PDA

View Full Version : OT: Somewhat close and very interesting diving

NeveSSL
06/05/2009, 12:43 AM
Hi all!

Just found this place and wanted to share.

http://www.2dive.com/btm.htm

It seems really, really neat! Plus, I may be getting my Cavern cert this summer, so I'm contemplating asking my instructor to do our checkout dives there. :) Either way, its not terribly expensive and is extremely fascinating.

What do you divers think? MTRC diving road trip? I'm sure at least Wayne and Rick will be up for it. :D

Brandon

fallinapart
06/05/2009, 06:46 AM
Have fun, I think I'll just go to the beach!! :)

NeveSSL
06/05/2009, 12:50 PM
We could go to the beach after. :D

Brandon

andywe
06/05/2009, 05:07 PM
CJ (Nashvegas) might be up for it too. He's a diver.

mixer911
06/05/2009, 05:29 PM
You love that technical diving don't you. I can tell you have not dove in the ocean yet, once you do you will never look back :lol: That place does look pretty cool though. I do see they use Nitrox, so that is my kind of dive :)

gflat65
06/05/2009, 06:43 PM
That looks like fun. If you ever get to the Yucatan (maybe on Cozumel, too?), you've got to dive the cenotes. Jenn wasn't a big fan, but I think she was glad she did it so she could say she had. Another experience, and you can never run full on experiences, right (just like you can never have too much character-that is total BS:D). I guess my character building has been at the hands of the stone forming gods of the kidney, so it's a bit lopsided (don't need any more character from that...). Anyway, you get to pass through fresh and salt water interfaces (cloudier than probably any thermocline you've seen). Fossils on the walls of the cave, etc. Nice frigid water (that and night diving are the only things that get me in in a wet suit in the Caribbean-consequently did both for the first/only time the same day). Just can't beat it:).

HowardCath
06/05/2009, 08:43 PM
[i] I guess my character building has been at the hands of the stone forming gods of the kidney, so it's a bit lopsided (don't need any more character from that...) [/B]

Right. Like waterboarding builds character.

Diving with a roof over my head? I dunno. I know my cheeseburgers carry some degree of risk, but ...

NeveSSL
06/05/2009, 09:58 PM
Yeah, CJ too. He and I got certified right around the same time last year I think. :)

Correction, Rick... I have too dove in the ocean! It was in Panama City, which obviously means no reefs, but I saw some cool fish and nudibranchs. :D I just can't afford to go to the keys right now. Its about twice as expensive, at minimum.

Gary... you worry me. :lol: But I will keep that in mind once I get a job. ;)

Howard, I would imagine that your live-aboard was much more dangerous than this mine. ;)

Brandon

HowardCath
06/06/2009, 09:31 AM
[i]

Howard, I would imagine that your live-aboard was much more dangerous than this mine. ;)

Brandon [/B]

Hmmm. 6 foot seas, too far from the boat, a torn inflator hose so my BC wouldn't inflate... :eek2:

NeveSSL
06/06/2009, 04:11 PM
At least you remembered to drop your weights! :D

Brandon

mixer911
06/06/2009, 06:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15144395#post15144395 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NeveSSL

Correction, Rick... I have too dove in the ocean! It was in Panama City, which obviously means no reefs, but I saw some cool fish and nudibranchs. :D
Brandon

That is technicaly not an ocean ;), it is the Gulf of Mexico :D, East side of Florida is the Atlantic Ocean :cool: But I will give you credit for salt water, the Buoyancy is similar :lol: It's funny you mention the keys, that is a good example of where people will ask you when you are there "are you diving on the Gulf side or the Ocean side today"

NeveSSL
06/06/2009, 06:21 PM
Actually, I attempted a shore dive at Pompano, but it didn't work out so well... Ask Wayne... :D

Brandon

dborowsk
06/06/2009, 09:13 PM
I'd dive it, assuming there is something for regular divers. I don't like the idea of taking off my gear to push through a crack in the ground. I prefer pleasure diving. In other words, I have no interest in cavern diving, but diving is a pleasure.

HowardCath
06/06/2009, 09:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15147538#post15147538 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NeveSSL
At least you remembered to drop your weights! :D

Brandon

Whoa! Good memory, Brandon!

mixer911
06/06/2009, 09:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15148005#post15148005 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NeveSSL
Actually, I attempted a shore dive at Pompano, but it didn't work out so well... Ask Wayne... :D

Brandon

I think you did tell me that before :) That is near my hometown. I have dove off Pompano Beach many times (from a boat though, shore dives are not the same, too far to swim to the real reef :D )

NeveSSL
06/06/2009, 10:53 PM
I remember your story, Howard. :) I've always wondered, though, did you get your weights back or were they just gone?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15148762#post15148762 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dborowsk
I'd dive it, assuming there is something for regular divers. I don't like the idea of taking off my gear to push through a crack in the ground. I prefer pleasure diving. In other words, I have no interest in cavern diving, but diving is a pleasure.

There is plenty of open water diving there. :) However, I am about to do my Cavern diving cert (and finally finish my Master Diver, too :rolleyes: ) this summer. I'm thinking about asking my instructor if he would like to do our Cavern check out dives there. :)

Brandon