanks hooked to a common sump and one does not have any grazers such as a tang and it is the only tank that still has HA so you really need a fish that will consume algae in order to completely control it IMO .

Sohal Tang Tim
03/12/2010, 07:11 PM
The Algaefix is *not available* in Canada!!! dangggggggggggggg!!!!
I can't even have supplier SHIP it to Canada.....

this is soooooo disappointing because I loved what I heard about the product
and if it works even 1/2 as good as I heard it is worth the money.

There must be something in it that we don't want to allow in.....

be careful with it.....

Good luck

Tim
:beer:

iamwrasseman
03/12/2010, 07:20 PM
liveaquaria wont ship it to you ? there must be something that Canadians don't like .cant be beer !

Sohal Tang Tim
03/12/2010, 07:45 PM
Imagine if BEER worked!!!!!!!!! heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!

There would be sooooo many reefers just hoping the HA would kick in!!!!!

Dear, I know I have 18 cases in the garage of Corona...but my tank needs it......

We are Canucks
We love our beer
If we end up with Hair Algae
We can all give a cheer

heres to that weed
the one that wrecks our reef
your in trouble now
my Corona spells relief!!!! hahahaha

Tim
:beer:

iamwrasseman
03/12/2010, 07:49 PM
hehehehe ! very nice Tim i hope you can find some algae fix so you can continue drinking you much needed beer .

Sohal Tang Tim
03/12/2010, 07:52 PM
thought you would like that! haha

Tim

troyman
03/13/2010, 05:53 AM
that is bryposis not hair algae it is to thick to be hair algae good luck

Sohal Tang Tim
03/13/2010, 06:37 AM
oops i thought this was different post.

sorry