PDA

View Full Version : fragging ricordeas

blazing
06/04/2009, 01:50 PM
Wussup ya I just got an ric yesterday from a fellow reefer and I wanted to frag it. i've been reading about how to frag them and want to get peoples experiences. How long would I have to wait till I can cut it up? I've also read that once u cut it, it will let out toxic stuff out and should not be put back into the main tank. Is this true? Any help would be great thxs.

scottallert
06/04/2009, 05:22 PM
if it has 2 mouths cut in between them if one just cut it in half, i cut my ric into 5 the first day i got it, i took it out cut it then put them in a cup of tank water then stirred them around then put them in my tank,

blazing
06/04/2009, 05:24 PM
Koo I might just have to try that out today. Thxs dude

IFbettas
06/06/2009, 11:44 PM
I would wait for a week so the ric can get adjusted to your tank before cutting it up. I have been propagating a lot of rics lately. I take an adult ric and cut it into anywhere from 2 to 5 or 6 pieces with a razor blade. They grow into full heads pretty quickly and are in decent demand these days.

blazing
06/07/2009, 01:48 AM
I already had cut it up on thursday. I split it in half and split one of the halfs in half again. So now I have 3 and they are in seprate containers at the bottom of the tank. Should I feed it after it is cut or do I wait til its fully heal? What r signs that they are doing good after I had cut them?

CLINTOS
06/07/2009, 09:06 AM
let them heal

the sign's that it is healing is just like a person when they cut themselves

first you will have a open cut then it will get a thin layer scabbing/mucus expelling kind of

then a thin layer of skin

then a thicker skin

then the mouth will move into the middle again

IMO 1-2 week's before fully healed and sometimes longer for the mouth to completely heal/move into the middle

CLINTOS
06/07/2009, 09:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15149336#post15149336 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IFbettas
I would wait for a week so the ric can get adjusted to your tank before cutting it up. I have been propagating a lot of rics lately. I take an adult ric and cut it into anywhere from 2 to 5 or 6 pieces with a razor blade. They grow into full heads pretty quickly and are in decent demand these days.

that's true about letting it adjust to the tank first imo

for me at time's depending on how much the ric cost
I would cut it once then go back later in 2 week's to cut the opposite way only because
the cost and risk or how hard it was to collect

sometime's in my situation when I first started the slice will grow back together if not sliced good enough if this happen's you can try again in around 3 day's after the mucus has stopped and the first layer of the healing has started

madean
06/07/2009, 10:19 AM
I think if you can seperate the two cuttings it is best so they dont grom back together. If they are attached to a rock, you can take the rock out of water and holdit up side down, when the shroom droops down cut the head off closest to the foot. You can then cut the head up as desired. But remember the more you cut the head up the lower the chances each cutting will heal and grow. Also your water quality makes a difference. People always say shrooms like dirty water. They do but its not a good idea if your cutting them. The cleaner the water the better when your cutting them. It has been my xperience that if you cut the head, through the mouth, more than in half the ric will have a hard time healing and you could possibly loose the ric. for example if your adult ric has 3 mouths, cut the ric so that each new ric has a full mouth. If you want make another cut perpendicular or in the shape of a T through the mouth. I believe it is key to good growth and survivability to get a piece of the mouth in each new cutting. I cut a small peice, like the size of an erasor head off of a ric about 4 months ago to see what would happen. It has barely doubled in size in 4 months. You can cut an adult shroom in half through the mouth and with in a month you may have two the exact same size as when you cut it in the first place.

madean
06/07/2009, 10:19 AM
and clintos is right on the money, lot of good info from clintos

CLINTOS
06/07/2009, 01:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15150714#post15150714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by madean
I think if you can seperate the two cuttings it is best so they dont grom back together. If they are attached to a rock, you can take the rock out of water and holdit up side down, when the shroom droops down cut the head off closest to the foot. You can then cut the head up as desired. But remember the more you cut the head up the lower the chances each cutting will heal and grow. Also your water quality makes a difference. People always say shrooms like dirty water. They do but its not a good idea if your cutting them. The cleaner the water the better when your cutting them. It has been my xperience that if you cut the head, through the mouth, more than in half the ric will have a hard time healing and you could possibly loose the ric. for example if your adult ric has 3 mouths, cut the ric so that each new ric has a full mouth. If you want make another cut perpendicular or in the shape of a T through the mouth. I believe it is key to good growth and survivability to get a piece of the mouth in each new cutting. I cut a small peice, like the size of an erasor head off of a ric about 4 months ago to see what would happen. It has barely doubled in size in 4 months. You can cut an adult shroom in half through the mouth and with in a month you may have two the exact same size as when you cut it in the first place.

for leaving the shroom on the rock

never tried cutting it upside down but sound's like a better method then what I was doing makes sense because I had a lot of the tissue grow back by doing 1 slice and right side up so I tried scoring it like 5 time's in 1 spot this opens it up to less chance of survivability/longer healing time or infection due to a mangled mouth

shroom off the rock

what I like to do is if it is attached to rock and your using soft LR
you can take a paring knife and carve into the LR a bit leaving a bit of rubble from here slice it let it heal for a week then glue right away after it is healed

madean
06/09/2009, 07:07 PM
I will have to try the paring knife. That is a good idea.

blazing
06/09/2009, 07:19 PM
well its been almost a week since i had cut the ric and i think its doing good. ill try to post pics. i have read that yumas are more sensitive then floridas. im not sure what mins are but i kinda think its a yuma. i took picks before i had cut it so i can post pics for id. i lost my usb for my camera so i gotta borrow my sisters. i will try to post pics today.

madean
06/09/2009, 11:00 PM
look at the mouth if the mouth has bumps ( easiest way to describe it with out getting tech.) then its a yuma otherwise its not. If no bumps then it could be florida or haiten ric.

CLINTOS
06/10/2009, 08:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15165768#post15165768 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by madean
I will have to try the paring knife. That is a good idea.

I like to use it for zoos/palys too the really good stainless steel sharp one's I like the one's from walmart $8 something very strong and sharp along with short