PDA

View Full Version : Octopus Extreme 250 Skimmer Overflowing

chatyak
06/09/2009, 11:29 AM
Well as the name suggests...

Skimmer has been working fine for months. I skim wet with the water level a few inches below the top of the collection cup. I get up this morning to find water pouring over the top of the cup and out of the holes in the lid back into the skimmer box I made (lucky for that).

What's the deal? I didn't add anything. Why would it all of a sudden overflow like mad?

I'm going to drop the water level so it skims dry now...

kgross
06/09/2009, 11:39 AM
Something has changed the surface tension of the water. Could be something sprayed into the air around the tank, something used to clean the kitchen/bathroom in the house, or any number of other things. Did you do any painting in the house?

chatyak
06/09/2009, 11:43 AM
No painting :)

It is also in it's own "fish room". I have no idea what could of caused it.

kgross
06/09/2009, 11:46 AM
It is hard to say, normally after 24 hours or so the skimmer will calm back down. If your fish room shares any hvac with the rest of the house, or has a vent to the outside, it could be any number of things that caused it.

Kim

THE ROOK
06/09/2009, 11:46 AM
Sump water level changed?

Kinked airline or blockage at pump?

chatyak
06/09/2009, 12:12 PM
It has an open part near the ceiling that connects with the rest of the house, but nothing has been done that I am aware of. It sits in it's own skimmer sump that I made so the water level never changes, and the output is above water.

No kinked airlines, although it is using the standard 3/8 ID tubing that it came with, which has duct tape around it to hold it in place... I think I need to pick up new tubing to secure the airline... maybe some water/air got in that part.

It is worrying.. what if I was away from the house? The skimmer would just keep overflowing the guck back into the system water...

kgross
06/09/2009, 12:25 PM
The guck going back into the water would not cause a short term problem.

Kim

jejton
06/09/2009, 12:42 PM
I have the 150 and have been having the same problem for a week now - since I epoxied a few frags in. Previously, I would turn off the skimmer for a day and then it goes back to normal ( first time I learned the hard way as it overflows into a separate bucket, thus triggering my ATO ). This time it still hasnt. I left it off for a few days - no change. I started running carbon - no change. I turned it back on but have the collector emptying back into the sump so I dont have to worry about SG. I figured maybe I need to let it run for a bit. No change. I just put in poly filter and am waiting to see if there will be any change.