PDA

View Full Version : Questions about adding fish

birdz
06/08/2009, 03:40 PM
Most aggressive first or least aggressive first?

Also, I have only about 40lbs of rock in a 55 gallon tank - ill be adding more rock soon (maybe 30 lbs more). Should I wait to add fish after I add the rock?

I've got a scooter blenny in there now
I had a firefish but the mantis got him :(

KarlBob
06/08/2009, 03:50 PM
Did you catch the mantis? If not, it will probably snag at least one of the newcomers.

Is the new rock cured or uncured? Uncured rock is rock that was pulled out of the ocean pretty recently. It still contains various critters that won't survive aquarium conditions. As the rock cures, the unsuitable critters die off and raise ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels. Essentially, the tank goes through the cycling process all over again. Cured rock will have less die-off, but adding it can still throw your nitrogen cycle off balance for a while.

Either way, your safest bet would be to add the rock, monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and don't add fish until the levels get back to normal.

pimpinitup6969
06/08/2009, 03:50 PM
least aggressive fish first. What do you plan on adding? depending on what fish you plan to add you might be fine with the rock you have for now

KarlBob
06/08/2009, 03:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15158270#post15158270 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pimpinitup6969
least aggressive fish first.
Agreed. Save the most aggressive for last. Let everyone else claim their personal space before the most territorial fish arrive.

birdz
06/08/2009, 08:04 PM
I havent really decided on fish yet, im open to suggestion

I would get liverock out of a LFS tank - would that be cured or uncured. The rock I have now is from TBS (out of the gulf)