PDA

View Full Version : stupid question about water pump . but pls help.

neupane00
06/05/2009, 02:03 PM
hey guys, i am totally new to this. but pls help. on my freshwater aquarium i use phython to do water change. so no problem. But for saltwater, i am planning to prepare RODI water+ salt in a bucket but how should i put it back in the tank from the bucket? is there small water pump avail to do this job. I mean i am sure there is, but just wanted to get an idea which one do u guys use and around how much will it cost? also can same pump be used to churn the water before i put in the tank?
can u guys post some link to the product?

lucas73
06/05/2009, 02:12 PM
I mix in a 5gal bucket,I just took a distilled water jug and cut out the top with a razor to pour newly mixed saltwater back into the tank.I use a Maxi-Jet 1200 to mix my salt mix for 24 to 48 hrs to match salinity and temp in tank.

rezaktp
06/05/2009, 02:22 PM
Could use a small powerhead to do the mixing for a day then put a section of PVC hose on it to transfer to the tank or sump.

shaginwagon13
06/05/2009, 02:25 PM
Im not really sure how big your tank is but I mix my salt in a 50 gallon drum pretty much the same way described by LUCAS73 in the above post. I have a 45 gallon sump under my tank so I turn off the pumps to my tank. I then get a pump (a MAG 9 will do) and put it in the sump and pump out the 45 gallons. I then refill the sump and turn the pumps back on.

Doesn't tank more then 5 minutes to do the actual water change. Preparing the water takes anywhere from 24-48 hours only because Salinity is lower the colder the water is so the RO/DI water has to be up to the temp of the tank for accurate salinity readings.

DaveMilly
06/05/2009, 02:27 PM
Wouldn't using a PVC hose require the newly mixed SW to be higher than the tank? or am i being dumb? If i'm not, im not sure we all have the muscles to lift 10-20 gallons of water above the height of the tank, and hold it there until the water has syphoned :)

lucas73
06/05/2009, 02:27 PM
Yeah,I probably should have asked what size tank your starting neupane.

reefscape15
06/05/2009, 02:34 PM
Yes you have to have your bucket higher than what your putting it into if you plan on syphoning it. Holding the bucket over the tank can get a little messy sometimes, but i've been doing it for almost 10 years with FW and SW, and haven't needed a pump yet

neupane00
06/05/2009, 02:53 PM
new tank size is going to be 50 gallon. guys, i guess i am not fully clear with my question. i will be mixing in the bucket which will be in lower elevation than the tank. so i will be needing some kinda pump to pump water back to display tank from lower elevation (my bucket)? if so, what kinda pump will i need? will that simple Maxi-Jet 1200 lucas73 suggested work??

peterpaul
06/05/2009, 03:03 PM
the maxijet pump should do the job for you