PDA

View Full Version : adding a clown fish need advise

Loon
06/02/2009, 06:24 PM
I have a 29 gal mixed reef and currently have a smaller clown fish livin in it along with a six line wrasse. Recently a friend of my girlfriend was moving and said he has going to flush his slightly larger clown fish unless he found someone to take it. So naturally i took the fish and have it in a little net box in the aquarium. My question is,... is it ok to just let him go into the tank, or will i have problems with the clown fish fighting? Any ideas, comments, concerns?

P.S. It has been two full days since i put the fish in the aquarium.

romsoccer12
06/02/2009, 06:28 PM
since the 1st clown is still a juvenile and has not yet become aggressive/dominant, i dont there will be a problem. Itll be just fine. One may start being a little aggressive to the other but its just becoming the female. If it starts attacking the other fish and doesnt let him alone, i would take one out.

Toddrtrex
06/02/2009, 06:35 PM
What type of clown do you currently have, and what type of clown did you get?

Loon
06/02/2009, 06:36 PM
Female they change sexes?

Toddrtrex
06/02/2009, 06:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15122342#post15122342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Loon
Female they change sexes?

They start as sexless males, then males, and the most dominate one will become female. The common thought was that once they are female they are "stuck" that way, but there has been some talk that they might actually be able to turn back, but nothing definitive yet.

snorvich
06/02/2009, 07:31 PM
Hmmm, I never knew they could revert. Under what circumstances?

Toddrtrex
06/02/2009, 07:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15122712#post15122712 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
Hmmm, I never knew they could revert. Under what circumstances?

Knew someone was going to ask. ;)

There was a thread in CMAS, Rod and one other person mentioned it, want to say it was last month or so. If I have the time later tonight I will see if I can find it.