PDA

View Full Version : Best skimmer for $500

spleify
06/02/2009, 02:53 PM
I have a buddy that has a 65 gal, with a 30 gal sump. The tank is SPS dominated, right now he is running an ASM of some sort and wants something better.

What is the recommended OVERSIZED skimmer for around $500?

Thanks

Black Mammoth
06/02/2009, 04:44 PM
What kind of ASM does he have? I can't imagine that isn't doing a good enough job. I was just running a modified ASM 2 on a 90g heavily stocked with SPS and it did fine. $500 is a lot of money to spend on a skimmer for that size tank. He has a lot of pickings...at least in the resell market for that price.

Nanook
06/02/2009, 04:50 PM
In-sump or external skimmer?

rigleautomotive
06/02/2009, 05:01 PM
i like these

http://superskimmer.com/

GSMguy
06/02/2009, 05:04 PM
I think at that price point the best way to go would be the Itech100 for a bit less the MSX200 or Octo extreme 200 with ATB large Purple pin Wheel.

spleify
06/02/2009, 07:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15121742#post15121742 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nanook
In-sump or external skimmer?

In-sump.

Black Mammoth I don't remember which one he is currently running, but he wants something bigger and better, for some reason I want to think it is the 2. I will see if he can chime in on this thread and he can probably offer some more/better info on the subject.

Thanks guys!

Milhouse
06/02/2009, 08:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15121837#post15121837 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
I think at that price point the best way to go would be the Itech100 for a bit less the MSX200 or Octo extreme 200 with ATB large Purple pin Wheel.

I agree. I went from a G1X to an Itech 100 with the Tunze. Night and day and the Itech is so much easier to control. I plan to run the Itech on my 58g that will be set up this summer. It's way too much skimmer for the 37g that I have it set up on now. I also only have 3 fish in there so....

goslugsgo
06/03/2009, 07:39 AM
I'm the guy looking for a new in-sump skimmer.
I'm running a fully modded G2 and just don't see the milky white bubbles or production that I've seen on other people's systems.
What is the availability on the itech? I like it, but here's nothing on the site.

I'm leaning toward the MSX, but am wondering if the Royal-Exclusiv Alpha Cone 170 is worth the hefty premium.

Any thoughts?

spleify
06/03/2009, 09:51 AM
The MSX are good skimmers.

Guygettnby
06/03/2009, 09:54 AM
i run an ASM G1X on my 58g tank with 30g sump. my tank is extremely stocked and this skimmer handles it great. i seriously doubt the skimmer you have is not enough for that tank. maybe its the fact you dont have much too pull outa the tank? what other forms of filtration are you running on this tank with the skimmer??

rroselavy
06/03/2009, 10:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15125108#post15125108 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by goslugsgo
What is the availability on the itech? I like it, but here's nothing on the site.

I'm leaning toward the MSX, but am wondering if the Royal-Exclusiv Alpha Cone 170 is worth the hefty premium.

Any thoughts?

I've heard great things about the iTech series. Made in USA too. I spent a while last night reading some threads on their support forum (http://www.i-techskimmers.com/forums/index.php) last night. FWIW there are many pictures of some really nasty nog over there. I think the 100 model is being offered at $450 with the "detuned" Tunze 9410 hydrofoamer pump. Sounds like they are made with a CNC setup in batches of 30. There are some nice assembly pics as well on their site. May be worth checking out...I am thinking about it myself for my 55g.

rroselavy
06/03/2009, 10:41 AM
A H&S A110-F2000 recirc can operate in sump with a smallish 13" x 5.52" footprint. May be another quality option.

Warner Marine makes quality skimmers. An AS150 may be a good fit, but commands a larger 13" x 8" footprint and higher wattage than the H&S or iTech.

jjw2121
06/03/2009, 12:17 PM
MSX are great and reasonably priced.

goslugsgo
06/03/2009, 01:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15125778#post15125778 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Guygettnby
maybe its the fact you dont have much too pull outa the tank? what other forms of filtration are you running on this tank with the skimmer??
I thought the same about lack of organics until I saw what a friend's Octo was pulling out of a tank with maybe a third of the livestock.
I'm running a filter sock, chaeto, gfo and carbon.

How does one acquire an itech? Just get on the list?

Milhouse
06/03/2009, 10:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15127117#post15127117 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by goslugsgo
I thought the same about lack of organics until I saw what a friend's Octo was pulling out of a tank with maybe a third of the livestock.
I'm running a filter sock, chaeto, gfo and carbon.

How does one acquire an itech? Just get on the list?

Just contact them through their site. They'll put you on the list and let you know when it will be ready. I'm not sure how long the list is, I got on it a while back. They were shipping them out pretty quick for a while. I was using the Sedra from my ASM at first. I just got the Tunze about 2 weeks ago. I love it. If you are ever up in the Fort Collins area I can show you the skimmer and pump.

Guygettnby
06/04/2009, 08:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15127117#post15127117 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by goslugsgo

It doesnt matter what your friends tank is like. every tank is different and every person is different. i guarentee he does something different with his tank then you do. maybe he doeses something, over feeds, feeds with high crude food? there are so many different variations between tanks that you just cant compare your tank to his.

the only true well to tell the difference would be to take his skimmer and put it on your tank to compare. not to mention with all the other filtration you are running that will make the skimmer pull less out of the tank. there are just too many variations to compare anything these days. i guess it boils down to the fact if you just dont like the skimmer you have then get what will make yo happy with your tank.

any how good luck with whatever path you go.

Guy :bum:

jefathome
06/04/2009, 08:29 AM
I haven't been following all the skimmer threads for the past year or two, but I'm surprised that no one mentioned ATI.

I have a BubbleMaster 200. It started in my 70g, and now I have it on my 120 and it ROCKS. Pulls out some nasty crud and it is easy to adjust (though seldom needed).