PDA

View Full Version : New clowns in main tank - odd behavior?

CloruroDiSodio
06/08/2009, 05:53 AM
Hi gang,

A few weeks ago I had purchased two small tank raised false percula clowns. They were in a 10gal QT tank with PVC fittings for hiding spaces. During the AT period everything looked good, each one staked out it's on PVC pipe to hide in at night and periodically during the day. I transferred them to my 180gal main tank yesterday. During the day the swam together, mostly along the glass at about mid tank level. When the tank lights started to go out they didn't try and hide anywhere. Even after all of the lights were out they were still trying to swim around in the dark. has anyone ever heard of this? When I checked up on them this morning (lights still out) they were hiding at the water surface behind a return line. Could it be that they have never seen live rock and don't know what it is? There are a ton of hiding places within the rock that would simulate the pvc pipes they were in. They never even ventured towards the tank bottom however. any ideas?

Ohiomom
06/08/2009, 06:33 AM
Not an issue..mine have done this for years..up top by a powerhead..they really don't go in the rocks much..hth

CloruroDiSodio
06/08/2009, 06:34 AM
Hi Ohiomom. Yeah it is really weird, especially considering they stayed towards the bottom of the QT tank for about 90% of the time during the day and all of the time at night. Were your clowns tank raised as well?

DaveMilly
06/08/2009, 06:41 AM
"I had purchased two small tank raised false percula clowns" <-- Cloruro.

I'd myself put it down to maybe the fact that they've been put into the main tank, maybe they are wary of going near someone elses territory. The top seems the safest bet for them at present, as no fish claim the top, just rocks. Give it a few days, then maybe they will get some courage to go find a rock to claim their own!

Ohiomom
06/08/2009, 07:07 AM
yes they were captive bred..they are active during the day, have never hosted in anything and are a mated pair. I don't think you have any reason for concern..

CloruroDiSodio
06/08/2009, 07:10 AM
Sounds good, thanks a lot

jhoff
06/08/2009, 08:43 AM
Just gige them time to adjust to there new surroundings my clown stays in a patch of yellow polops during the day and sleeps at the bottom corner of the tank.

TwistedEnvy
06/08/2009, 09:01 AM
My little liar clownfish (false perc) does this as well. sleeps in a constant flow of water.

golby
06/08/2009, 09:30 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. I have two Ocellaris clowns and they never hide in the rocks (at night or during the day). At night they just hover in place together in an open, medium/low flow area--so they are constantly swimming slowly to stay in place. They seem perfectly happy--eat well (from a variety of foods) and swim around during the day.

CloruroDiSodio
06/08/2009, 09:44 AM
Great, thank you everyone for your replies! I feel much more comfortable now