PDA

View Full Version : Chiller Question

Gieser
06/02/2009, 05:16 AM
Is there really such a thing as a quiet chiller? I do not know about chillers, and am trying to understand what would be a good one. I am open on cost, as with this hobby, I believe you get what you pay for. I need help trying to choose one.

I am seemingly going to have to take the plunge into purchasing a chiller for our 310. I installed a fantech exhaust fan this weekend (250 cfm) in our small (6x8) tank room. This has helped a lot, but the room still stays around 78 degrees and with the 1500 w of halides, just bakes the little room. I am considering running a ducted vent into the room, but am not sure it would help.

Thanks in advance....

Gieser
06/02/2009, 10:11 PM
I have been reading about chillers and need advice. The tank is a 310 and is hitting 84 degrees daily. It is way too hot in my opinion.

I am looking at JBJ, TUNZE, and Pacific Coast. Does anyone use the TUNZE that can actually offer some guidance with it. Is JBJ quieter than PC? What about the Tunze? Do they all put out a ton of heat? If so, I am going to need to put it outside.

Gieser
06/03/2009, 07:55 PM
Here are a few other details. My fish room gets to 80 + during the day (that is with a Fantech 250 exhaust fan) and during the night, it may come down to about 74 or 75. The water has been going from 84 to 79 or 80. Today, my halides were on too long and the tank was 86 when I came home (got this under control on my ACIII now).

I need recommendations for a chiller. I most likely need a 1/3 or 1/2 HP chiller. That probably means quiet will be tough. I am also concerned about adding more heat in the room. Should I place it outside and plumb through the wall, or would I be okay to keep it in the room. I could keep it in the room next to the fishroom, but the heat would still be a problem, I guess.

Tunze? Pacific Coast? JBJ? Need input from RC...

joncohen
06/03/2009, 10:18 PM
I have been researching chillers for my 90 gallon reef aquarium too. For a tank your size go with at least a 1/3 hp unit. Some companies put out 1/3 hp super which is between a 1/3 and 1/2 hp chiller. If you can plumb it, definately get it outside (protected of course) or in a garage. All that heat going back into your fish room would defeat the purpose and make you miserable. And the noise wouldn't be an issue either.
Don't know much about the Tunze chillers but I know they are top notch in other products they make. Another brand I have heard good things about but you don't mention is Tradewind. They aren't pretty but they are very good quality.
The chiller will take care of your water but your fish room still needs to be cooled. I would put that duct work in if it was mine. Cooling the room will help with the water temp a little and you may be able to get away with a smaller chiller. It would be a lot easier to chill a tank if the room is 70 degrees vs. 80 degrees
Either way I think you pay for it. Spend more on air conditioning your house or spend it on your chiller.
Good Luck.

Gieser
06/04/2009, 09:34 AM
Looks like I am going to do a 1/2 HP in line Chiller so I can plumb it through my wall from the outside. Of the choices below, what would you recommend and why?

1. Current USA Prime 1/2 Commercial

2. JBJ 1/2 HP

3. Pacific Coast 1/2 HP

4. Trade Wind 1/2 HP

SkyPapa
06/04/2009, 10:23 AM
I have a 1/4 hp PCI on my tanks. They are in the garage in Florida.
It keeps about 250g of water at 80 with a +3 deg tolerance.
The PCI is 3 years old and I had to replace the fan motor a few months ago.