PDA

View Full Version : latz has ick! need help please!

fishkid6692
06/01/2009, 07:44 PM
i've had this pair for a little over a month and they have been doing great. i stopped adding garlic to there food a few days ago and all of a sudden the female got ick. i really don't want to lose her. what is the best way to treat her? if i soak there food in garlic again and feed a lot will that help? do i have to put her in quarantine? any other things that i can do? if i do have to put her in a seprate tank what should i dose and where can i get it? thanks! and heres a pic.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/mattiskool98/IMG_1840.jpg

landlord
06/02/2009, 04:42 AM
Matt,

If you can keep the fish eating that is always a good thing. I have recently had a bout of some parasite / protozoan on my fish as well. I have had success using formalin as a treatment and I have also lowered the salinity of their tanks to 1.015. Hypo is around 1.010 but I didn't have the chops to take it that low and they healed up just fine. Formalin can be used in a couple ways. Many folks use a bath of it (not familiar with this method), I simply followed the dosing directions on the bottle 2 drops per gallon. I also added an airstone to the tank. The formalin removes disolved O2 from the water so this helps with breathing issues. I would consider getting them into some type of quarantine so the meds do not kill or harm the inverts in your tank.

I noticed positive results with my treatment regimine within 24 hours. Appetite came back, visible parasites/protozoans were GONE!, swimming behavior was back to normal and the rapid breathing was visible reduced.

Good Luck

Kurt

tufacody
06/02/2009, 11:35 AM
Are there more than just those four dots? Are the eyes cloudy or is that just the pic?

fishkid6692
06/02/2009, 11:49 AM
its just the pic. and the one thing she doesn't have a problem with is eating. shes eats everything. she doesn't have rapid breathing or any other signs. jjust the white spots. is there any in tank treatment?

fishkid6692
06/02/2009, 11:50 AM
theres a couple more dots on her body.

rc4kinu
06/02/2009, 04:22 PM
My female had a bout with similar spots about 6 mo. ago, but it disappeared. I do have a skunk cleaner shrimp in the same tank and observed a couple of times when it was "cleaning" them off so if you don't already have one I would go that route instead. It will prevent more stress than trying to catch it in a fully stocked tank and subsequent treatment, which can make the disease worse from the add'l stress

tufacody
06/02/2009, 04:44 PM
I dont know about the cleaner, but I tend to agree that if its just a few dots and not getting worse, feeding well and keeping things as stable as possible is also a good alternative than immediate treatment. Are they in a tank by themselves or are other fish threatened by ick as well?

tufacody
06/02/2009, 04:46 PM
just to preface that a little, if those eyes are cloudy I would start treatment, but if just a few dots i'd wait it out a little and see if it gets any worse

fishkid6692
06/02/2009, 05:13 PM
there by themselves. and i can get a cleaner. the spots look like they are going away? i fed some garlic and a few of the spots faded.

criccio
06/03/2009, 11:45 AM
You should read up on the lifecycle of ich, and be prepared.

unbreakable
06/03/2009, 12:16 PM
my saddleback has had something like that for a very long time now. all my other fish do not have it, just her. not sure what it is because she doesnt scratch or seem bothered by it. i feed the tank heavily so not sure if that helps her out.

Slakker
06/03/2009, 03:30 PM
If you do decide to treat, try searching for info on treating latz specifically. My pair of ocellaris made it through almost 2 months of hyposalinity at 1.009, but latz seem to be more sensitive, so I hesitate to recommend the same course of action.

Hyposalinity is generally accepted as the safest treatment method, and one of only two ways to actually CURE your fish of this ailment (the other being Copper, which carries a slightly higher risk of reaching toxicity but IIRC is faster). If you do decide to treat, you'll want to set up a hospital tank, as any course of treatment that will kill ich will also kill off any of your other inverts in the tank.

fishkid6692
06/03/2009, 04:47 PM
i have a 20H but it has LR in it. i could use that. i would just have to take the LR and sand out. would a HOB filter be ok for it? do i treat both? do i need to treat them?

fishkid6692
06/03/2009, 05:04 PM
one of her gills looks a little flared and has a rim thing on it.

keving
06/03/2009, 10:56 PM
What temp is your tank? This species prefers 68F or cooler, so I have seen some problems above 76-78F.

fishkid6692
06/03/2009, 11:05 PM
i keep it cool. its at 72-73. and they don't need to be 68F or cooler. in the wild the waters they live in can get up to 76 in the summer.

knot-hard
06/05/2009, 09:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15128550#post15128550 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishkid6692
one of her gills looks a little flared and has a rim thing on it.

cloudy eyes and flared gills, could be flukes.

stumpovrtyme
06/05/2009, 10:42 AM
I vote cleaner shrimp and maybe a cleaner wrasse. I have both and they are ich vaccums! I would also say lower your salt and check all parameters! Those were usually the main causes in my episodes with ich. Also sometimes from the move they will get it a couple days later, my saddle did and it went away on its own. With the help from the shrimp and the wrasse though. Iv also noticed when ever there is an outbreak the shrimp are always in the sand bed picking them out. ( I beleive)