PDA

View Full Version : Some kind of flat worm issue

Bluetangclan
06/02/2009, 03:43 PM
I have noticed in the last couple of months than literally hundred of flakes have appeared in my tank. I never saw any move so I thought they were some kind of algae since they are always on open areas of rock. While I did have an issue a few months back with something eating some of my zoos, right now all my corals are flourishing. These things are about the size of a small peiece of rice, in all kinds of warm autumn colors, from orange to brown to a yellowish green. They only move when like I just did, get a pair of tweezers and mess with them. Should I be worried about these things as there are literally hundreds of them? I dont see them on any of my corals like I said, just in open space. If I need to be worried, what gets rid of them? Current inhabitants include a scarlett wrasse, a possum wrasse, a coral beauty, bi-color blenny, and a couple clowns, and a hectors goby, plus a sally lightfoot and a couple emeralds and peppermint shrimp. None of these seem to think they are snackfood. Pretty (99%) sure they are flatworms, just dont know what kind.

Kdocimo90
06/02/2009, 04:13 PM
Ewww... the brownish ones are the bad guys. you might have to use Flatworm Exit by salifert, and READ THE DIRECTIONS, AND FOLLOW THEM!

Bluetangclan
06/02/2009, 04:17 PM
Yeah I have been reading on here, talked to my coral store. They had the same advice except they are out of it currently. They also suggested a hunting wrasse(which i already have two who arent doing anything about it) and dragonets like mandarins or scooter blennies. Kind of wanted a mandarin but I want one that also eats prepared food and those are hard to find unfortunately.

Kdocimo90
06/02/2009, 04:27 PM
If your tank is overwhelmed by flatworms it may not be worth it to take any chances with a fish that eats it. Before it kills all your corals I would use FWE.

Bluetangclan
06/03/2009, 06:31 PM
Quick update:
I by no means promote doing this but I did go buy a mandarin since no one around had that saliferts stuff. I have alot of rock and wanted a mandarin anyway so I figured no biggie, if it doesnt eat them, its got plenty of other stuff to eat. Most fish when you put them in the water act skittish at a minimum or immediatly go hide. Mine immediately went for the closest rock with flatworms on it and started hunting. Within the first 20 seconds of being in the tank he already ate 3. Now maybe he is a bit more full because he is exploring more than eating but its cool. Like I said, in no way do I expect this of every mandarin, I just got really lucky I guess. Yay me lol.

Kdocimo90
06/03/2009, 06:36 PM
Nice!! He's definitely a keeper. Once he eats them all, he will be able to maintain the tank by keeping them from taking over again.

Good job!