PDA

View Full Version : Quick DIY Sump Baffle Question

E.intheC
06/06/2009, 05:45 PM
I have turned an extra 10 gallon tank into a sump.

.. Just got done siliconing the baffles in place, and the realized: "I think I screwed it up!" :eek1:

Here's the setup: (from left to right)

1st section: where the water enters the sump, and where the protein skimmer sits. Then there is the baffle section, then the return pump.

Problem is, the baffle that's closest to the return pump is higher than the first baffle (on the protein skimmer side).. The middle baffle is spaced so that it's about 1 inch off the floor of the sump.

D'oh! Is this going to cause a problem?

Thanks for the help!

kgross
06/06/2009, 08:50 PM
The only problem it will cause is that you might have bubble problems with the water flowing over the last baffle into the return section. The water will be above the first baffle, and your bubble trap will not do anything, but it might not even be needed.

Kim

diveman05
06/07/2009, 06:28 AM
you could just take a razor blade and cut the silicon and start over, its not to hard to do and that way you won't have a bubble problem

THE ROOK
06/07/2009, 07:05 AM
How much higher? I doubt 1/4"-1/2" will cause any issues. Give it a run. Can always adjust later while sump is out for cleaning.

E.intheC
06/07/2009, 07:24 AM
hmm.. I thought it'd cause a problem with the water level. The third baffle is a good 2 or 3 inches higher than the first.

THE ROOK
06/07/2009, 07:47 AM
If the center baffle is higher than both ends, it will still kind of work. The water level in the skimmer section would actually be the height of that last (return side) baffle.

As diveman mentioned, you can fix the baffle problem pretty quick with a razor & more silicone.

E.intheC
06/07/2009, 03:17 PM
yep. That's what I ended up doing this am. I just went out, cut the silicone, and re did the last baffle. They're now the correct height.