PDA

View Full Version : Need help with stocking order

johno4
06/11/2009, 06:47 AM
I am going to be getting back into the "game" with a 120 fowlr in the next week or two. The wife and I have discussed the stocking plans and this is our list.

Foxface
Dogface puffer
Flame angel
Yellow tang
Pinkface wrasse
Picasso trigger

We already have the foxface so it will be first. I was thinking about adding them in the order I have above at increments of 2 at a time. Im not sure about when to add the puffer or the wrasse. Let me know what you think.

John

kirkaz
06/11/2009, 07:43 AM
I think the Huma in last is a good idea, I think the order you listed is good as long as the Puffer is smallish. Also make sure you have a good amount of established LR for the Flame Angel as they are often slow to accept prepared food and graze on LR at first.

MatthewLaw
06/11/2009, 08:24 AM
i would add the yellow tang towards the end too! i would probably add the flame angel towards the beginning to get him eating before the aggressive trigger/tang are introduced.

johno4
06/11/2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks guys. Im not sure on the wrasse, any thoughts? What do you guys think about the list? I am curious to know your opinions. Thanks in advance.

John

kenqc
06/11/2009, 02:16 PM
pretty nice list with basically a representative from each of the most common family of fishes that we keep. What no damsels? LOL. IME I like to add one fish at a time for a few reasons. First I like to make sure there are no water quality issues. Second, after getting a fish, I like to make sure that the tank is big enough. Third, I like to make sure that the fish is heatlhy that I add. Someone on here has a tagline that says if you go to fast (with your reef or fish only tank) you are going to crash.

johno4
06/11/2009, 03:07 PM
I do plan on running a stict quarentine on all new fish. I have a 24" x 24" cube that I plan to use as a QT. I will add them slow as the fish will spend at least 4 weeks in QT before adding them too the display. I learned this lesson the hard way a couple years ago.

DamnPepShrimp
06/11/2009, 03:34 PM
If your going to do in pairs, I'd add the flame in with the foxface, then the tang and puffer (assuming both juvi's) then the trigger and wrasse. The wrasse and trigger pose the most threat IMO.

MatthewLaw
06/11/2009, 03:57 PM
from personal experience, the puffer is probably one of the most docile fish in my tank. i think aggression would be from trigger, tang and wrasse.

johno4
06/11/2009, 05:34 PM
Damnpep, wrasse with trigger? Ok good to know, the wrasse is what I was not sure of.

Matthew, I kind of figured the puffer should be one of the first.

I was going to get the puffer and angel first and add them together. Should I just start off with the angel? The foxface I have had for almost a year and dont plan on putting through qt. He has been through two tank moves and has never shown a single sign of any type of parasite so I was going to put him right in the 120 once set up.

MatthewLaw
06/11/2009, 05:44 PM
you could start off with the angel but for the most part they (puffer and angel) eat very different foods, so you should not have any aggression issues in the feeding department. my puffer eats mussels and chunks of scallops. my angel ate mysis and blood worms. in fact each fish would pretty ignore the other's food!

DamnPepShrimp
06/11/2009, 06:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15177268#post15177268 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by johno4
Damnpep, wrasse with trigger? Ok good to know, the wrasse is what I was not sure of.

Its a thalassoma genus wrasse right? They get fiesty, so if that is the case, yes with the fiest trigger.

johno4
06/12/2009, 06:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15177546#post15177546 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DamnPepShrimp
Its a thalassoma genus wrasse right? They get fiesty, so if that is the case, yes with the fiest trigger.

Yes, but they max at around 7" so I cant imagine they are as bad as some of the larger wrasses. Thanks for the imput guys.