PDA

View Full Version : Lyretail Anthias and Flame Hawkfish

kenqc
06/03/2009, 08:31 AM
Hi,

I just got my lyretail anthias and she is a beauty. I purchased her from BZA. I also received a flame hawkfish and a DOA leopard wrasse. I put the Anthias and the Hawkfish into my established tank with my blue damsel. The blue damsel was not so nice at first, but seems to be better now. I fed them last night frozed mysis. All three fish took some, but the anthias spit some out. I do beleive she did eat some though. This morning I tried the BZ mix. The anthias ate but spit most of it out, the damsel eats everything, the hawkfish was not interested in the mix. I plan on feeding 3x per day as I understand Anthias eat around the clock.

My question is, what else should I feed my anthias? When I get home tonight I will take pictures of all three. I have mushrooms, 50 lbs of live rock, some live sand, and two leathers in the tank. The mushrooms are thriving and 1 of the 2 leathers is awesome, one is boring. Any help in what to feed this 60 gallon tank would be appreciated.

In another 2 weeks or more I may add 1 more small fish and then be done. I do have a 50 gallon as well that has live rock and sand where I plan to put a wrasse (possibly the leopard wrasse) as I really like those as well as the harlequin filefish. I know that both are hard to keep, but I want one or the other for the 50 gallon.

Please let me know what to feed the anthias, the hawkfish, and while we are at it the wrasse and/or filefish. Thanks.

falconut
06/03/2009, 10:17 AM
I have been kepping Lyreatil Anthias for around 4 years now. Most of the time, I only feed once a day. Lyretails are a pretty hardy breed. From my experience, they can do fine on once a day large feedings.

Now, all of mine have been finicky in the beginning. I have to start with live brine. The females seamed to switch to frozen within the first week, but my male took a few weeks. My male also took about 6 months before he started eatting flakes. While my females were eatting flakes in about a month.

kenqc
06/03/2009, 10:23 AM
thank you. I do have a female. I will try the frozen brine, and continue with mysis as well, but I may look into live brine if she won't respond. I have only had her for 1 day now and like I said she did try the mysis and the flake. However, she spit out all of the flake but did retain some of the mysis.

falconut
06/03/2009, 04:44 PM
My male did the spit out thing for about two weeks.

Chris7777
06/03/2009, 07:10 PM
Why don`t you try pellets?

kenqc
06/04/2009, 01:03 PM
I am planning on getting some pellets today. In the BZA mix, I have some pellets that are included. She is eating along with the Hawk, mysis with garlic extreme mixed in for good measure. In fat, fed the tank twice today, ate both times.

nikon187
06/04/2009, 09:50 PM
All of my fish including my anthias ( 7 of them) love garlic. try soaking your food before you feed in one of the comercial garlic suplements

rort
06/05/2009, 10:02 AM
Agree with the garlic.

I didn't have to do any live food for mine but a good mixture of food will be fine. I feed twice a day and my lyretails seem to love it!

kenqc
06/05/2009, 10:11 AM
I also gave them some marine cuisine soaked in garlic and through in some dry zooplankton for the corals. The anthias, hawkfish and the blue damsel all seemed to appreciate it.

As an aside, seeing that it is a 60 gallon, with corals, a cuc, and the above three fish, can I safely add a six line? After that, should I be done? I do not want to overcrowd or overfeed. The cuc is 2 starish, a variety of hermits and some snails of various sorts.