PDA

View Full Version : can ich affect coral?

mucsles916
06/06/2009, 09:22 PM
two of my fish have ich becuzz my uv light was off. i got it fixed and im hoping that it will go away cuzz i cant cath them to put in diffrent tank. i was wondring if ich will damage any coral?

diveman05
06/06/2009, 09:24 PM
No it shouldn't to my knowledge, ich is a parasite that needs a live animal host to live and reproduce

Michael
06/06/2009, 11:50 PM
no the corals will be fine, do not treat your fish with anything like copper though whilst they are in the main tank, the treatment will kill your corals, copper is leathel to all corals and inverts. reef safe treatments dont work, if you cant get your fish try a diet of live foods, like blood worm etc, the extra nurishment will excit them and keep them well fed and they may be strong enough to fight it off, (probably not but theres a chance), at worse if the fish die do not add any other fish for a good 2 months afterwards and the whitespot should have died out by that time

dpbement
06/07/2009, 10:37 PM
Agreed. Ich is a parasite that needs a fish to exist. Read up on the life cycle of this pest. As far as treatments go I never put chemicals in my tank as they cause a myriad of other problems and end up being worse than the disease. I had a maroon clown in my nano that ended up with ich shortly after I got him. I ended up giving him a freshwater dip for 2 minutes on two different days....cleared it right up.

tmz
06/08/2009, 12:35 AM
Uv won't kill it. It won't hurt corals.

RicksReefs
06/08/2009, 06:09 AM
many corals will treat ich as just another bug snack.