PDA

View Full Version : Best place to purchase colonies to get prop system going?

CBehr
06/11/2009, 05:43 AM
I've been fragging various leathers, zoa's, frogspawns etc for some time now and want to move more into the higher end spectrum of things and get away from the $5-10 frags. I don't know that I want to go the typical sps route and am thinking of picking up a few nice acan and/or chalice collines to frag. Any great places you guys typically purchase larger colony sized corals from? I typically check out bluezooaquatics and DR F&S. Should I keep my eyes open for RC sellers or check out any other good websites?

nauticac4
06/11/2009, 01:45 PM
People tearing down systems has been the ticket with me. Got some nice big slimers and such from a guy tearing down a 400 gallon tank.

Other than that you best bet is to grow them.

metalmulisha
06/13/2009, 01:38 AM
All depends. If you want bali propogated items their cheap. But if your looking for highend items I'd keep an eye opened for tank breakdowns or people needing money. But even highend items still demand a good amount of money spent.

reefboy1994
06/19/2009, 07:50 PM
if you are looking for zoa colonies then i would go to atlanticseafarms.net he is selling some big and colorful colonies for $30-$50 i bought one and it is amazing!

redfishsc
06/23/2009, 08:16 PM
I've had good luck at frag swaps at bigger LFS's, just go around and ask folks what kind of larger colonies they have.

I have gotten larger colonies of SPS (keep in mind I have a 10 and a 20 gallon, lol) and fragged them in half--- kept the nicer half and cut the other half into frags.

I always end up getting my money back by selling the frags once they start to encrust.