PDA

View Full Version : Kati Ani......Why do people not use it over ro/di filters?

Reefbox
06/01/2009, 08:57 PM
Just curious? Is it that people do not like the recharge chemicals? lye & muriatic acid or the initial expense?

I've made thousands of gallons of water or tens of thousands? with my Kati Ani over several years very cheaply. Unit cost me around $300 couple years ago and about $15/600 gallons in recharge materials or so.

I get perfect water 0 tds ish and never have to buy a ro membrane again, but i do have to recharge it which is ez.

bertoni
06/01/2009, 10:24 PM
I don't like handling lye or muriatic acid, and RO/DI upkeep is easier. :)

luther1200
06/02/2009, 01:47 PM
The new Kati Ani systems are very expensive. I believe.

Reefbox
06/02/2009, 01:56 PM
Not sure how much Kati Ani are now. I've been using mine for a couple years.

I bought 3 or 4 ro membranes then learned about Kati Ani and haven't bought or used a ro filter since.

I guess I really did not like wasting water with my ro filter and that was my primary reason for the purchase of kati ani.

Kati Ani has no bypass wasted water.

WaterKeeper
06/02/2009, 02:10 PM
It is just the DI portion of the RO/DI and, because the resins are separate, you can recharge them. How often is the big question, as in hard water areas that can be every week for a big tank. Nothing wrong with it if you don't mind the extra effort and in some communities the regeneration water is regarded as a hazardous waste.

redfishsc
06/02/2009, 03:59 PM
Considering that I have a 6-month old in the house, I'd rather not have such things around in our small apartment.

Granted, it sounds cheaper in the long run.

We also use our RO/DI for drinking water (well, I bypass the DI for drinking water). I'm not sure a kati/ani would make decent tasting drinking water--- most folks who have tasted their water from the DI said it tastes bad.

WaterKeeper
06/02/2009, 05:17 PM
It is extremely flat as all the mineral and most dissolved gasses are purged. Try using it for coffee, however, and you'll use it every time.

HighlandReefer
06/02/2009, 05:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15121914#post15121914 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
Try using it for coffee, however, and you'll use it every time.

I'll have to give it a try. If you are pulling my leg, I will come looking for you. They don't call me an exterminator for nothing. :lol:

Yogre
06/02/2009, 05:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15121914#post15121914 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
It is extremely flat as all the mineral and most dissolved gasses are purged. Try using it for coffee, however, and you'll use it every time.

Really?! I've always used RO for our coffee, we have a unit under our sink that's separate from what I use for our reef... I'll have to try some RO/DI for coffee!

Yogre the coffee-hound...

Reefbox
06/03/2009, 12:10 AM
I'll have to try it for coffee and man do i love coffee. I drink a pot a day.