PDA

View Full Version : sps corals dying is this my cause

StarF
06/10/2009, 12:42 PM
Hi

for a while now i ben having some isues with my reef. i cant seem to get the no3 downproberly, and i see acropora and other sps corals duying from the bottom and up, usaly it takes weeks for them to die out completly, and frags usaly survives.

i have a po4 of 0.14 tested with rowa and a no3 of 5-10 working on getting that back down. just started zeo.

else my water parameters are fine, what i dont know if, is this the cause? i thought my corals would survice this, just lose their color?

i am gona do a big water change with osmosis water, what i am wanting to know is, if it can be my reason, or if i need to look other where?

nanoguy
06/10/2009, 12:55 PM
What is your alkalinity at? What are you using for flow? I highly doubt it's your p04 and nitrate levels that is causing the recession at the base of your corals.

mpoletti
06/10/2009, 12:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15169798#post15169798 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nanoguy
I highly doubt it's your p04 and nitrate levels that is causing the recession at the base of your corals.

Ditto

svb57
06/10/2009, 01:02 PM
Low Alk I would think.......

StarF
06/10/2009, 01:04 PM
alk is 10, tested with 2 diffrent test sets.

ca is 440
mg is 1360

flow is 4x tunze 6100

the system has 1224L around 323 gallons.

ben having this isue for a while, tryed several water changes and so on, just cant seem to find the cause.

StarF
06/10/2009, 01:11 PM
btw when i say alk i ment Kh.

nanoguy
06/10/2009, 03:34 PM
Your parameters seem to be in order. How long have you had this system running for? What are you testing your phosphates with? Hanna photometer? I believe you are using some type of phosphate remover (Rowa). You have to be careful when implementing this stuff in you system. If you add too much too fast you can cause some serious issues like tissue recession in your corals. Have you checked for pests? That can be a possibility too. I recommend you just stick to the standard regimen of a 10% weekly water change for now. Don't kill yourself trying to get your phos and nitrates to read zero. A little in your system is perfectly fine. Maybe you should discontinue the use of Zeo for now until your system stabilizes. You may doing more damage then good.

StarF
06/10/2009, 03:48 PM
moste of the stuff is from my older tank, when i moved it i started to get a lot of problems, and lost quite a few things. things has ben dying then grew a bit then dyed a bit, and i am just tired of not finding the right cause! and ofcource its the most speciel things that dies first.

the po4 is measured with rowa kit.
the no3 is salifers

i dont think its the po4 remover, as i ben using it for a while.just started zeo the other day, as desperat atemt to see if that stops my problems.. i tryed everything else.

big water changes, and so on.

only think i can say is i found a broken thermometer in the tank, after a few things started dying.. took me a few monh to get all the damn small metal balls up..

did something like 30% water change then another 20%, and have ben running active carbon since.. and my problems did seem to stop, but recenly they have reemerged.

StarF
06/10/2009, 03:54 PM
last have cheked for pests, with no luck.. dont seem to be anything.

StarF
06/14/2009, 09:42 AM
could and tell me if i have to little flow in my tank ?

4x tunze 6100 for 1224l/323 gallons

lecher
06/14/2009, 10:47 AM
Hard to say for sure, but if I were in your situation, I would stop using GFO and stop or cut way back on Zeo dosing. I can only use very small amounts of GFO (about a teaspoon mixed in with my carbon changed every 2 weeks) or else some of my acros start to stn from the base up. I would also cut back on my photo period some until I figured out what was causing the issue. IMO having low nutrients and blasting the corals with intense light for long periods can be problematic. I know this is very frustrating, especially when you are trying to do everything right. Every tank is different, but for me cutting way back on the GFO helped me. Good luck.

StarF
06/14/2009, 10:48 AM
i have the HQI light on for 7 hours a day should i cut that down further?

GFO ? what do you mean by that?

lecher
06/14/2009, 10:58 AM
Granular Ferric Oxide, its a type of phosphate remover. I might would cut it back to 5 hrs a day for awhile and see what happens,
your corals might just color up some, mine did when I cut my T5 daylight bulbs to 6hrs. down from 9hrs.

StarF
06/14/2009, 11:00 AM
tnx, gonna try and remove it all then. my phosfate have dropped from 0,14 to 0,096 in a week.. dont know if that is to fast a drop or not?

but i had the isues even before i started to remove po4.

bogg
06/14/2009, 11:29 AM
If you running zeo with a kh of 10 you could be causing the rtn. For zeo they recommend a kh of 6-8. download the guide from there forum and read it imo hth.

StarF
06/14/2009, 11:59 AM
i know, i am slowly lowering my kh... i dont think its the one causing the isue, as the zeo is still in the first week fase, and i had ben having this isue for 6 month.