PDA

View Full Version : Test kit and Part A and B

Matt0676
06/07/2009, 10:22 PM
The test kit I am currently using tests for Carbonate Hardness, is this the same as Alkalinity? If so what is the desired range? Also I am dosing with Part A and B (Kent Marine). After reading the bottles it appears that the Part A controls Calcium and Part B controls Buffer. What does buffer refer to?

HighlandReefer
06/08/2009, 05:06 AM
Carbonate hardness is what most hobbyists refer to when they test for alkalinity in marine aquariums.

Randy goes into more details in this article:

What is Alkalinity
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/2/chemistry

The desired range for alk. is 7-11 dKH.

I am not familiar with the Kent products, but with most two-part systems, Part A is for alk. and part B is for calcium. I would follow the directions they give for their product though.

I am not sure what Kent is referring to as a buffer. It could be simply baking soda or it could be a mixture of baking soda, baked baking soda and perhaps other ingredients that may effect your alk. in a manor that you really do not want, which are intended to maintain your pH. You don't want to use buffers to maintain your pH. You use them to maintain your alk. FWIW, I would use baking soda for an alk. supplement & if you have problems with low pH perhaps baked baking soda.

Compguy
06/08/2009, 07:37 AM
When they say Buffer, to me that means Alk, I used to dose Two Little Fishes 2 part system, but switched to B-Ionic a while back because of cost, of course, using Randy's would be the cheapest, but I guess you could just call me lazy, I have stuck with B-Ionic. Of course I am only using 30mL a day in my 55G, the 70G frag has just been setup, so I am not dosing yet. Probably will be switching to dripping kalk though in both.