PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine tank

goochesfish
06/07/2009, 03:41 PM
Is a hang on back bio wheel filter adequate for a QT? I will also put in 1 large live rock but no sand. Is that OK?

mflamb
06/07/2009, 06:19 PM
I use a dual biowheel. Don't use rock or sand if you plan to use any meds. The aragonite will absorb some meds.

goochesfish
06/07/2009, 09:51 PM
can the same tank be used to QT coral and fish (at not at the same time)?

tmz
06/07/2009, 10:08 PM
Why not if you give the corals enough light.

goochesfish
06/07/2009, 10:39 PM
I was just concerned that if the fish needed any treatment, how much of the medication would get absorbed into the silicone? I also can't imagine how the coral, especially an SPS would survive on just a biowheel or a sponge for filtration?

tmz
06/07/2009, 10:59 PM
If you use medications and wipe it down with white vinegar, rinse it and dry it it should be fine. As for flitration. If you are not feeding the tank much as would be the case with qt'd corals. iIdon't think you would get muchPO4 or NO3 even with just an hob filter for a short term qt.

Whys
06/08/2009, 03:16 AM
I've heard copper treatments can get in the silicone and can't be cleaned out. Some use a separate tank for treating with copper, often referred to as a hospital tank.

A lot of hobbyists use an air-driven sponge, but a biowheel can work. You just might need to replace it between quarantines. Especially if you intend to leave it in the sump of your display tank to seed it before QT'ing something.

Sand is a bad idea. A little liverock can be used, but some argue it's not a good idea either. What ever the case, any liverock placed in the QT can't be moved back to the display. So it only works if this is a continuously running QT, as opposed to an 'as needed' QT.

I use a fluval canister filter with course sponges for mine and can replace the sponges easily.

How big is your QT?

goochesfish
06/09/2009, 11:11 PM
30 gallon for a 150g DT that's not even set up yet. I was hoping to QT a couple of fish while the 150 is cycling.