PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Creating a Nano Cube Tank

Bulldog0407
06/04/2009, 08:41 PM
I was wondering if anyone would think it feasibly or necessary to change my tank. I have a 37 gallon Oceanic Cube. What I want to do is make it a set up like the nano cubes that you see in the stores. I want to build the filter into the tank because I have some space constraints and cannot use a wet/dry which I wanted to. I was thinking that I could insert a piece of Plexiglas or acrylic into the tank to make the separation in the back. What I don't know is if it would work. I want that part to be almost a refugium of sorts. I am going to be keeping a reef in the tank. If anyone has thoughts or suggestions I am open to them all. Thanks.

uncleof6
06/04/2009, 08:50 PM
Why would you want to use a wet/dry AKA trickle filter anyway? It is strictly a mineralization filter, so so for fish only-- but a no no for a reef. I suppose putting a filter inside a tank is not a bad idea, however I would opt for a HOB skimmer, and put a sump under it (can be smaller w/no skimmer in it.) A compartment inside the tank for a 'fuge' would be next to useless IME, and IMUHO. FWIW

Jim

Bulldog0407
06/04/2009, 09:22 PM
Well I had the tank set up with a Rena 1 and while I was moving the tank from school to home I dropped the box and crack it in half. I also have a CPR bak pak for the tank. I just feel that the Rena 1 didnt do to hot of a job b/c I got some real bad algae growth and when I scrapped it off the walls it never got sucked up by the intake. That was what lead me to think of this ideal. What would you recommend for a smaller filter that would do the trick?

Ryan

uncleof6
06/04/2009, 09:59 PM
Yeah canisters (IIRC the rena is a canister) really don't get the job done. The cpr bakpak is a functional skimmer, all you need now is nutrient export. IF there is no room for a sump underneath, then a specific HOB "fuge" would be helpful, along with the bak pak. If you can work in a DSB, that would do you the most good. Don't get me wrong, the "all-in-ones" do work, but people are always wanting to mod them as they are not as efficient as they could be. A false wall compartment, would be a good way to get some flow in the tank, without a lot of plumbing headaches.

Myself, i would not run a reef without a sump, unless it was a really small tank, below 20 gal. That is just me.

Jim

troylee
06/05/2009, 09:19 AM
I got a 24gal aquapod that's a reef with 2 seahorses in it.......I built a backpak for it and turned it into a refugium. With chateo and it has ran like a champ since day one the only means of filtration on the tank is chateo and l.r.and a nano fission skimmer which is a worthless piece of junk I might say.....but it sort of aeriates the water so I have left it......I thought for sure the tank would give me hell because the seahorses have a high demand for feedings and there is a lot of food that goes rite in the back compartments which contain nothing but a pump to feed the bak pak and return pump for the display.......with all that being said the tank has no flow and no cuc. Except bristle worms and for a year strong now it has ran flawless with just a 5% water change a month lol.........if you use rodi water from the get go and don't dose the tank or anything just run it all nat u ral it works great on small tanks imo....or I'm lucky...:)