PDA

View Full Version : How are they caught???

Bladeslinger
06/10/2009, 03:38 PM
just a random question I've always wondered... dunno if this is the right thread to put it in... but w/e.

What methods are used to catch our tank buddies?? i've gone snorkeling n seen blennies dart into holes... small fish hiding within crevices of rocks... and wondered... how do the pro's catch these guys?? blennies... seem impossible...

Do u guys know how its done? is it fish traps? nets? how? i have trouble catching a fish in a 50 gallon... so how in the hell are they caught in the ocean with rocks you can't remove??

(just fyi...im not going to go out and try to catch a wild fish)

jenglish
06/10/2009, 04:09 PM
slurp guns and nets are used.... there are more unsavory ways of collection using chemicals that are illegal in most places but still used.

WaterKeeper
06/10/2009, 04:10 PM
Usually they use a gizmo like a vacuum pump to catch marine fish but that is mainly the pros and biologists. The most common method is just to chase them down with a hand net. Unfortunately, some fish are tranquilized with chemicals like rotenone or cyanide. When buying fish make sure they are net caught or captured by other humane methods that don't use chemicals.

WaterKeeper
06/10/2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks Jeremy,

I didn't know that vacuum pump devise was called a slurp gun. :D

Crustman
06/10/2009, 05:37 PM
They use birds called Gannets at night with a ring around their neck so they can't swallow your reef fish when they catch them. Just kidding, you use slurp guns and clear nets and often a teaser stick. The habits of the fish are observed and you have to place your net where the fish will escape the rock or coral.

Crustman
06/10/2009, 05:44 PM
Oops they are Cormorants not Gannets and they use them in China.

PDAlber
06/10/2009, 06:42 PM
I dive on a regular basis with a commercial diver who collets tropical fish in South Florida. Most commercials (here) use hand-held nets to collect fish. There are two basic types: one made of very fine monofilament mesh, and the other made of soft clear plastic with screen on the bottom. Both have their pro's and con's. I have never seen them use slurp guns. Some use quinaldine (spelling?), which is basically an anesthetic used to make catching the fish easier. It is used in a squirt bottle and can be very effective, especially on fish that hide in the rocks. The use of quinaldine in Florida is restricted to commercial divers with a special use permit (the industry is strictly regulated) .

stee0217
06/10/2009, 06:47 PM
Interesting thread

Bladeslinger
06/10/2009, 06:57 PM
cool. good info. now i know.

n00by
06/10/2009, 07:19 PM
Haven't you seen Finding Nemo? lol...