PDA

View Full Version : Two fish MIA

ataller
06/07/2009, 02:04 PM
Hi guys,

So I am trying to keep my fish relatively small so I can have a number of them. I like variety. The problem I guess is that they can easily hide and you never see them again.

I have a yellow canary wrasse, twin spot blenny, two percs, a rainfords and a yashia haze goby. The blenny is awesome my favourite fish, he sits up top on my magfloat and watches everyone. Coris swims around, great splash of colour. And the two percs about a year and a half old now, won't move 2 inches away from their frogspawn.

The rainfords and the yashia are the problem. The rainfords has found himself a little cave under a piece of Liverock and rarely ventures out. The rock is very well established and I am sure there are lots of pods for him, but he doesn't seem to hunt very much. He has only been in the tank 4 days, is it possible he will venture out more with time or does it looks like he is a goner?

As for the yashia, he has been missing since day 1. I put him in went to bed and I haven't seen him since. He isn't in the sump, he isnt jerky on the floor, I have doubled up bird block netting in a custom frame lid to keep future fairy wrasses in, I suppose the yashia could squeeze out but I haven't found a body yet. There is a randall's pistol shrimp in there with him too. Is it possible they are holed up somewhere in the back? Is it normal to put one of these shrimp gobies in the tank and never see them again?

Adam

revaltion131
06/07/2009, 03:39 PM
First, iirc, Rainford gobies are actually herbivores, specifically feeding on filamentous hair algae. It is normal for any fish to stay hidden for awhile. The few Rainfords I've seen have been active and out in the open after they adjusted to the tank.

How long has the Yasha been in the tank, same as the Rainford's?

ataller
06/07/2009, 03:53 PM
I hate to be argumentative but as far as my research has shown their stomach contents
do include the filamentous algae but it is only coincidental to the
microfauna they suck out of it.

I did see the rainfords today and he was very wary of me and slowly moved back
Into his cave. So at least he is coming out.

Yasha has been in the same amount too. About 4 days. I can't find any trace of him
Though. I guess time will tell if he is hiding or if a piece of liverock crushed
Him and his pistol.

Thanks !
Adam