PDA

View Full Version : How To Keep Blues Blue

ccradr
06/09/2009, 05:58 PM
I have had decent luck with SPS corals..but it is hard for me to keep blues blue. I was wondering if the pros have any suggestions. I have a 7foot long 265 gallon reef. I use 3 400 watt 12k Reeflux bulbs run on CV ballast. Hanna meter says im around .03 constantly, Alk 9, Mag 1250, Cal 420. Also use a few 50/50 t5 bulbs to help. Nitrate is 0. I have started to use Zeovit Pohls xtra to see if that works...oh and I also use D&D Salt.

Thoughts????

ccradr
06/09/2009, 05:59 PM
P.S. I also use Prodibio bacteria and reef booster. I dose 10 ml vodka per day

SunnyX
06/09/2009, 06:08 PM
My secret to incredible blues is Lugol's solution. The potassium in it keeps my corals ultra blue.

I have been using it for 8 years now and have had great results. :thumbsup:

wrightnow
06/09/2009, 07:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15165465#post15165465 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SunnyX
My secret to incredible blues is Lugol's solution. The potassium in it keeps my corals ultra blue.

How much are you dosing and how often?

Docmaffei
06/09/2009, 08:34 PM
Is any form of iodine supplementation OK for maintaining blue coloration? I currently use ESV's products, including their iodine solution, which I've been using intermittently at best. My blue coloration could be better. Should I switch to Logul's or simply just start using the ESV iodine more religiously?

fishieness
06/09/2009, 10:06 PM
It depends what the iodine solution is made out of. Lugol's is iodine and potassium iodide. KI is a cheap way to distribute both elements, so it is likely that other solutions will use it also, but you will have to check. Most medical/diet stores also sell K powders.

gsxunv04
06/09/2009, 10:10 PM
how much lugols? as directed?

Dejavu
06/10/2009, 12:09 AM
Lugols has K+ in it, but be careful not to over dose it. The amount of K+ that you get form it is small in retrospect to the amount that you can add safely. There are other methods of added K+, K-balacne being one and a good salt another.

SunnyX
06/10/2009, 07:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15166038#post15166038 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wrightnow
How much are you dosing and how often?

I dose 5 drops a week on about 170 total system volume.

sailfintang
06/10/2009, 08:03 AM
K in general will help your blues and purps come out in the tank.

rduong89
06/10/2009, 10:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15168074#post15168074 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SunnyX
I dose 5 drops a week on about 170 total system volume.

if i have a 120 gallon total volume...how much should i dose? sorry to hijack your thread.

gsxunv04
06/10/2009, 10:19 AM
3 or 4 drops

stony_corals
06/10/2009, 11:28 AM
There is very little K in Potassium Iodide.... very little. If you tried to increase your tanks levels of K using Potassium Iodide, you'd likely kill off the tank before you raised your K levels.... too much iodide added. If you want to raise/increase/supplement your K, you need something specifically designed to do so like KCl or one of KZs or BWs products. Lugol's would add no more K than Potassium Iodide as its simply Potassium Iodide in Iodine.

flyyyguy
06/10/2009, 07:57 PM
Excellent water parameters, flow and most importantly reeflux 10k's are all it takes for brilliant blues

wrightnow
06/10/2009, 09:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15172127#post15172127 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flyyyguy
Excellent water parameters, flow and most importantly reeflux 10k's are all it takes for brilliant blues

I have excellent water parameters, po4=.07, great flow but using raduim is my problem...really

flyyyguy
06/10/2009, 10:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15172767#post15172767 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wrightnow
but using raduim is my problem...really

It was a somewhat facetious post...but only somewhat. I didnt post it without honestly believing there is truth to it.

Most people who hae ever used the reeflux 10k's will agree at least to some extent. They bring out blue (true blue) like no other

agsansoo
06/10/2009, 10:56 PM
@flyyyguy, Are you using 250w or 400w bulbs ?

skimmerman100
06/10/2009, 11:23 PM
lugol and koral kolor is the best way.dose 2 a week see ur results in 2 weeka youll be satisfied with ur results. ive seen the colors of my corals glowing better and brighter. take a before and after pics. and try to change your bulbs every 8 to 9 months or so. that can help alot when your on time changing bulbs. water changes help

flyyyguy
06/10/2009, 11:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15173045#post15173045 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by agsansoo
@flyyyguy, Are you using 250w or 400w bulbs ?

250's

Unless I changed my system and/or sps keeping philosophy I dont think I could handle 400's to be perfectly honest

wrightnow
06/10/2009, 11:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15172922#post15172922 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flyyyguy
It was a somewhat facetious post...but only somewhat. I didnt post it without honestly believing there is truth to it.

Most people who hae ever used the reeflux 10k's will agree at least to some extent. They bring out blue (true blue) like no other

I was just having fun also, but I do like the colors you have in your tank and wish I could get my tanks to look the same.

I just feel I'm overlooking something to get blues

ReefWreak
06/11/2009, 06:17 AM
Just to second flyguy, its true about the reeflux 10ks colors. That being said, I hated it compared to my XM 10ks because the RL only bring out blue, where the xms bring out green purple red orange, basically many colors, but not as much blue. Now I run reeflux and everything looks better in my tank.

Your issue is that high phosphate and check nitrates. Brown corals mean dirty water.

ccradr
06/11/2009, 06:57 AM
So I have water parameters of Nitrate=o
Po4=.03
And I still have brown corals. I was using 400 watt radiums but switched over to 400 watt 12K Reeflux

wrightnow
06/11/2009, 08:48 AM
I also have nitrate=0 and p04=.07, I dont have brown corals, just not blue blue color on my torte

reefer31
06/12/2009, 07:34 PM
What K supplement can you buy at the pharmacy/store that is reef safe? Also, how much do you dose?

When I first started reefing I used B-Ionic which has K among other things, and my colors were so much better than now. I use seachem CA and buffer for my ca and alk needs and my colors are not very good. I think Im going to try B-ionic again and see if that is the cause. Sorry to hijack.

rduong89
06/16/2009, 12:26 AM
im dosing vibrance from seachem...lets see how that goes. 1ml a day.

gmneil
06/16/2009, 12:39 AM
if i were to purchase Potassium from a health food store, what should i choose? i see there are many forms of Potassium and i wouldnt want to choose the wrong one

ReefWreak
06/17/2009, 04:37 PM
Bump for potassium sources? Brands, boxes?

Reefer08
06/18/2009, 01:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15165465#post15165465 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SunnyX

Do you test for Potassium? At what levels do you keep it in your tank?

SunnyX
06/18/2009, 07:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15213785#post15213785 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefer08
Do you test for Potassium? At what levels do you keep it in your tank?

I have never tested for them but have been dosing Lugols every week for 8 years now. I have never had issues with my corals and they have always been bright and colorful. :D

If you are worried about Lugol's then I suggest that you test your water levels.

eskymick
06/18/2009, 09:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15201029#post15201029 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gmneil
if i were to purchase Potassium from a health food store, what should i choose? i see there are many forms of Potassium and i wouldnt want to choose the wrong one

For a potassium supplement, I use this ... very successfully:

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Potassium-Chloride-Powder-8oz-227-g/777?at=0

gmneil
06/18/2009, 03:14 PM
eskymick
thanks for the link, how much do you dose and how often?

manhorsedog
06/18/2009, 03:54 PM
well all your numbers look ok so this is what I think. Natural trace elements can get eating up really quick in a reef tank, so doing weekly water changes of %25 will greatly effect your system.

Take it for what its worth but all the best tanks I have seen with my own eyes have done 15-25% every week.

Now since you are doing water changes more often if you happen to miss a week or two it wont be as big a deal.

good luck.

reefried
06/18/2009, 04:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15165398#post15165398 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ccradr
I have had decent luck with SPS corals..but it is hard for me to keep blues blue. I was wondering if the pros have any suggestions. I have a 7foot long 265 gallon reef. I use 3 400 watt 12k Reeflux bulbs run on CV ballast. Hanna meter says im around .03 constantly, Alk 9, Mag 1250, Cal 420. Also use a few 50/50 t5 bulbs to help. Nitrate is 0. I have started to use Zeovit Pohls xtra to see if that works...oh and I also use D&D Salt.

Thoughts????

.....first of all dont add any potassium supplement with out testing for potassium first, and during the supplementation.....and FWIW i have seen MANY tanks that the blues jump out at you, and most of the owners dont test for k and never have......

....ccradr.....if i were you i would ditch the 50/50 bulbs and go with some ati blue plus, or giessman actinic+....I personally like the giessmans you'll notice a difference fast.....

ccradr
06/18/2009, 05:12 PM
I do have two actinic +...you think I should go all actnic plus with my Reeflux 12k?

Piazzon12
06/18/2009, 05:48 PM
I bet if you all stopped dosing, you'd keep your blues.... you just have become better reef keepers

eskymick
06/18/2009, 06:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15217273#post15217273 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gmneil
eskymick
thanks for the link, how much do you dose and how often?

I dose as needed. Generally one ore two teaspoons at a time. I always test first ... with a good test kit such as the one available from zeovit.

naldopr
06/18/2009, 06:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15172922#post15172922 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flyyyguy

my corals where so nice on the 10k switch to 20k and and as soon this go out I will do them again.

naldopr
06/18/2009, 06:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15214513#post15214513 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SunnyX
I have never tested for them but have been dosing Lugols every week for 8 years now. I have never had issues with my corals and they have always been bright and colorful. :D

If you are worried about Lugol's then I suggest that you test your water levels. sunny any particular brand of lugol's?

Reefer08
06/19/2009, 12:56 AM
Im confused. I thought lugols is iodine. Why are we talking about potassium here? They're two different things.

Peter Eichler
06/19/2009, 01:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15220483#post15220483 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefer08
Im confused. I thought lugols is iodine. Why are we talking about potassium here? They're two different things.

I think I've posted this a few times now...

I'm really getting tired of these potassium claims without anything to really support the claims... Lets see some proof or some scientific evidence to suggest potassium has anything to do with blue pigments in corals. The same goes for iodine... I and many others have no problem maintaining blues in corals and I don't dose either. Lastly, to suggest that the potassium in Lugol's is the reason for your blue corals is a little kooky to me. I would suspect that dosing Lugol's once a week will have almost no effect on potassium, even at abnormally high doses.

xtm
06/19/2009, 12:17 PM
I had a valida colony that turned to a deep blue under a..... 10K Hamilton. But then I also have a browned out Milli that also turned blue under the Ushio 20K. I think it can be achieved with any bulb color.. even 10K.

Besides basic water changes and Ca Reactor, the only other supplement I add is WM Aminos, and my blues and greens are intense.

29reef
06/19/2009, 01:42 PM
Peter- if your so tired of reading the "claims" then stop.

In our own way we are all scientists with an experimental ocean in our homes. In this thread people are sharing their experience with iodine and potassium. I think their claims are valid and you should keep your negative opinions to yourself. Many of the members who have made the claim that it helps have posted photos that definatly show they are successful at caring for their tanks.

What works for some of us will not always work for all of us. The important thing is that we try new things if what we're doing isn't working. The person who posted this thread is having an issue with blue coloration. What do you suggest he should do to fix this problem?

Sorry to rant a bit there but I feel that if so many people can have success with the same common factor then there must me some hidden truth in their method. Proven or not.

My additives include iron, magnesium, calcium, iodine, potassium, amino acids, and a few others.

reefried
06/19/2009, 01:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15217957#post15217957 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ccradr
I do have two actinic +...you think I should go all actnic plus with my Reeflux 12k?

.....yes I do....unless you dont like the blue look which i assume is why you went with the 50/50 in the first place..........but i truely believe that switching out the 50/50's with the actinic+ will work in your case....its deffinitly worth a try, and is less risky than dosing...:D

Reefer08
06/19/2009, 04:21 PM
Im still not understand everyone here. Lugols is not potassium, lugols is iodine. Someone clarify this for me please.

My belief on Potassium is that if your not testing for it then don't dose it. Natural sea water levels of Potassium K+ is ~380mg.

My salt brand that I put into my tank is high in Potassium so that makes me not worry about having to test for Potassium.

Peter Eichler
06/19/2009, 08:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15223172#post15223172 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 29reef
Peter- if your so tired of reading the "claims" then stop.

In our own way we are all scientists with an experimental ocean in our homes. In this thread people are sharing their experience with iodine and potassium. I think their claims are valid and you should keep your negative opinions to yourself. Many of the members who have made the claim that it helps have posted photos that definatly show they are successful at caring for their tanks.

No, you, I, and most everyone else with a reef aquarium are not scientists in our own way. It's a bunch of people that are victims of marketing and it's setting this hobby back if anything, though overall it's pretty harmless. If you want to dump something in your aquarium with little to no basis for doing so, knock yourself out. However, I'm going to continue to show people another side to the argument and let them know that many of these supplements exist for little other reason than greed and misinterpreted scientific studies. This forum is all about expressing our opinions and I will continue to do so whether you like it or not.

Canadian
06/19/2009, 10:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15225364#post15225364 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Peter Eichler
No, you, I, and most everyone else with a reef aquarium are not scientists in our own way. It's a bunch of people that are victims of marketing and it's setting this hobby back if anything, though overall it's pretty harmless. If you want to dump something in your aquarium with little to no basis for doing so, knock yourself out. However, I'm going to continue to show people another side to the argument and let them know that many of these supplements exist for little other reason than greed and misinterpreted scientific studies. This forum is all about expressing our opinions and I will continue to do so whether you like it or not.

+1 Good reply!

There is absolutely nothing "scientific" about what 99.9% of hobbyists do - there's zero control and absolutely no way to make much beyond inferences. To suggest that hobbyists are "scientists" is just ignorant.

29reef
06/20/2009, 10:11 AM
Peter- so your telling me that there's no evidence that the above mentioned elements have nothing to do with coral growth and color? I've taken a few bio classes at the college level and I'd say there's a good amount to support adding these things to our tanks

As for nothing scientific- what's that thing that scientists do all day long? Experiment?yeah I think I've been known to do that from time to time. So the fact that I don't do it over and over again. I don't crush up my new coral growth to see what elements the coral absorbed to grow. So I must not know anything about being all science like. Give me a break guys. If you don't want to add said snake oil to you tanks that's fine. But to say they have nothing to do with coral growth is untrue. I'm sure you'll refute the fact that the elements are having anything to do with it and it's really just time and light that's helpig the coral out but it's not like someone is dumping the most bizzare stuff into their tank. These elements are known to be part of corals growth. To not add additional amounts of them IMO would limit growth.

You still haven't made any suggestions to help out the problem of lasting blue coloration.

29reef
06/20/2009, 10:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15224087#post15224087 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefer08
Im still not understand everyone here. Lugols is not potassium, lugols is iodine. Someone clarify this for me please.

My belief on Potassium is that if your not testing for it then don't dose it. Natural sea water levels of Potassium K+ is ~380mg.

My salt brand that I put into my tank is high in Potassium so that makes me not worry about having to test for Potassium.

Ingredients from kent lugols- water, potassium iodide, iodine.

flyyyguy
06/20/2009, 10:35 AM
I think "scientist" is maybe the wrong word to use, as people will take ti literally and as seen, give you grief over it.

I do use a tiny bit of potassium, and I do dose aminos. they are the only things besides the big three I add to my systems.

I do not test for potassium but I do not dose very much either. I am fairly convinced that the aminos are but a snake oil, although a snake oil that regardless of what it says on the bottle, my systems do in fact benefit from the end result.

I do agree with 29reefs position that we are our own mad scientists. Not in a literal sense of course, but the bottom line is that if you do not experiment with things for yourslef, and prove with your own eyes what is true, and what is not......... and then share your unfounded opinions on these boards, then you are nothing more than a parrot like many who regurgitate what they read with no real experience on the subject and it really doesnt do anybody any favors

I do share Peters outlook for the most part in concern to all the crap people dose to their tanks, but at the same time encourage people to find things out for themselves. Its all good learning.

The vitamin C threads drives me fricken nuts. Way too many people get talked into dosing this stuff to remedy their unhealthy polyps as a FIRST step and I think it is doing more damage than good, as many times all that is needed is a fundamental set up or husbandry technique, and instead people get tricked into using this unknown magic potion and end up cutting them selves short by not looking to the basics first and foremost in the event of a problem. That topic and many others like it can be very similar to the AA, potassium type threads. Experimentation is good, but dont get so wrapped up into experimentation that you arent at the same time ALWAYS looking for another root cause to every symptom that ails you as you go along

Peter Eichler
06/20/2009, 10:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15227486#post15227486 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 29reef
Peter- so your telling me that there's no evidence that the above mentioned elements have nothing to do with coral growth and color? I've taken a few bio classes at the college level and I'd say there's a good amount to support adding these things to our tanks

As for nothing scientific- what's that thing that scientists do all day long? Experiment?yeah I think I've been known to do that from time to time. So the fact that I don't do it over and over again. I don't crush up my new coral growth to see what elements the coral absorbed to grow. So I must not know anything about being all science like. Give me a break guys. If you don't want to add said snake oil to you tanks that's fine. But to say they have nothing to do with coral growth is untrue. I'm sure you'll refute the fact that the elements are having anything to do with it and it's really just time and light that's helpig the coral out but it's not like someone is dumping the most bizzare stuff into their tank. These elements are known to be part of corals growth. To not add additional amounts of them IMO would limit growth.

You still haven't made any suggestions to help out the problem of lasting blue coloration.

You're going off on a tangent, actually several of them... And yes, I am saying that there is no scientific proof that supplementing potassium and iodine do anything for coral color, especially not the specific colors some claim. If you think there's a "good amount" to support it, find it for me.

As for aquarists experimenting, find me something resembling an experiment that shows support for potassium maintaining blue colors. I haven't even seen a before and after photo claiming potassium caused a coral to get blue, let alone something with a control...

Potassium supplements exist because of some anecdotal evidence a supplement company claims to have found and mainly because of their desire to put a huge markup on 25 cents worth of potassium. Also, the desire for reefers to have a magic bullet and to tinker are big reasons those products are successful even thought there's little to support thier use.

Each coral with blue seems a little different and I suggest people just keep up with water changes and use proper flow, light, and nutrient levels while maintaining the levels we know to be important. Do that and you'll have blue IME.

trd47
06/20/2009, 12:36 PM
Peter can we see a picture of your blue corals?

Piazzon12
06/20/2009, 04:22 PM
I can sell you a bottle of RO water, and tell you it will make your corals blue... but it only works if in addition to dosing it, you keep steady parameters with proper flow and water changes.

29reef
06/20/2009, 06:35 PM
Adam- are you saying comercial additives are too dilluted or that they do nothing? Or both?

They are mostly water, yes I agree. This is because it would be impossible to dose in raw form. Most people would kill their tanks because most of these elements are toxic in high amounts. We would all have to dilloute them every time we wanted to use them; I don't have that kind of free time. Not to mention having to weigh 1/100 of a gram or something in that ballpark. I'll say no thanks for now ;) Kent and others can do that for me.

As far as them working or not. I'll leave that up to the user. If you see results you enjoy; continue. If not, then stop buying the product.

bogg
06/20/2009, 07:12 PM
I would raise your magnesium up to at least 1350 if not 1400 to see if that helps. You can try to add some pif or potassiumiodideflouride.