PDA

View Full Version : How does the chrloramine filters work?

FiReBReTHa
06/07/2009, 12:09 AM
I live in an area that supplements it.

TIA!

Thefilterguys
06/07/2009, 10:33 AM
Chloramine is a long lasting disinfectant made by adding ammonia to chlorinated water. Chloramine treated water can be left in an open container for weeks on end and not breakdown where on the other hand chlorine will off gas itself overnight. The best filtration for chloramine is carbon contact time with at least two stages of very high quality carbon filters. Chloramine is hard on carbon filters and low capacity drink water filters don't last very long.

Chloramine is broken down by carbon filtration leaving a residual of ammonia. The ammonia will pass right through the RO membrane and needs the DI cartridge to remove it. If chloramine is not removed it will cause fish to suffocate.

Jim

FiReBReTHa
06/07/2009, 11:05 AM
Very cool,

jut showed my wife the info.

I shouldnt have posted so late! I actually meant, what filter do I order and where does it go in my five stage?

I am an RO noob! I have sadly zero experiance with it.

Thefilterguys
06/07/2009, 09:32 PM
Here is the recommended filter set for chloramines for the first three filters across the bottom. Are you running a TDS meter after your DI?

Jim

http://thefilterguys.biz/filter_packages.htm

$34.00 - CARBON BLOCK CHLORAMINE PACKAGE

FiReBReTHa
06/08/2009, 02:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15153957#post15153957 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Thefilterguys
Here is the recommended filter set for chloramines for the first three filters across the bottom. Are you running a TDS meter after your DI?

Jim

http://thefilterguys.biz/filter_packages.htm

$34.00 - CARBON BLOCK CHLORAMINE PACKAGE

yup, inline TDS.

TDS meter after the DI.

systems been running for about a year.

Thefilterguys
06/08/2009, 07:42 PM
Are you still reading zero tds on your meter and if you are using color changing resin how much has changed color?

Jim

FiReBReTHa
06/09/2009, 11:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15159719#post15159719 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Thefilterguys
Are you still reading zero tds on your meter and if you are using color changing resin how much has changed color?

Jim

Go figure! today I figure ill grab some top off and snap a photo, its no longer reading zero TDS!

my input is around 250.

http://firespeed.com/storage/Firebrethas/random/Fishy/temp/09-06-09_ROsetup.jpg

Thefilterguys
06/09/2009, 01:43 PM
OK unless you have made lots of water (1000 gallons )I would say your tap water has lower pH indicating some CO2. I say that because your bio indicates only nanos. CO2 causes DI exhaustion and has no tds reading.

Your DI looks exhausted and the reading of 1 also indicates likewise so you will also need to refill or replace your DI cartridge. Use the color changing resin refill or filled cartridge.

Jim

FiReBReTHa
06/09/2009, 11:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15163940#post15163940 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Thefilterguys
OK unless you have made lots of water (1000 gallons )I would say your tap water has lower pH indicating some CO2. I say that because your bio indicates only nanos. CO2 causes DI exhaustion and has no tds reading.

Your DI looks exhausted and the reading of 1 also indicates likewise so you will also need to refill or replace your DI cartridge. Use the color changing resin refill or filled cartridge.

Jim

I checked the site and saw the chloramine package and saw the two different prices, I think a price difference of 2$

...what should I go with and can I go with. me and the wife were a little confused by the options and 2$ does not break the bank :lol:

I hope others find this thread because it has lots of good information!!

Thefilterguys
06/10/2009, 09:45 AM
This is the filter set you want to order I find carbon block filters much better as you have no carbon dust to deal with.

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/chloramine_filters.htm

$53.00 - CARBON BLOCK CHLORAMINE PLUS DI

Jim

FiReBReTHa
06/14/2009, 10:26 PM
Ordered!

Have you guys ever considered using USPS flat rate shipping?
you can use their box and easily fit 6-7 filters in one box and it would cut costs in half to ship.

-Rick