PDA

View Full Version : Glass-holes overflow box

90sShooter
06/01/2009, 05:21 PM
I set up my 45g semi-cube a couple months back with a glass-hole.com overflow kit I was given by a local reefer. It seemed to run pretty smooth for the first couple months. Quiet for the most part with the occasional gurgle. I have it set up so that there is a reducer screwed directly into the bulkhead that reduces it from I think 1-1 1/2" or something down to 3/4" plumbing starting with a 90* elbow that goes to 3/4" clear tubing that goes directly into my sump. I cut the hose so that it is barely submersed and originally I had some DIY filter socks that I rubberbanded to the end of the tubing. This seemed to give me the quietest results because it added SOME backpressure. It also did a GREAT job of filtering out crap from the water. The ONLY drawback is that the way I had the socks attached, they would clog up with crap in a matter of a day or two and the water would back up and a couple times backed up all the way to where the tank was going to overflow. Luckily I barely have enough water in the sump to fill the tank all the way to the rim, so I heard it sucking air and was able to take the sock off to drain all the way. So anyway, I tried running it without the socks for the last couple weeks and I get terrible gurgleing noises almost constantly, sometimes stays quiet for 20 minutes or something. My question is, what can I do to make it quiet?!?! I read something that made me thing I needed to have the tube submersed further in the water so I added a little extension to put it lower in the sump. This seemed to help at first but still built up air bubbles that pushed through caused huge flushing like gurgleing noises just not as often. Should I be running a Durso on this setup? If you are familiar with the glass holes overflow, it has a sort of weird design that I THOUGHT was supposed to act as a durso. I am thinking about changing the 90* elbow to a T and putting a pipe going up above the water line with a cap and drill some holes (that's a durso right? or is a durso the same idea but with a U shape essentially on top where the water goes up and then down the drain? I don't know I am so confused... lol). Any help would be appreciated cause this tank is in my room and wakes me up at night! :mad2:

Thanks guys!

NickNat
06/01/2009, 07:10 PM
Most likely the hole(s) are too big.

You need a rather small hole for it to work silently.
I runng a return with a mag 7 with 2 ft of ht ona 55g and I had to cover a 1/4 hole with duck tape and bore a tiny pin hole to silence the durso.

Experiment with it , cover the hole with tape and put a tiny hole back until you get the flow you want.

90sShooter
06/01/2009, 10:46 PM
is this assuming I already have a durso? I currently do not.... Should I make one?

Paulairduck
06/02/2009, 12:39 AM
the noise is coming from the sump area, right.

A durso will not eliminate this noise

90sShooter
06/02/2009, 12:20 PM
Actually the gurgling is coming from the overflow... but the sump also makes noise when the drain tube is submerged and the air gets pushed through and causes a burts of air under water.

Yesterday I tried raising the drain tube just off the water surface and it seemed to work perfect for a little bit, but then it started making noise again! grrrr...

I think I will go to the store and get some parts to make a durso and see if that helps... This thing is starting to drive me crazy!

Justdrew
06/02/2009, 12:57 PM
I use the glass-holes overflow (700 gph) model myself. I at first had gurgling in the box itself. I talked to Mike at glass-holes and he sent me a piece of enkmat (mesh) to lay across the top the box to break up the water flowing down the sides. This made my box virtually silent.

I think you will always have a problem though with reducing the drain to 3/4" Make it the full 1 1/2" so the water can flow freely and the glass hole overflows are virtually silent.

Later
Drew

NickNat
06/02/2009, 05:09 PM
Yes, do the Durso thing and away goes the gurgle. I went throuigh the same problems you have.. raise the tube and it take a minute or two to start up again as soon as it equalizes.

A dusro with a 1/8 hole and that will do it. Guaranteed

90sShooter
06/02/2009, 06:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15120326#post15120326 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Justdrew
I use the glass-holes overflow (700 gph) model myself. I at first had gurgling in the box itself. I talked to Mike at glass-holes and he sent me a piece of enkmat (mesh) to lay across the top the box to break up the water flowing down the sides. This made my box virtually silent.

I think you will always have a problem though with reducing the drain to 3/4" Make it the full 1 1/2" so the water can flow freely and the glass hole overflows are virtually silent.

Later
Drew

Hmm...yeah I just figured since I am only pushing maybe 500gph (if that) that 3/4" would do just fine. But I can see that may have a lot to do with it...

I am going to go get some stuff from lowes...

90sShooter
06/02/2009, 07:34 PM
Just got back from lowes and made a sweet durso... but the tank has been silent for the last couple hours... I put a filter sock over the end again and that seems to make it completely silent. The only drawback like I mentioned before is that the sock gets clogged rather quickly and could potentially back up and overflow the tank. I think I may just make a bigger filter sock to increase the surface area for junk to build up.

90sShooter
06/02/2009, 11:34 PM
Durso in and haven't heard a SINGLE gurggle! Thanks guys!

fonzer
06/05/2009, 01:27 AM
90sShooter,

i am in the process of building a 65g, at your convenience, could you take a few pics of the plumbing?

thanks