PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish Issues

michealprater
06/09/2009, 05:22 AM
I have a Regal Angel in QT now and his mouth appears to be red. I also have a Potters in QT and his top fin appears to have fin rot. The QT is treated with Prazipro and Cupramine and I am doing regular water changes. What other treatment can help with fin rot and a possible infection of the mouth. I was thinking Melafix. Any help is appreciated.

LargeAngels
06/09/2009, 06:39 AM
Pics would help. I've never had to treat for fin rot so someone else can hopefully help. First thing is that whatever you treat with it either has to be compatible with Cupramine or remove all Cupramine before treatment. If I ever see any hints of bacterial issues in QT while treating with Cupramine I use Maracyn II. That can also be used while treating with Prazipro. Are you sure it is fin rot? Flukes can damage fins to make it look like fin rot.

I'm sure you have already checked the ammonia levels, as this is a huge issue in QT's. While treating with Cupramine you will get false high readings of ammonia with some test kits. I use Seachem's ammonia alert badge on my QT's.

michealprater
06/09/2009, 08:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15161623#post15161623 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LargeAngels
Pics would help. I've never had to treat for fin rot so someone else can hopefully help. First thing is that whatever you treat with it either has to be compatible with Cupramine or remove all Cupramine before treatment. If I ever see any hints of bacterial issues in QT while treating with Cupramine I use Maracyn II. That can also be used while treating with Prazipro. Are you sure it is fin rot? Flukes can damage fins to make it look like fin rot.

I'm sure you have already checked the ammonia levels, as this is a huge issue in QT's. While treating with Cupramine you will get false high readings of ammonia with some test kits. I use Seachem's ammonia alert badge on my QT's.

I have not gotten any ammonia readings. The tank was fully cycled prior to fish, and I am doing water changes as a preventative. I will retest and post readings tonight after the water change.

These fish are super skiddish, there is no way to get near them with a camera. Unless I pull the PVC hiding spots, and I do not want to cause undue stress.

Not positive it is fin rot, but it is slowly progressing and Prazipro should have nuked the flukes.

Anyone else vote Maracyn II??

LargeAngels
06/09/2009, 08:38 AM
Have you done two Prazipro treatments? It usually takes two if it is flukes. No, don't stress them anymore than you have to. Is this the potter's from Les? Like I said I don't know much about fin rot so I will let others chime in.

michealprater
06/09/2009, 11:19 AM
Ok, I will dose Prazi again tomorrow when I get more.

Yes it came from Les.

According to Marycyn 2 package, it also does fin rot.

LargeAngels
06/09/2009, 11:34 AM
I always do a 50% water change before doing the second dose of Prazipro.

michealprater
06/09/2009, 11:49 AM
Ok, thanks for the tip, that is what I will do.

kinlayan
06/09/2009, 12:24 PM
some angels especially dwarf angels dont do well in copper treatments, if its bacterial i often use a british product called myxazin which works well.

Are they eating because it may be better to use antibiotics in the food if they are?

NPCivic
06/09/2009, 12:57 PM
I had case of Finrot and Popeye at the same time on my Koran angel and I medicated with Maracyn II. Just followed the instructions and went through the whole treatment. Popeye was cured in 2 days and Fin Rot was healed after the second dosing. Now he's doing just fine! I vote for Maracyn II.

Copper is very hard on dwarf angels and should be used with caution.

LargeAngels
06/09/2009, 01:08 PM
That is true for most copper treatements, but not Cupramine. Cupramine is very well tolerated by even "copper" sensitive fish. Only copper treatment I will use.

michealprater
06/09/2009, 02:36 PM
+1, I am using Cupramine and it is very gentle.

michealprater
06/09/2009, 05:44 PM
I drove a 1/2 hour and hit a petco and a petsmart and there was no saltwater Maracyn 2. I picked up API Triple Sulfa that is for mouth fungus and fin rot. Active ingredient is Sodium Sulfathiazole, Sodium sulfamethazine and sodium sulfaceamide. Can it be dosed with Cupramine and Prazipro present in the water. Let me know ASAP if possible so I can get it going.

michealprater
06/09/2009, 06:01 PM
I got some melafix also incase that product wasnt safe.

michealprater
06/09/2009, 08:17 PM
In an interesting development, the female potters in the tank, has just started eating good and pecking all over the place. Then I observed something truely special. After much prodding from the Regal, she is actually taking a cleaning role and is been all over the Regal. Very neat to watch!

Since no one has responded, I will treat with melafix because it is gentle and herbal. Please let me know about the Triple Sulfa.

hottuna
06/10/2009, 04:45 AM
Large angels : I know you've said in the past that praziquantel + cupramine is well tolerated...but when I combined the 2 recently my fish stopped eating and went into what I would describe as mild shock....I was using praztastic as prescribed by nat'l fish pharm....

michealprater
06/10/2009, 05:26 AM
This is not the best video, but I did my best to capture the female potters cleaning the Regal angel.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p188/michealprater/th_DSCN0753.jpg (http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p188/michealprater/?action=view&current=DSCN0753.flv)

LargeAngels
06/10/2009, 06:36 AM
hottuna: "praztastic as prescribed by nat'l fish pharm" Did you have this with the Cupramine and Prazipro? I have no idea what that stuff is. Any water treatments added when you mix the saltwater? How good is your water flow? Did you shake the prazipro bottle really well? How did you measure the Prazipro? Have you measured the pH? Some people have reported a drop in pH, but I've never seen that in my tanks.

michealprater: You've observed a neat trait of dwarfs. I've seen my venustus clean potters and vice versa. Potters and venustus clean large angels. You can also use Freshwater Maracyn and double the dosage described for freshwater.

michealprater
06/10/2009, 08:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15167783#post15167783 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LargeAngels
hottuna: "praztastic as prescribed by nat'l fish pharm" Did you have this with the Cupramine and Prazipro? I have no idea what that stuff is. Any water treatments added when you mix the saltwater? How good is your water flow? Did you shake the prazipro bottle really well? How did you measure the Prazipro? Have you measured the pH? Some people have reported a drop in pH, but I've never seen that in my tanks.

michealprater: You've observed a neat trait of dwarfs. I've seen my venustus clean potters and vice versa. Potters and venustus clean large angels. You can also use Freshwater Maracyn and double the dosage described for freshwater.

I already have the Triple Sulfa, do you think it will be safe?

LargeAngels
06/10/2009, 08:14 AM
I haven't tried it with Cupramine so I can't say. When in doubt don't do it.

michealprater
06/10/2009, 09:25 AM
Does anyone know where I could look or who I could ask?

LargeAngels
06/10/2009, 09:31 AM
If it lists the ingredients you can ask on Seachem's sponsor forum.

michealprater
06/10/2009, 05:28 PM
Male Potters passed on today.

NPCivic
06/10/2009, 10:36 PM
Sorry about your loss. Was the angel the one with the fin rot?

michealprater
06/11/2009, 05:31 AM
Yes, he had fin rot, but his dead body was bloated somewhat, I dont think the fin rot killed him.

NPCivic
06/11/2009, 09:30 AM
Wow, I heard of a bacteria infection (I think) that causes bloating as the primary infection and fin rot as the secondary. I will look it up. Hopefully you can find some saltwater Maracyn II in the area and have on hand just in case. Its good stuff and you can combine it with Maracyn for double the meds. But read in the instructions with combining meds. You can also leave the carbon while medicating if the carbon is more than 6 days old. Somehow, it has less affect on the medication after that many days.

Hang in there, you'll get through all these issues.

michealprater
06/12/2009, 07:49 AM
Update:I did two massive water changes and ran carbon on the system for the last couple of days to remove the Cupramine. I did my first dose of triple sulfa last night. This morning the Regal seemed more active and his mouth was not near as red. Not sure if it is wishful thinking or actual improvement. The female potters continues doing well, not eating food out of the column yet, but pecking quite a bit. The regal is also pecking at the glass and sand, and did have a small amount of clam on a half shell yesterday.

NPCivic
06/12/2009, 11:24 AM
That good news. Usually, when I see a lot more life in my fishes after medicating, it usually means they are in the healing process and should be fine. They should start eating soon and if not, you can put some garlic on there food for some extra enticement.

gotfrogs
12/24/2014, 05:46 PM
What happened with the second potter? I am dealing with a similiar issue and just did my first triple sulfa treatment,