PDA

View Full Version : something is going on?

fish stalker
06/03/2009, 03:09 PM
Hi again. well something is up with my mantis. for the last 2 days smackeroo would put his head out of the burrow and i could see white spots on the cuticle. Today he isn't comming out and i think he has molted or is in the process because i can see what looks like the back end of his shell on one side at another entrance and eyes looking at me at the front entrance ..... so now i wait. I'm not going to try and feed tonight as there is a lone hermit crab in there and if he has molted i know its best to leave well enough alone to prevent damage to the mantis if he tries to strike etc.

Is it better to leave the light off and just have natural room light or keep things the same? These little guys really creep into your affections especially when you consider they have usually had a not very welcome and rough introduction into a lfs's tanks, so i hope it works out ok if it is a molt. I know there are a lot of variables but was wondering if anyone keeps track of how long it takes between molts for their mantis and if they have seen any pattern?

Mentat
06/03/2009, 07:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15127911#post15127911 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fish stalker
...i think he has molted or is in the process because i can see what looks like the back end of his shell on one side at another entrance and eyes looking at me at the front entrance ..... so now i wait.
Either it molted... or broke in half (just kidding). Mantis will feed off molt to regain valuable nutrients. If molted skin is thrown out of burrow, recommend removal in a couple days if it shows no further interest on eating it.

Tangalong
06/03/2009, 08:28 PM
Mine starts coming out a little after a day or two...never really holes up completely..sits at the entrance pulling molt off and cleaning herself. Some just disappear for days. Each one is different I think. Mine is pretty accustomed to me so I can give her a piece of soft food if she wants or tidy up her tank. Most recommend to leave them alone for their sakes. Probably a good idea for most.

fish stalker
06/05/2009, 10:16 AM
Whew thanks for the replies. Its my first mantis so reading can only take you so far...... then first hand experience from others is a must. Thanks again. I can't get the piece that looks like molt out of the hole and now its gone mia. I was reading one of the above posts and saw pics that look alot more like my guy plus the behaviour fits. That mantis has been identified as G. chiragra. If mine is the same may explain why i haven't been able to get a good pic yet :). I'll need to make sure soon as if that is correct i'm going to have to upgrade from the 12g asap.