PDA

View Full Version : How lond does it take a clown to host an anemone?

kmu
06/05/2009, 07:47 PM
Hi there, Ive had a pair of picasso clowns for around 2 months in the tank now, They are still juvenile, probably around 1-1/2" in size.

Well 2 days ago I introduced a 3" rose bubble tip anemone on my 34g tank, and the clows dont even get close to it, just like if the anemone wasnt even in the tank.

How long should I take the clows to host the anemone? Anything I should do?

clowns101
06/05/2009, 07:54 PM
THERE IS NO TELLING!THE CLOWN WILL HOST THE ANEMONE WHEN SHE OR HE FEELS READY TO HOST.THEY ARE TANK RAISED SO THEY MAY NEVER HOST.THE ONLY THING I WILL TELL YOU TO DO IS TO BE PATICENT AND WAIT FOR THE TIME.

Phyxius
06/05/2009, 07:57 PM
Ours how NO interest in the 2 RBTA we have in the tank. We had one for a long time and then it split and now we have two. They pay them no attention at all. Our male has just recently taken to our large clam and will lay and swim through it for some reason.

My son had one in his Nano that hosted in anything that moved....

AD87
06/05/2009, 08:46 PM
Are they hosting anyting else?

rssjsb
06/06/2009, 10:49 AM
Don't give up - my CB ocellaris took a year to notice the BTAs in the tank with them. Now they won't leave and they're spawning like clockwork.

Toddrtrex
06/06/2009, 12:51 PM
First off, then being tank raised doesn't matter. Being hosted is an instinct and not a learned behavior. There is a possibility that that instinct could be bread out of them, but that will take many generations, and even then can't say for sure.

2 days isn't long enough -- it could take days, weeks, months, etc. I have had clowns that were hosted right away, and others that took months.

kmu
06/06/2009, 12:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15144078#post15144078 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by speeddemonlsr
Are they hosting anyting else?

They are not hosting anything yet...

But one of their picasso brothers on a friends tank hosts anything they can swim on like frogspawn, hammers, duncans...

AD87
06/06/2009, 01:50 PM
I would wait some time try feeding near the anemone.

Mine would always host my frogspawn and nto the nem, so I took it out and they went for the nem.

zhorne
06/06/2009, 02:03 PM
I tried everything listed on these forums for my percs and nothing worked. I had a nice carpet for them and my GSMs rule the other side of the tank in a huge BTA. What better example for them to see on a daily basis???

I finally gave up and talked to my wife about putting them in my sons room since he had a 12 gallon nano with no fish. She was frustrated with the fish and told me to "hurry up and do it"

The next day I got a phone call from my wife at work telling me the clowns were in the anemone!!!

You just never know when it will happen, be patient

heller792
06/06/2009, 02:29 PM
I got my laptop and pushed it up against the glass while it was playing this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHHhJy4vrf0 it freaked them out and within 10 mins they were in the bta. Try this and play around with a decent video of a nem and clown from you tube. Also make sure its dark enough for the laptop to show a clear image.

dave

vaporize
06/06/2009, 06:57 PM
eerrm...... 3 days? most of my t.r. host within 1-7 days

chilihedkc
06/07/2009, 12:41 PM
Playing a video for your clownfish????? Now that's funnnnnny.

heller792
06/07/2009, 12:44 PM
but it worked !!!!!!!!!!!

Scrandrew
06/07/2009, 06:00 PM
I have a rose bubble tip and two green bubble tips (my green split into two). After about a month, none of my four oscellaris went anywhere near them. Frustrated, I purchased a maroon clown who hosted in them about 10 minutes after its introduction. One green bubble tip and the rose bubble tip live on the bottom of the left side of my 210 gallon tank. The second green bubble tip now lives on the upper right side of my tank - nowhere near and out of sight of the maroon on the bottom left. Still the oscellaris go nowhere near it.

After about six months, two of my oscellaris jumped out of the tank and died. The third oscellaris disappeared. The remaining oscellaris still has never approached any of the bubble tips. Over that six months, I purchased another maroon clown. I also purchased a purple sebae anemone.

At the present time, I have four anemones, a rbt, 2 gbt, and a purple sebae. The maroon clown pair live in one of the gbt and the rbt. No one lives in the purple sebae or the other gbt. The oscellaris cluelessly swims around the tank. I hate him like poison and resent the fact that he adds to my bioload.

A~

phunkie99
06/08/2009, 10:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15152685#post15152685 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Scrandrew
.... I hate him like poison and resent the fact that he adds to my bioload.
A~ :uzi: :fish1:
Easy killer just remember you picked him not the other way around.

KMU: it took my clowns almost two years to figure it out.

t4zalews
06/09/2009, 07:45 AM
i just introduced my rod's onyx clowns and I guided one with a net to the anemone and then just put the net with the fish in it on top of the anemone...kinda forced introduction. After about 20 min. (just leave the net in the tank) the fish got the idea and startred rubbing around in it.

5 minutes later the other one saw how much fun the one was having and joined. They never leave the anemone now.

doryrocks
06/09/2009, 02:30 PM
^ how to you keep them close to the anemone with the net? my occs just touches the BTA, sneaks in between the tentacles then rush out =(

muddysr5
06/09/2009, 02:50 PM
let's all just be nice to the clownfish and help them find their homes :)

jlt232000
06/09/2009, 07:22 PM
I have had my pair of false percs who were tank raised for 5 months withmt rbta. They never went near it UNTIL a couple of days the were swimng right next to it. They still dont host but seems like they are not affraid of it.