PDA

View Full Version : Aqua-Safe

jay375
06/06/2009, 10:57 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/57469mini-mini-IMG_2420.JPG
This unit has been sitting in my garage for about a year. I want to replace all filters and di resin. what do I need to order?

Thanks in advance,
Jay

Buckeye Hydro
06/06/2009, 12:43 PM
Assuming:
-you are on city water
-have no chloramines
-don't have any particular problem with heavy sediment loads
-that the system came with a 100 gpd membrane and that's what you want to stay with
-you want to use the DI water for your aquarium and aren't looking to use the RO water for drinking
and that you want to go with a filter configuation like the original

1 micron sediment filter
5 micron carbon block
0.6 micron carbon block
100 gpd membrane
1.25 lbs color changing DI resin

remove the inline GAC filter after the DI resin, keep the fittings from both ends, and throw out the filter

Use the instructions on our website to sanitize the system before you install the new filters.

Russ

jay375
06/06/2009, 02:21 PM
Cool, thanks for the quick response.I'm on city water but I think the water here is pretty hard. I dont have a tds meter but I get hard water stains in really short periods of time in sink and toilet.
Would it hurt if went with 75gpd membrane. Is there any advantage to doing that?

Buckeye Hydro
06/06/2009, 03:16 PM
Re going to 75 gpd membrane, how big is your aquarium? What is the three digit number on your flow restrictor?

When you say water stains, are they whitish, rust colored, or black?

A tds meter would be a very good tool to get - we have HM Digital handhelds for under $20 - so they are not expensive.

Russ

jay375
06/06/2009, 04:06 PM
I think the number is 600. My tank is a180g with 75 gal sump.Stains are rust colored. I'll include a tds in this order.
Thanks again,

Buckeye Hydro
06/06/2009, 05:21 PM
You could go to a 75 gpd and use that same flow restrictor.

Those stains are indicative or iron - which will load up inside a membrane and ruin it as well. If you have a water softener, supply the softened water to the RO system.

Russ

jay375
06/06/2009, 09:05 PM
Great info; I always thought I needed a water softner. my di resin never lasted never long, even after replacing filters. I'll look into getting a softner before I continue .

Thanks a bunch!